• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #57: A List (ENTRY)

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #57: "A list".

There are many ways that this assignment may be fulfilled, as "A List" may be taken to mean different things, opening up a very diverse array of photographic subjects. Creative interpretation of the subject counts for a lot this time. Surprise me.

Camera phones, p&s/DSLR's, or even film.... all shooters are welcome. For this assignment, you may post-possess for w/b, saturation, sharpness and such, BUT YOU MAY NOT CROP. No major photoshopping is allowed. Get the framing right in the camera. All FORUM posting rules apply.

This thread is for one single entry from each of you which must have been taken between Tuesday the 24th (today) and 11:59 p.m. Monday, June 6.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted.

Photographs should stand on their own , paying close attention to creativity, proper focus, composition, exposure, lighting, depth of field and so forth.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until midnight, June 6, 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
P1190530.jpg

LakeNorman.png

Camera Model = NIKON D90
Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/640 second ===> 0.00156 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 13/1 ===> ƒ/13
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Original Date/Time = 2011:06:04 15:09:28
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/640 second
Aperture = ƒ/13
Flash = Flash did not fire
Focal Length = 310/10 mm ===> 31 mm

This is the third time I've tried to post this. Sorry about the delay.

Voni- Nice comp, soft focus. Subject is very nice and flavorful.

Pglaves- framing is there, well balanced. Focus is soft.

Tracker- I like your slant on things. Very nice photo. Comp is spot on, focus is as well.

B. Wade- Tons of motion, leaning, vistas galore. Exciting shot, but the color is flat, and I would have liked to be 'over' the guardrail.

NUTT- This really tells a touching story. It makes me remember my first kid being born. I love the comp and the selective focus. It draws you eye right to the prize. Photo is soft and neutral in tone, with good contrast. The orange pillow is the only color in the shot and is slightly distracting.

M38A1- Stunning photo. Wonderful framing and comp. Meet's the definition of 'A list' in multiple ways. Solid focus, perfect exposure.

A very hard decision, but NUTT takes this one due to subject. Babies win, but I want a poster of that M31A1.

Cool! I'll post up a topic in the morning.

An amazing group of shots on a challenging subject, mine excluded.
I think Nutt & M38A1's are both super awesome.
BWade, if you crop yours where the bottom red/white edge line leads to the lower left corner, I think it'd be in that same category. I know we were restricted on cropping for the entry.

Congrats, Nutt, well executed, composed, shot, everything.

Nice work guys and gals......

I think the group might be getting the hang of this, huh? :clap:

Thank you all for the kind words on the photo. My wife is due in 3 weeks and was kind enough to pose for me when I told her about this topic and what I was trying to do.

Camera: Nikon D7000
Lens: Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX

ISO 100
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 1/40
Focal Length: 35mm (52mm equivalent)

Manual mode, auto white balance, no flash.

This was late afternoon natural light, from the right, through a set of north facing windows. The image is straight out of the camera with no post processing.

Voni and Paul-
I was curious as to why both of your shots appeared soft. Thinking you used the same camera, I looked at the EXIF information on both and was surprised it's NOT the same camera! What I did notice was the really slow shutter speeds for each. As in 1/9th and 1/8th of a second. That's a really tough one to hand hold and shoot yet keep the subject sharp.

A thought would be for future reference to possibly increase the ISO setting some for an indoor type shot like that. You'll trade off a bit of noise pushing the 800 mark, but the soft focus should be reduced considerable. That or the flash (which totally messes with glass items and reflections), or a little 4" compact tripod and the release on remote or timed would also work.

And don't forget to set it back to a reasonable number afterward. :-)

Back