• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MIlam County Gravel Loop ride, 5/28/11

Gravel Guy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Drumm
I want to thank the excellent group of riders that showed up and shared some Milam County gravel goodness with me! According to Sam's GPS, we rode 188 miles, and everyone finished safe and sound. I was honored to ride with you fine folks. What say we do this again, in November?
Bless ya,
Mark

Home safe . Thanks for all the hard work setting the ride up. I had a great time . Ride safe. Curtis

Thanks again Mark. I had a blast. That is a great route. I'll post the gpx file in a little while if anyone wants it. Here's a pic of _RG_ trying to turn around while uh- 'things' were being thrown off the bridge. :mrgreen:

IMG3395-XL.jpg

Enjoyed it everyone , thanks for letting me hang with ya !!! :clap:

OK, this is the way I saw it. Of course, I was "Tail End Charlie" all day, so dust may have blurred my vision. This was a great ride, great riders, good cloud cover in the a.m. I arrived to find RG unloading his bike near downtown Thorndale. Mark & John were sitting across from the Thorndale cafe, I think talking about the ride today, but it could have been a discussion of Dessert. :eat:

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_001.jpg

After sitting for a few minutes, along comes Mudclod, with his traveling band of riders.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_002.jpg

Well, after a few minutes of the normal discussion of our steeds, Mark gave a few last minute instructions and....

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_004.jpg

We were off. About 10 miles down the road, we came to an old bridge that Mark likes to show all new-comers. It will be torn down soon, so several of us went to check it out. Sorry no picture of the bridge as I had seen it previously. :rofl: Here is a shot of the first break, thou.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_006.jpg

Well, off & down the road we go; you gotta keep them doggies rolling. Soon we were taking another break.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_007.jpg

This next shot is Mudclod, discussing the previous mileage that had been conquered.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_008.jpg

Next we arrived in Cameron. Here we are all parked discussing where to eat.
Ninety miles down; ninety more to go!

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_010.jpg

This is the Courthouse in Cameron. We all met up after lunch in the park in front of the Courthouse.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_013.jpg

Here is the first break after lunch. Lots of good roads, with plenty of shade.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_015.jpg

Well, here I am going to let you & your imagination run around a little. The picture was of RG riding down by the river between 2 bridges. We're standing on the old bridge, that's now just for pedestrians. The other is the new replacement for the old bridge. Now lets see, RG is down by the water, playing on his motorbike. Along comes a flying pig!! :eek2: Hits the water near RG. Please note, 3 young men on top of the new bridge. Now I am not saying the pig had any help getting his pilot's license, BUT :trust: this pig did not fly well, and was just about as good of a swimmer. :rofl: Obviously, you all know this was all my imagination, didn't you?

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_016.jpg

This is a picture of RG trying to evacuate the area of raining pigs!! INCOMING!

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_017.jpg

And here is a picture of the peanut gallery :rofl: Yes, we all had a big laugh at that.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_018.jpg

And the last photo is the last stop before riders started splitting off for home.

Milam_County_Ride_05-28-11_019.jpg

Well, it was a good ride. Mark, RG, JThompson and Sam I Am rode back into Thorndale about 5:00 pm. I am sorry all of you could not make it. It was a blast. 189 miles, 4:40 min. moving, 2:20 min. stopped. Again, thanks Mark! We really appreciate all the work you put into this ride.
Now what did I do with that HAM.
Sam

I really hate to see them tear down that old Apache Pass bridge!

I'm sorry I missed out on this but I had a road-trip to Houston (won't be making THAT mistake again any time soon). But on the way out 290, we passed a group of DS bikes headed eastbound. I thought it might have been y'all but then went back and looked at the map and y'all weren't anywhere near there I don't guess.

I wonder who I honked, waved and video taped as we went by. :rofl:

Here's our host Mark, trying to look tall by standing on a rock!
P5280028.jpg
P5280035.jpg
Clark, Glenda, RickM and Curtis.
P5280024.jpg
P5280025.jpg
P5280026.jpg
P5280029.jpg
P5280030.jpg
P5280032.jpg
P5280019.jpg

RG entertains us at a break on the Little River by seeing how close he can get to the bank without actually falling in!

My trip pics.
:sun:

Attachments

• CLARK,SAM.jpg
    CLARK,SAM.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 230
  • UNDERCOVER.jpg
    UNDERCOVER.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 233
  • OLELUMBERCAMERON.jpg
    OLELUMBERCAMERON.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Couple more.
Note the smiles; the perfect gravel roads made everybody happy! :trust:

Attachments

• VERSYSREAR.jpg
    VERSYSREAR.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 239
  • SMILINGWILL.jpg
    SMILINGWILL.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 230
  • RG'sKLR.jpg
    RG'sKLR.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 235
  • WILL, GLENDA.jpg
    WILL, GLENDA.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 225
Ever wake up in the morning with a funny feeling that somebody's gonna drop a pig on you that day? Yeah, raining hogs have become pretty common lately but I guess the exciting part will always be that none of us really knows what kind of pig or the size and color we should expect ahead of time. And, I think it well that porcine precipitation remain a matter of curiosity and excitement for generations to come.

See, there's this old bridge across the Little River. It's called Sugar Loaf Mountain bridge cause right behind it is - yep - Sugar Loaf Mountain. Honestly, calling it a mountain is kind of a stretch but it's the closest thing we have to one anywhere around here. Alright, it's really just a modest hill...OK, more of a terrestrial bump but it's ours and - by gosh - we'll call it a mountain if we want to. Anyway, enough geography and besides, this tale's supposed to be about raining rooters.

I live not so distant from the bridge and have ridden the bike out there several times. The old bridge has lots of character and makes a great place to quietly watch water flow gently past and ponder some of life's deeper mysteries like - wonder if I can ride down there and not into the river and then turn the bike around in that silt without falling over and maybe even make it back up that steep bank before dark without dropping into a crevasse - never to be seen again but rather consumed by various ravaging
varmints that would strip my bones and giggle while doing so. And thus was born the Sugar Loaf Mountain Bank Scramble tradition.

You should understand that tradition plays a prominent role in the lives of men, women, cattle and dogs around here. No reason motorcycle riding should be exempt. So, each time I visit the sacred site, tradition shall be honored.

First time I attempted this the bike still had stock gearing. Think 35 groaning horsepower with 15/43 sprockets. Not a happy sight. Thank goodness no one was around to witness nor record the inaugural event. But, it was quite the challenge and like that first slap from a pretty girl, we're not about to stop trying.

Fast forward to our Milam county gravel ride. Truly a great 200 miles with some of the most enjoyable folks I know of. Mostly friends I've ridden with many times before and have learned to love and admire. The kind of folks who will be there for you when gravity takes it's toll and you find yourself, once again, struggling to raise a 450 pound motorcycle from the horizontal disposition.

These are folks you can share laughs with over lunch and debate the merits of the TKC80 over that of a D606 openly and in public without shame. The kind of folks who would certainly let you know when three card carrying East Texas Bubba's and their gargantuan dog are about to wrestle a 300 pound hog out of their pickup truck and heave it off the bridge you happen to be under. No...wait. Maybe we drifted by that a bit too fast.

See, we get to the bridge and while everyone else is riding out onto the antique and historic structure, I head down the hill and drop over the bank toward the river. It's a tradition and like the elephant walk, not particularly flattering to watch and absolutely meaningless to anyone with good sense greater than that of a turnip. I do it everytime without exception. This time I'm really hoping that it all goes much better than usual and I can get this done and be up on the old bridge before anyone notices my absence.

Not gonna happen! Oh no. Not a chance. I'm down there struggling to get that dang bike turned around without slipping backwards into the river. The new back tire is digging down into river silt like a Bucyres drag-line and I'm wondering if that piece of rope is still in my saddlebags all while pondering how to ask my comrades, in a manly fashion, to help drag my bike out of the Little River.

What's that sound? Cheering? Oh sure...great! Horrified, I look up to see they're all lined up overhead on the old bridge like birds on a wire watching the entire spectacle below...cameras in hand...for all I know - streaming it out live on the internet for the free world to enjoy and blow Jolt Cola out their nostrils onto iPhones around the entire planet. Not my most dignified moment.

Now, having dug the back tire well into the heart of Texas, I'm trying to rock the bike back and forth while coordinating the front brake, clutch and throttle in every effort to get outa that hole. Down-hill (backwards) would be easy but then there is the unfortunate problem of sinking below the handlebars into that blasted river.

All I can compare the next few moments with are movie scenes of U.S. Navy depth charges exploding near the surface raising great plumes of white water high into the air with a thunderous roar. Yes, a 300 pound hog makes quite an event when dropped from 40 or 50 feet - easily exceeding terminal velocity - onto the surface of an otherwise placid stream. We should be cautious to not dwell on the philosophical meanings nor practical implications of dropping enormous hogs over the side of tall bridges. Such common discussions are akin to "what's the best oil" and starting another trite debate in this matter is of no benefit. It's no less an honorable past-time than say, cow-chip tossing or bunny stomping and I thank the Almighty we all live in a great nation where we're free to practice our inalienable right to the pursuit of happiness.

From a safe distance, I'm sure hog dropping is a perfectly safe and enjoyable sporting event suitable for families and church youth groups. Kind of like NASCAR. However, hogs dropped mere feet from one's unsuspecting and preoccupied consciousness can be at once abrupt and somewhat discomforting. It does focus one's attention, quite clearly, in remarkably little time. I was pretty much ready for a new set of riding pants anyway. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the seat will eventually work its way back out without the use of harsh laxatives.

GravelKLR did an awesome job of putting together and leading a 200 mile loop of some of the best gravel anyone could hope to ride. Greeneggsandham was a solid sweep dude and kept the group moving in the same direction. Much thanks to these two TWT'ers. Great group of riders and lots of fun to visit with during our shade/water breaks. Couldn't ask for a more enjoyable group to ride with. Thanks for letting me tag along. :rider:

Now that's just funny right there, I don't care who you are!! I mean down right tears in the eyes funny!! :rofl: You said you worked in higher education and you were a welder in your early life. You even build your own racks for your bike. But you missed your calling - you have mastered the art of story telling. :clap: You should have been writing for Conan O'Brian, heck he may still have a job at NBC if you were doing his jokes. Yep, that was kneeslappin', sidesplittin', rollin' on the floor funny. :lol2:
Thanks RG

I can't imagine how loud that pig sounded slappin' the water under that bridge! Very funny stuff!!!

I'm with Sam, you are a good writer RG. :hail: Enjoyed the lunch visit, and meeting you sir! Go Cats! :sun:
MRD

Great Ride, I really enjoyed the route, lots of dirt, less pavement ! Glenda had a good time, Hope we didn't slow down the group ! Lots of fun seeing you guys again ! The pig and RG's story is what makes it a fun day !

RG, sorry I missed this ride, but the falling pig, and your ride report made me laugh, and feel like I was there. Great story telling!!!!:clap::clap::lol2::rofl:

Pig chucking. That's a new one for me. I wonder what the occasion was?

I'm sorry I missed this, looks like a great time.

Back