• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping food!?

Reaction score
So since the topic of cookers is alive and well and helped me as well I figured I would ask what you guys recommend for roughly 6 days of camping? Since I was packing light and have a huge bag I was thinking of bringing some sealed water bottles just in case and not sure about food yet. Cheaper the better but also don't want to be hungry half way through the day as I already get hungry when I'm on the bike for some reason! :rofl: Space is kind of important but not so much since like I said I have a big bag. Thanks for any tips! :eat:

If you are going to be within "civilized" areas throughout the day and camping at night, this can be as easy or as complicated as you want.

If you carry a hydration pack, fill it to the brim during your last stop of the day. If you can, fill it with ice (ask nicely or offer up $1 to the clerk at the gas station to get the ice from the fountain so you don't have to carry or waste a whole bag).

Plan for anything you buy to be eaten fresh for dinner then store what's left for breakfast. Lunch is typically eaten on the road. You can have cheese, meat, etc. as long as you cook it within a reasonable time since you won't be able to keep it chilled. Tortillas are the perfect camping bread.

Bring seasonings & spices with you in small baggies so you don't have to buy more than you want to have to haul home after the trip is over. I also bring a small travel shampoo bottle with olive oil and some folded-up foil pieces from home.

Typical dinner: Steak with onions, roasted veggies or a potato, and beans. Pop the lid on the beans and stick them in the fire or into the bbq coals, wrap the tater in foil and do the same. (the white blobs are fry bread - I tried those instead of tortillas and they aren't worth the effort)
889138718_CdGrP-M.jpg

Typical breakfast: Cut up what's left of the potato, onion, and steak. Mix with eggs and pile into tortillas. Don't forget some fruit!
889138702_fYicQ-M.jpg

The next night was pork chops with squash. We grabbed an artisan bread from the store and it's the large thing in foil off to the side warming up.
889138632_NaJf5-M.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Squeaky, I'm riding with you next time..... :eat:

I've sort of taken a different approach to eating on the road. I try to go the all pre-packaged route so I spend as little time as possible doing cooking and cleaning. Also, much depends on your location and method (ie: camping or hotels)

Generally, I eat lunch on the road and usually at a fast-food place or grab a sammie/beverage and snack at a noonish fuel stop. I too fill up the Camelbak with ice and let it melt over the course of the afternoon allowing for cold beverage during the ride.

Dinner depends on the situation and weather. If I'm in town, I'll try and find a local eatery and enjoy a local meal preferring the dive joints. If I'm on the road in the stix, or it's late, or inclement weather and in the tent, I most probably will have tried to grab a can or two of ravioli or stew which stashes easily in the side case. No heating necessary and all you need is a spork.

Breakfasts are always light for me typically consisting of an energy bar and water.

As you can see, food isn't high on my list while on the scoot...

I tend to subscribe to M38A1's philosophy when on the road, but I like Squeaky's better.

As far as cleanup goes, each person has one plate and one set of utensils. I do have some camp pots (the lids are pans) that are easy to clean also. While I'm cleaning up after breakfast Jamey is prepping the bikes and getting all the gear back out of the tent.

Eating good food back at camp is part of the draw for me. :eat:

If I'm going to be traveling though a city at least once that day which is pretty much every day I'll just stop and grab some ramen or some canned food of some kind once a day and use that during that night.

If I'm going to be out away from civilization such as down in the Big Bend area I pick up the freeze dried meals that only require some boiling water to eat. They are very high in sodium though for those of ya'll that are health consious.

Maybe pick up a few singles of beer or and a bottle of coke or something and it's quick and easy to get and clean up and dispose of.

I use a Coleman Peak 1 and a brunton pot to heat everything up.

Six days of camping off the bike would suggest picking up food at the last gas stop of the day. Canned pasta, or those dehydrated meals from Hormel or Marie Calendar work well in a pot.

Grazing on trail mix and water all day can negate lunch if you have to make miles. It can keep you going until lunch or dinner without getting hungry or feeling tired from sugar level drops. Keep it right in your tank bag and munch as you ride. On easy days or days when camp is made early a late lunch in a restaurant is a nice treat. If camping in one spot for more than a night is in order then you can lay in food to keep the spending in check.

Breakfast of oatmeal and coffee with a Cliff Bar or yogurt for protein is a good way to kick of the day. Dried egg meals from Mountain House are pretty good but spendy per meal per person.

If I'm near civilization where I happen to be camping (less than 10'ish miles or so) I'll either just grab a meal on my way to camp, or set up camp and then head back out for grub. By the time I buy a $6-7 dried dinner from REI, carry it with me all the way to where I'm going and then cook the dang thing, I might as well have spent a dollar more and have someone cook me a fresh meal and do the cleanup.

Now if I am off in the middle of nowhere I basically subscribe to Scott's way of cooking minus breakfast. I'll always carry some eggs, jerky and tortillas with me for some quick protein filled breakfast tacos before heading out for the day.

There's also the dollar menu option. You can't beat a chicken sandwich or double cheese burger for 1 **** dollar. Only thing cheaper is Ramen noodles.

That's pretty funny. The truck I drove in the Marines had a huge horizontally mounted spare tire up on the back of the truck. You can see it in the middle here...

Scan10007.jpg

The wheel is painted black and in the desert sun in the middle of the day that wheel gets HOT! I'd use some parachute cord to secure my mre packets in there while I was driving around. Then when I'd stop I'd have a nice hot lunch waiting for me. :eat:

Manifold Destiny is not actually the original top-of-the-engine cookbook. If I remember correctly, the original was written by a couple who traveled a lot in his job (he was a salesman). They tired of eating in cafes and such, and longed for real home-cooked meals. So they developed recipes with instructions such as, "Wrap all ingredients in two layers of heavy aluminum foil, place on the manifold, and drive at 65 MPH for three hours." :lol2:

Back