• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A handy little tool

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I'm in the process of pulling off my rectifier, inner sprocket cover and lower engine cover as well as the clutch slave cylinder to make it easy to remove the outer water pump cover so I can powder coat it black, and to clean all of the built up chain lube and crud from around the counter shaft sprocket.

So I finally broke down and made up a simple little tool that I have been meaning to make that quickly bolts to the slave cylinder and keeps the piston from coming out while I have the slave cylinder unbolted from the inner sprocket cover. :rider:

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

But do you need it? I have never had a problem with the slave piston coming out, usually it's stiff enough that it can be left for a week or more without moving!! Nice gadget, but not sure you really need it!!

Gary

But do you need it? I have never had a problem with the slave piston coming out, usually it's stiff enough that it can be left for a week or more without moving!! Nice gadget, but not sure you really need it!!

Gary

I've had my slave cylinder off many times, and the piston will creep almost completely out in about 5 minutes if it's not retained somehow, and trust me when I say that I don't make tools I don't need. :rider:

You must have have very smooth clutch for it to slide out that easy.. Tools are always a good investment, so whether they are needed or not, I would never condone someone for making or buying them ;-) My wife does not share the same sentiment!! :rofl:

Gary

You must have have very smooth clutch for it to slide out that easy.. Tools are always a good investment, so whether they are needed or not, I would never condone someone for making or buying them ;-) My wife does not share the same sentiment!! :rofl:

Gary

Its crazy how many tools I've had to buy since I got my 1st bike when didn't wanna spend $$$ on crappy service @ the stealers! Oddly I bet even with all the tool cost + liquor, etc. and stress involved its still cheaper then the stealers and you KNOW it got done! :rofl:

Hahah! OBVIOUSLY you guys have never had anyone walk by and bump the clutch lever. OR just reach up and pull it. And yes the latter did happen at the LSR races while I was rehearing Marie's bike,:doh:
SRAD
Mr Marie

Excuse my ignorance as I've never deal with the clutch slave cylinder, but wouldn't a small C clamp work for this purpose or am I not seeing something?

Excuse my ignorance as I've never deal with the clutch slave cylinder, but wouldn't a small C clamp work for this purpose or am I not seeing something?

Anything you can use to hold it in works. Some are just neater looking than others. ;-)

Anything you can use to hold it in works. Some are just neater looking than others. ;-)

Yes I guess you could use a c-clamp and probably mar up not only the outside of the slave cylinder but the face of the piston as well and possibly damage the bore of the slave cylinder, and seeing as how my polished slave cylinder is exposed using a c-clamp is out of the question.

You could also use a tywrap and hope that it doesn't slip off to the side and fall off when your not looking and copme back and find the piston is out, or wrap tape around it and a bunch other methods also, but making a simple and easy to use tool like this is just one of the many benefits of having your own machine shop, plus it doesn't get in the way like even a small c-clamp would. :rider:

You would cringe at my quickly made spring compressor I used to change out the shock spring on my KLR about 9 or 10 years ago. Still have it hanging about on a shelf. I'll have to take a pic of it.

You would cringe at my quickly made spring compressor I used to change out the shock spring on my KLR about 9 or 10 years ago. Still have it hanging about on a shelf. I'll have to take a pic of it.

Andrus,

If it works for you and gets the job done, that's all that all that matters in the end, no matter what it looks like. ;-)

Back