• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

hard wiring radio

pons

Reaction score
I've mounted a small Sony am/fm battery operated radio. The vibration on bike creates a harmonic that shuts radio off. Replacing the battery is a quick and short lasting fix.
Is it possible to hardwire this radio to my 12volt system? Is it as easy as just wiring to the terminals that battery uses? :help:

What kind of battery does the radio use? Two AA batteries in series produces 3 volts. I suspect you would need to somehow reduce the voltage to that value or you may burn it up. I'll bet you could find something to do that at Radio Shack.

Another option would be just to clip the radio to a velcro or nylon strap mounted on the bike, or even some other part of the bike to reduce the vibration. Some GPS devices have trouble with "bouncing" batteries inside the unit. Some people resolve the problem by padding them with a bit of electrical tape down one side or wrapped around the ends to reduce vibration.

Thanks for the good advice, it uses two double "A''. I had'nt thought about using tape to decrease vibration. I'll try that next.

Those same people who pad the batteries in their GPS units also warn that you should reinforce the metal contacts that make the actual electrical connection. They say the vibration can cause these contacts to crack and eventually break.

They recommend taking foam earplugs and cutting out a tiny wedge using an X-acto knife and using that to cushion the contacts. I don't know if they superglue them or just count on pressure to keep the wedges in place.

I do not have any personal experience with this, so it may be hog slop.

Here's an excellent product:

R/C Airplane Foam Rubber Sheets

This is what I use to protect the receivers in my planes - it has excellent vibration dampening qualities. There are various manufactureres. Just be sure to use actual foam rubber and not some other material like polystyrene. You can get them in various thicknesses and it should be available at any hobby store that sells radio-controlled airplane accessories.

As far as the hard wiring part goes, you can pick up adaptors pretty readily that will work on a 12v battery. CD players and cell phones have been using them for years. If your current radio doesn't have a plug-in for a power supply, you may just want to buy another inexpensive radio that includes a 12v plugin, and perhaps also throws in a cord. Might save you some hard-wire headaches; I would probably start with radio shack.

I keep my mp3/radio in my jacket pocket, makes it easier to geto on and off the bike that way too.

Back