• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

XR 600 Tracker project

Reaction score
First Name
tom
Last Name
mccarroll
Here's the chronology of my current project, a '94 XR600r. I bought it a few years ago, it was already street legal (Baja Designs kit and some fancy footwork at the Tennessee DMV by the PO) I thought it would be a fun around-town chaser after I put the super-moto wheels and tires on it. Well, I don't live in town anymore, I had some time on my hands and I decided to play around with it.

I had a flat tracker seat in the shop, I bought a 'glass tank from Omar's and started mocking up a new rear subframe. It went together very easily--too easily, because I had removed the exhaust system and forgot to allow for pipe clearance on the right side. A little heat'n'beat engineering fixed that.

Here's how it looked yesterday. I still have to build an airbox, but I think it's almost ready for a shakedown run.

rt

Attachments

• rtm.jpg
    rtm.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 311
It's alive! Fired it up this morning and took a little shakedown cruise on some gravel roads near my house. It needs more traction...

rt

Attachments

• its alive!.jpg
    its alive!.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 277
That's a fact, Bud. Ever spend any time at the Wecome Store?

rt

Quite a bit Played some volleyball there as a kid, and stopped in to get soda
while riding the roads as a teen there. I was usually on the TL250 or one of our Sl's

We lived in Industry in the large two story house right across from Ausmans Cafe

Update: Got the 19" front wheel on and some semi-knobs for more traction in the gravel. If it ever stops raining, I'll try it out!

671021.jpg

rt

Man, I really like that! It's really close to a little project I have in mind. Wouldn't want to sell it would you? ;-)

Brad: Everything's for sale-it's just a question of price! I'm on the road right now, I'll PM you when I get home next week.

rt

After a little time to ride it and sort out a few bugs, I'm pulling it apart for cleanup and paint:

IMG_0228_zpsca49474f.jpg

IMG_0229_zpsbdc85bde.jpg

I'm thinking a red frame with red and white bodywork, maybe a red rising sun on a white background. Any suggestions?

rt

B78: I'd love to, but I haven't figured out how just yet. Any help is welcome! It's currently stripped to the bare frame for paint etc.

rt

B78: I'd love to, but I haven't figured out how just yet. Any help is welcome! It's currently stripped to the bare frame for paint etc.

rt

Internal spacers forks and shock.

Shock is about a 1:4 ratio fork is 1:1

rearshock_zpsc487fe4a.jpg

I grabbed this diagram off BikeBandit. Can you tell me where to put the spacer?

rt

rearshock_zpsc487fe4a.jpg

I grabbed this diagram off BikeBandit. Can you tell me where to put the spacer?

rt

The lowering shim goes between the valve stack clamp shim and the oil seal assembly.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The shock has to come apart, the peened over part of the shock shaft at valve stack nut is ground off in a very specific way so you do not remove the peen that retains the needle... then nut comes off, valve stack removed, and shim installed..

All back together and fill with oil, bleed air, charge with dry nitrogen to about 175 psi.

Attachments

• SPLS.shaftS150.jpg
    SPLS.shaftS150.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 465
  • lowering shim.jpg
    lowering shim.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
If you do this, as it's an OLD shock.. plan on a rebuild.
Bottoming bumper
oil seal and dust seal
Shaft Bushing
oil
and lowering shim
AT A Minimum.
Maybe a bladder as well......and that assumes the shaft is in good condition, no pitting, flaking chrome, dings or dents.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've done this before! You're not that far from me--would you be willing to walk me through it?

rt

Sounds like you've done this before! You're not that far from me--would you be willing to walk me through it?

rt

NO.......:-D

Wellll, ok...

Yes I’ve done a few Showa shocks......Mostly DR, DRZ and YZF and RM.. but the older one on your XR is not much different.

If you want to supply parts, fluids and participate.. we can pick a day and your welcome to come on over. PM we can set something up.

If your wanting it done for you.. PM me and I'll send you a time line and quote.

Erik

Back