• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I suck....

Fittysom'n

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Tuesday May 10th I attended Reg Pridmore's "CLASS".
To simply say that it did not live up to my expectations....
would be polite, but not the whole story:

I got virtually no instruction, and certainly no one-on-one attention. Reg stood in front of 'B Group' rambling and repeating himself, obviously his heart wasn't into it. When I was moved to 'A Group', Reg didn't hold ANY kind of class when we came in from off the track, and there were maybe 5 of us who wanted and anxiously waited for instruction.... The rest of 'A Group' were CLASS groupies who had no need nor desire for any kind of instruction. In short, the classroom experience was essentially non-existent.

I had difficulty telling who the instructors were. Later deciding that all but two had absolutely no interest nor investment in their assigned function and didn't even bother going to the track to offer their help. Three of the instructors introduced at the beginning of the day had recent get-offs and had no plans of even getting on a bike.

Reg was shameless in his attempt to solicit students who might be interested in giving him $25 to ride on the back of his Honda VFR1200. His wife seemed desperate to get money for some old & dusty CLASS baseball caps, dingy & dirty ill-folded t-shirts, a single pair of HELD gloves, a fleece jacket, and odd looking jean jackets with "CLASS" embroidered on them.

I had a heck of a good time, and I got a chance to ride balls-out with no fear of traffic, oil spills, or gravel.
But NOBODY told me that my riding form sucked.....

I wasn't told that I was stiff-arming it (despite my attempt to keep my arms bent & loose), I had no idea how or where to place my outside knee, where to put my inside heel, the balls of my feet, placement of my head, my inside arm..... etc. I learned these things AFTER THE FACT when an acquaintance (who USED TO teach with CLASS) saw the picture below.

In summation:
CLASS sucks and ripped me off of an additional $100 for a day promising more track time, one-on-one instruction, and personal attention. Where normally he charges $250 on this track for a day, I paid $350 because they limited it to 'A Group' & 'B Group'.... no 'C Group' to take up additional time, space, and track time.

And I suck,
as can be seen by the beautifully produced photograph below, with my poorly executed body form & riding style fronting me off as a wannabe, a CLASS attendee who was taught nothing, and as an old man who's decided that it might be too late (and too expensive).....
to teach THIS old dog, new tricks.

Ian Donald, photographer. Infineon Raceway, CA at turn 2.
Anybody wanna buy an SV set up for 250 pounds?

ME-3.jpg

You cant fool us, we can all see by the picture that no one else is even close to keeping up with you....Seriously, its too bad they didnt live up to your expectations or give you your moneys worth. I always wanted to do a track day but down here in So Ca there really isnt a close place to do a track day although the new Chuckwalla track in the Palm spring area might be an option.

If at first you don't succeed...

My recommendation would be to give up on CLASS, not on track days. Seek another instructor.

yamadavidson,
I was fast, I passed everybody in B Group, I caught up to and passed some folks in A Group..... and then a formation of 4 bikes passed me like I was standing still on a tight sweeper where my little 650 should have had an advantage. Can you say, HUMBLED!?
I complained of dragging my foot pegs, only to have it explained to me that my body position was forcing the bike onto the VERY EDGE of my tires, whereas IF I used correct "Body Steering", I would have been afforded more rubber on the road and a better angle of attack w/o dragging any hard parts.
Yeah, I thought I was fast too, NOT!
------------

I think I can get another Track Day (or two?) outa these BT016's that came with an extra set of wheels I bought for track dayz......
Okay, alright, think I'll seek out some instruction before I retire to a Dyna Glide......

Soooo... I've been advised to look into:
Keigwins on the Track,
Zoom Zoom,
Pacific Track Time,
Let's Ride,
and of course the rather pricey (and COOL) Kieth Code School.

I hafta look for Tracks/schools that will allow me to use my (new!!) Motoport two piece (w/zipper at the back) suit, and leather engineer boots (nobody makes motorcycle boots in a size 6 1/2 EEEEE....). Jus' hadda order a new chain & sprockets (only 10,000 miles outa the OEM???), finally found myself a new brake lever that hinges (bent the OEM 8,000 miles ago), need a new air filter, and then get myself some Q2's.

You're right, I shouldn't give up so soon. I'm just tripp'n about all the money it's gonna cost me.

well it *sounds* like, unfortunately for you, maybe it's the beginning of the end for this particular school?

the economy is certainly harming people, and business'. So can't blame yourself, no way yer gonna know what's coming or for whom, none of us know that.

from what you describe, doesn't sound good for them, that's for sure.

Bring yourself (edited :) ) down and experience some southern hospitality. Fly out to Atlanta and sign up for X-Act "B" group for Barber July 9th and/or 12th for that day/weekend. I can pick you up in Atlanta and then we can head to the track. I guarantee you'll have more instruction than you can absorb in one day/weekend. I usually sleep at the track or at a hotel close by.

Pete at xacttech2000@yahoo.com
Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=130417283683186

I'd be quite proud of that shot if it was me .At firt glance i thought Hailwood.;-);-)

looks like you're at about max lean for that bike before hard parts start scraping, which you DO NOT want. Hard parts scraping can lead to a high side

slide your butt off the seat, and push the bike away from you. You'll get a tighter turn radius with less lean angle. When sliding off the seat, don't rotate around the tank, but rather think of the bike as being on an X,Y axis, and the seat is the center. The bike is on Y, and you move your body back and forth on X.
Also, having the balls of your feet on the pegs helps a lot.

don't give up on track days, they're way too much fun. I've found that if you hang out in the paddock, you can find the fast guys and pick their brains. Most that I've met are more than willing to help a noob.

I like the shot of a foot peg dragging rather than the Extend Knee just to get a knee down pictures and some riders I've seen. Get involved with the riders that are faster than you. Sorry to hear the CLASS sucked. They used to be good. Did it in Texas years ago on a '95 R11GS BMW. Fun fun and learn learn learn. ;-)

yamadavidson,
I was fast, I passed everybody in B Group, I caught up to and passed some folks in A Group..... and then a formation of 4 bikes passed me like I was standing still on a tight sweeper where my little 650 should have had an advantage. Can you say, HUMBLED!?
I complained of dragging my foot pegs, only to have it explained to me that my body position was forcing the bike onto the VERY EDGE of my tires, whereas IF I used correct "Body Steering", I would have been afforded more rubber on the road and a better angle of attack w/o dragging any hard parts.
Yeah, I thought I was fast too, NOT!

:lol2: one of my more humbling track day experiences was at TWS. I was riding B group on my SV650s, just passed a few supersports and feeling good [maybe a little cocky]. Then, mid turn an instructor on a ninja 250 passed me on the inside like I was parked. I never caught up with him either :doh:

It's late, I wanna go to bed, and I'm full of apple pie & ice cream......
- but -
I wanted to thank everybody's enthusiasm and encouragement that I not give up so soon.....

DaveC & Valker,
Hmmm..... American Superbike School and Streetmasters? I gotta read through that link you provided, thanks.

poser,
Believe it or not, that little 250 has a reputation that precedes it..... and I was looking at 'em for the purpose of taking to the track and learning how to ride. I settled on the SV650 and am NOT dissapointed!

achesley,
I'm sorry, but trying to "get a knee down" for the sole purpose of 'getting a knee down' is just lame. It's the physics, the mechanics, a technique used to maximize your foot print and allow the bike & suspension to do it's job with no interferance of the monkey riding it..... In short, I AGREE WITH YOU!

Tasi,
I was sooooo jazzed to receive that image (and there's more yet to come!!), but when I learned that a trained eye could see that I had NO IDEA what I was doing by simply glancing at my body mechanics.... well, I've been given reason to be ashamed of myself for not knowing how to ride (correctly). I can only hope that Ian Donald includes an image of me that doesn't give me away as a sucky racer/rider.....

Ga-Bandit,
Looks like I hafta wait for a day or so for my (old) Facebook account to be reactivated before I can see what you sent to me. Can you PM me a link to that Barber event July 9th and/or 12th (unless that's what you did via Facebook)? I could soooo like to visit Barber. What with the way I've been spending my retirement money lately, I might hafta eat PB&J's and lay low for a couple months to do a road trip/fly to Atlanta. That would be just sooo cool!

Thanks everyone, time to turn in and dream of leaning off, bent arms, balls of my feet on the pegs, and one knee extended w/the other tucked to the tank. Visualize Pat, visualize......

There is an old saying in the surf world .Goes something like

"The best rider out there is the one having the most fun."

You may have won .:trust:

Pat, this picture should help with some of the things you mention, hopefully it won't be too big...

second.jpg

Heck it is a big pic but maybe that makes it easier to see the important parts... (it was too big, so this is a scaled down version, this is a link to the original large pic)

So what I'm doing in this pic (going through Deals Gap), is putting the balls of my feet on the pegs, and thus using my legs to support my upper body, as it is leaned forward. That forward lean (and no weight on our wrists) is what allows us to keep our elbows bent and arms relaxed. (not as easy to see, but my back is kind of arched in, which also helps, thus using back muscles too).

This takes some practice, and building of leg (and back) muscle strength. And of course one doesn't "always" ride like this, but one certainly does if you want the bike to be "responsive" in the twisties.

The reason this position is promoted is because when you're "stiff armed" and all your weight is on your wrists, your "input" to the bike, isn't being fought by the weight you have on the other hand grip.

In other words, to make the bike quickly change direction (in a chicane etc), one presses down on the hand grip. But if you have your weight on both hand grips, pressing on one will not be as responsive because your kind of fighting your weight that's on the other hand grip.

Now, if you have no weight on the hand grips, when you press with one, that bike is going to instantly do what you tell it to. It'll be more responsive then you ever thought possible.

These things work together, you really can't get the weight off your wrists and your elbows bent (and keep them there), if your not on the balls of your feet.

It takes practice, but it really does pay off. When I ride normally down a street now, if there's a lot of traffic and lots of possibility to need to emergency swerve out of the way of something, I'm on the balls of my feet and very loose arms, because I may need real fast input to the bike to get out of the way of something / someone.

hope that helps a little, Hank

Ga-Bandit,
Looks like I hafta wait for a day or so for my (old) Facebook account to be reactivated before I can see what you sent to me. Can you PM me a link to that Barber event July 9th and/or 12th (unless that's what you did via Facebook)? I could soooo like to visit Barber. What with the way I've been spending my retirement money lately, I might hafta eat PB&J's and lay low for a couple months to do a road trip/fly to Atlanta. That would be just sooo cool!

You should be able to see the information without being signed into facebook since Pete has it set to open but here it is (and his contact information): and all you'll need is to bring your gear to be able to ride this:rider:. I have family in Oakdale and Concord near you. I go in and out of SFO with roundtrip costs of $430 nonstop. Call Pete and chat with him. Don't feel bad, I gotta eat PB&J sammies and oatmeal to pay for these too.

About: X-ACT Motorsports, Inc is a South Eastern track day organization that caters to those who want a safe, no hassle, no membership event that will want you coming back and riding with us again

Barber Motorsports Park - July 9-10, 2011

Time: Saturday, July 9 at 7:00am - July 10 at 5:00pm

Created By: X-ACT Motorsports, Inc

More Info: $185.00 per day or $345.00 for both days, ($192.00/$359.00 via paypal) or you can mail a money order, contact via email - xacttech2000@yahoo.com or by phone - 313-350-3311

Lunch will be included for paid riders, suspension support from Ohlins factory and tire support from Stickboy Racing/Bridgestone.

Awesome picture fitty!! Don’t be to hard on your self at least you got out on the track and road to your potential, to me that’s a achievement all by it’s self.

Thanks FDM,

I got a call Friday for an opportunity to join in on another track day, but this time WITH instruction.... The clincher is ('cause I really can't afford it), the day was offered to me at a significantly reduced rate! Back at Infineon/(Sears Point), and without the butterflies prior to my last visit to Infineon.

Fitty, I'm with FDM. You got out there and did it! And now you've got that first-time out of the way so everything's going to be amazing next time. It's a good pic if for no other reason that you can see how you're improving next time :sun: I think you're off to a great start and it's just going to keep getting better!

Fitty: you had a contract that they broke. That's what small claims court is for!
sign me as ET who's been to court in the past:zen:

there's a guy selling both days at Barber for $300 paypal or $290 by check for July 8th & 10th

After another Track Day (with instruction) yesterday, and I must say that this race track stuff can truly be addicting. I think though, that I may have OVERextended myself this month.... what with two track days and unexpected (expensive) expenses.

I am in denial and haven't gone in to look at where I stand, but I fear my bank account is upside-down by about $1,600.
However, I might just hafta Mapquest how far Barber is from the left coast, break out the tent and Thermarest, and consider a road trip..... TWO DAYS FOR $300?!?!???

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Fitty: the truth; you ARE addicted, AND in denial:trust::rofl::clap::lol2: since most of us only get to go around once, go for it!
Sign me as your long lost friend in the PNW awaiting to put the new shoes on to do the 36 twisties!

Back