• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fuel pump fix.

Tasi

Reaction score
After 4 days trying to fix my ruining problems of no power ,top speed of
10 kph OR 110 kph and no acceleration .I traced the fault to the fuel pump
assembly .Sometimes it would work, other times it wouldn't .Pressure was
either good or poor .It looked like a dodgy fuel pump which Suzuki
want $700.If i had taken it to a dealer they would have replaced the
assembly which would have fixed the problem but cost me $1000.
I'm unemployed at the moment so that was out of the question.
I doubt VERY much i am the only person to have this problem in the past
or future.
All the pump Assembly parts.Below
IMG_2151.jpg

Below. This part of the assembly where i am pointing is where the pump fits into .
Underneath that Little hole is a mesh screen (believe me)
Insert a stripped end (copper) Of wire and use like a toothbrush .Insert wire from other side and repeat.You will feel the mess screen
IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

You will see gunk appearing .Wash out with boiling water .Repeat and repeat again .
IMG_2162.jpg

Reassemble after cleaning and checking every thing else.
In the last 4 days i could only get 15 kls .Today i did 130 and it ran like a charm .Now i wonder how many good pumps have been chuck away worth $700.
It might not work for you ,but it has got to be worth a try before you give it to the dealer .They will say you need a new pump for sure .

Good write up Tasi.

Hope this fixes your problems. So are you confident that you have thoroughly cleaned out the inside of the tank of any remaining crud.

Its spotless .The dirt in the bottom mesh was microscopic ,it was a bit more like dirty honey .Not you ,the dirt.

Nice save! :clap:

$700 to replace a fuel pump that's probably still good, outrageous.

Add your procedure to the data base for Bandit 1250's.

Great write up, have it in my GXS database now. ;-) Just never know when you will need this and at my age, forget what I read. ha ha ha ha

Way to go Tasi !! Thanks for the write up and pics. Ever figure out what it was and how that got in there?

Thanks for writeup and the pics. Your efforts, and sharing the fix, are what make this such a useful site. :clap:

Excellent job. I know there were people on the other board having fuel pump problems a while back -- I bet this was their problem as well.

trey

Data base .??

Sure. There's several write-ups found online for working on the 1250. Valve check/adjustment, suspension set-up, fuel injection, brakes. There might be other 1250 riders who have the same problems with FI and will be able to correct it using your write-up.

I'm considering doing the valve check myself, I'm using someone's write-up with photos to help with the work.

Are the gasoline stations down under really that bad?

Great write up - thanks.

36,000 kls seems a number to watch out for this type of problem.
22,500 miles is it .

Very good job! Suzuki wants outrageous amounts of money for their fuel pumps for no reason. My Strom pump was going out a long time ago and the dealer wanted $650 for a new one. After some searching I found out that a pump off of a certain GSXR would swap with it and found one off of Ebay for less than $50 shipped to my door. Good on ya, for not settling for the status quo.:thumb:

Tasi, How did you determine it was a fuel pump issue? I am having some issues with my Bandit at the moment. I was away from home for 7 months and no one started my bike even though I had asked for it to be started at least every two weeks. I had put Sta-bil in the tank before going, and I was hoping that would be enough.

I did get it to start with the use of starting fluid, however, it would quickly stop running so not getting gas seems to be the cause.

If a person disconnects the fuel line on the bottom of the tank, should it not spray fuel when you turn the key on? I get nothing out of mine. Help is greatly appreciated as I am only home for 3 weeks and would like to get some riding in before going back to Saudi Arabia.

It just felt like it was running out of fuel . I took the pump system out
and put it in a bucket of fuel . I connected it up to a battery using
LONG LEADS and noticed the fuel flow changed . Some times it was
strong and other times week .Yes ,like a prostrate problem .
WARNING i imagine it is possible to blow yourself up .
Easier way is to use the "wire toothbrush " every 30,000 kay.
If you get dirt appearing on the wire you may be onto it .

Remember mine would idle fine ,it was just when i asked for more fuel
than the strainer in the fuel system was capable of supplying .

Dump that fuel and clean the fuel pump would be a good start .IT not a complicated system and no springs to loose .Maybe change those tiny
o-rings .Cheap at bearing shop .Try running it with out that "tea bag " fuel filter . New fuel though . Clean the plugs .

Tasi,

Thank you for the reply. I looked at the screen and it appeared to be clean, even with the wire. I cleaned the strainer with compressed air, shooting from inside to out and got some "dirt" out of it, but it to looks pretty clean all things considered. I wish I would have thought to hook up the pump to a set of leads when I had it all apart and had the gas from the tank in the bucket. Is there any other way to find out if the fuel pump is working without having to pull the assembly out again? Would rather not have to pull it all back apart if it can be avoided.

I don't think it would be the plugs as it will run with starter fluid sprayed in. I will continue to troubleshoot this as don't feel like taking it in to the dealer.

It only takes 5 mins to take the pump system out .I think i did it 30 times .
Me ,i'd take it out again dry it .Hook it up to a battery for 2 seconds (no more , well i did more ) and see if the pump works .Remember its dry
NO FUEL . You will feel the pump working and a slight jump when it starts .
They say not to run it dry but a couple of seconds wont hurt .IMHO

True enough, I guess one more time is definitely better than taking it into a shop to have them figure out the problem and then charge me for a pump.

fROM bANDIT SERVICE MANUEL:
pUMP PRESSURE IS CONSTANT AT 43PSI[STUPID CAPS LOK, LOLOLOL]
ALSO, there is a pressure regulator within the pump assy, it may need to be looked at?? hope this helps, YMMV
Wally

There is also a breather hose for the fuel system. If it becomes kinked/plugged it might cause fuel starvation?? My .02 Good luck!!
Wally

Wally,

Thanks for the information, I will look at all these things. It seems likely that the pump has frozen up with 7 months of not being used. I guess it is time to break down and buy the service manual.

Back