PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Seeks Advice

rcantrell52
05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello,
In an earlier post I mentioned that we had Can Am Spyders, but am looking for my first motorcycle. I've looked at used metric cruisers from 750 to 1000 cc. I want to sit straight and when I stop, my feet will be flat on the ground. I want me feet close to me, not out in front when the bike is in motion (I'm picky!). The Victory Vegas was good and there are several BMW models which would work. The BMWs have a lot of low-end torque & the bike could possibly get away from me.
Two suggestions were to get a small bike like a Honda Rebel, learn with it & move to a bigger bike; OR, get a big bike & learn with it. (I should state I don't do well with risky issues.)
Any ideas/suggestions out there re: bike/size & brand model would be appreciated! I'm open!
Reese
Can Am Spyder RS-S/RT-S

kurt
05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I think Honda Magnas are just about everything you want. Cheap too.

http://www.tradebit.com/usr/gearheadred/pub/9002/honda-magna-750c-2000.jpg

RedPill
05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
If you don't want your feet out in front of you, you might want to look at the Honda Shadow 750. I find that my feet aren't far enough in front of me on those. They vary a bit by model. Sit a bunch of bikes, and one will work for you.

Does BMW make a cruiser? I only remember one from a few years back.

61Hudson
05-27-2011, 02:28 PM
+1
Especially the 87/88 Super Magna...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mcy/2369317897.html

sKatZ
05-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Sit a bunch of bikes, and one will work for you.

+1 for tushie-testing! That's half the fun of the hunt :sun:

wanabeguru
05-27-2011, 03:47 PM
perhaps a Bandit or its newer counterpart?

innominate
05-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Triumph Bonneville

rcantrell52
05-29-2011, 08:15 AM
G'morning!
I appreciate all input re: good starter bike! Found the info very interesting and brands/models intriguing, a couple I hadn't even thought of so my field of interest has been broadened! Maybe in the near future my search will end & I'll begin the learning process on a 2-wheeler.
Reese

DallasDon
05-29-2011, 08:36 AM
I have been in search of the same thing for years. A cruiser type bike with foot controls under your feet, not out in front and both feet flat on the ground. I have a 28" inseam so the lower the better.

Well, the Suzuki S50 and S83 fill the bill on the foot controls and flat foot scenario but they have a very small gas tank (about 100 miles per tank). Also, they are shaft driven so there is no option for changing gear ratio's and both are geared too low. At 75 or 80 the have a lot of vibration because the engine is about at it's limit due to the low gearing.

I owned both for a while and the S50 (800cc) would run with the S83 (1400cc) pretty even and was lighter. I've since sold them.

I'm still looking, but the S50 came as close to doing what I wanted as anything I've found.

rcantrell52
05-29-2011, 08:43 AM
DallasDon,
Thanks for suggesting about my bike search, my inseam is between 28 and 29 and that becomes a problem on some of the BMW bikes, especially the R series. When I'm sitting on the bikes I'm up on my tipy toes.
Looked at the Suzuki Boulevard C50T, was told it was easy to ride, forgiving. The one I sat on had forward controls & my feet were out in front.
Thanks,
Reese

DallasDon
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes, the "C" models have the controls out front, but the S50 & S90 have them right below you like sport-touring bikes. That's what attracted me. The S models are easy to ride and very forgiving. I'm use to more of a performance type of Sport Tourer so the vibrations a 80 or so turned me off but otherwise the bike was great. You might check out Craigs List and see if you can find one you can see in person. It might fill your bill.

Bye the way, I'm now 66 and ride a Kawasaki Versys. I've been riding since I was 16 and can't count the number and types of bikes I've owned.

tshelfer
05-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Hey Reese - The Rebel is a great bike, but it kinda depends on YOUR size. If you are 6' or taller, you probably won't be comfortable on it at all. Or at least, that's what my taller friends tell me - I'm 5'9" so they fit me perfectly. Also, the Rebel is a great runabout, but if you are accustomed to a CanAm, you're probably also accustomed to running with the big dogs. My fear would be that you'll be wanting a bigger bike a lot sooner than you think.

If you specifically want a cruiser, I'll second both the suggestions of a Shadow 750 or an older Honda Magna. You can usually find both of these on Craigslist easily.

Alternately, almost any older (70s or 80s) Japanese standard. Bikes just didn't use to be as tall as they are now. V-stroms & SV650s - both considered "tallish", but I can flatfoot either, and they're plenty light at around 440 lb. Ditto the Bandit, as mentioned earlier.

As Redpill said, sit on a lot of bikes. Your bottom and your feet won't lie. And for anything under 500 lb, you'll find that the weight difference is less than you think.

rcantrell52
05-29-2011, 09:39 AM
DallasDon,
I appreciate the valuable information that you have provided me. That is a great suggestion about the Suzuki models. You are making me feel younger by each post :sun:.
Thanks,
Reese

DallasDon
05-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Heck, I think anybody is younger than me!

TexasTri
05-29-2011, 01:52 PM
If you run across a Triumph Legend it may fit the bill for you. They are 885cc and the Legend was in the Classic line, and was shorter that the Thunderbird, Adventurer or Thunderbird Sport.
I have a 30 inch inseam and can easily flat foot this with room to spare. Controls are where they should be and it has plenty of power.

rcantrell52
05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Texas Tri and TSHELFER

Thanks to you both for your comments about possible bikes to consider. This adds information for future purchase. I'm about 5'9" and finding a bike that will let me keep my feet flat on the ground is important.

Reese

gkcontra
05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
You may also want to consider a Sportster 1200. With mid controls, the pegs are right under you, and the seat height is pretty forgiving.

EdSidders
05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Triumph Bonneville

+1

DasRonin
05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
look here. (not mine)

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60102

sKatZ
05-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm going to +1 for Dallas Don's suggestion about checking out the S Boulevards. I have an S40 and I am very uncomfortable having my feet too far forward on the pegs. It feels a tiny bit forward but other bikes I tried were much more heels-to-the-wind. Even the little Eliminator I used for the BRC felt too far away for me to be truly comfortable. Worth a sit! :-)

EdSidders
06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
You will have to unlearn many things after riding a 3 wheeler for some time....I can tell some funny stories about things I had to relearn after removing the sidecar after 30 K miles....:lol2:

rcantrell52
06-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Ed,
Thanks for those wise words about unlearning bad habits. That is a concern about a transition from Spyder to two wheeler.What is the yellow bike in your avatar? Wish you well on your heart cath.
Reese

MotorcycleBelle
06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I have a Suzuki S50 for sale. I can tell you what a great bike it is.

2008 S50, 13,500 miles Silver with windshield, $4000 (firm)
new battery, new back tire with about 500 miles on it

I rode this bike all over Colorado, Arkansas, and Texas with no problems.
It can easily keep up with BMW R12GS, Bandit 1250, and any other big bike if you want to. My riding buddies rode these big bikes and I kept up with them with no problems. It's an easy bike to ride and easy to maintain.

I love it but don't need two bikes. Let me know if you're interested.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/vixens50/IMG_3954.jpg

EdSidders
06-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Ed,
Thanks for those wise words about unlearning bad habits. That is a concern about a transition from Spyder to two wheeler.What is the yellow bike in your avatar? Wish you well on your heart cath.
Reese

Reese
Thanks for the kind words.....Bike in the avator is a Indian....don't remember the exact year...It's one that I redid/updated the electrical system on for my brothers friend....Dad had one similar which was built in I think 45-47....and was essentially same as a pre war bike...Ed

Hemibee
06-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Texas Tri and TSHELFER

Thanks to you both for your comments about possible bikes to consider. This adds information for future purchase. I'm about 5'9" and finding a bike that will let me keep my feet flat on the ground is important.

Reese

Triumph Bonneville

donroger1
06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Triumph Bonneville

+1

but you cannot have mine..............:mrgreen:

Marc B
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
+1 for the Bonnie, 2nd would be the mid peg Sportster 883 in stock form.