• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lava Butte Ride - A Few Crappy Shots

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Smith
So I'm really struggling with this crappy old Pentax Optio after losing my Canon G9 in DIA. But what the heck... I'll post a few anyway.

Tonight a few other guys and I snuck out of work 15 minutes early and headed south on Highway 97 towards Lava Butte 10 miles out of town. They met in the work parking lot and got sorted with their dirt bikes in their trucks while I ran home and donned my dirt gear for the ride to the trail head. The weather has been insane here, 20 - 25 degrees below average, another 36 degree commute for me this morning. Maybe 52 degrees in the parking lot but it wasn't raining, first time in many days. Time to rock.

I grabbed my premium non-ethanol gas (hey, they let moto-riders pump their own gas here!) and headed out. I didn't have anybody's cell numbers so I was a bit concerned about finding the trail head but managed OK.

004-M.jpg

It's much easier to just ride there :)

005-M.jpg

Holy MACKEREL those two smokers SMOKE when they're cold.

The participants for the evening include Brian on the above 250 Yamaha 2-stroke, Bob on a CRF 450, Severin on a WR 450, and me on the orange bike.

This was the northern part of our play area for the evening. The little cone you see on the upper left side by the bend in Hwy 97 is Lava Butte. The cool black stuff you see in the forest green is lava. The straight white line that tries to go through it is a powerline with a road under it... Pretty crazy landscape...

06022011-Ride-Area-M.jpg

It's much cooler from ground level, this is what you see on the approach, with Severin starting up the grade..

007-M.jpg

This is what is looks like from inside. Absolutely cool. Great road, lots of lofting the front wheel over whoops or rocks, and drifting the corners if you don't mind the surrounding cheese grater rocks.

008-M.jpg

Super fast on the powerline trail, and then we turned left and got into the good stuff. On the way in there's another hillclimb up a cinder cone, intimidated the heck out of me the first time I saw it a few weeks ago.

Brian after his first attempt on his 2-stroke. He's a hill-climbing crazy man...

010-M.jpg

Bob tried it next on the CRF. Both of those guys are way beyond what I can do on this hill... The climb is steep and deep, relatively narrow with a steep drop on the left and the occasional root or branch across to throw a wrench in the works. The view from up on it (I can't say from the top, I've never made it even close) is incredible. You can get an idea of the height by listening to this CRF :).

I tried it for the first time tonight, twice actually, and didn't come close to the other guys. It's a balancing act... weight on the back for traction and you wheelie, weight forward to keep the wheel down and you spin.

Moving on from the hill climb we get into the real fun stuff, another steep climb on an open cinder hill side and then into an insanely fun loop that we hit a bunch of times. This terrain doesn't hold moisture and gets really dusty, but it was perfect tonight after weeks of rain.

Crappy picture of the usual discussion... "That was awesome, where next?" You can get an idea of the surroundings. Quite often you'll break out on top of a hill and you can see the snow capped mountains very close by.

012-S.jpg

We do a long single and quad-track climb, twisting up through the trees, to get to the loop and then dive in. The loops is just stupid fun, starting with another steep, rutty climb up through the trees, a little time on top of the ridge followed by a steep sidehill trail back down through the trees. Penalty for a high side could be bad if you hit a tree or like landing on a mattress if you ended up in the 6" of pine needles.

At the bottom you crank it up on a forest service road and then jump into the real singletrack, winding, wheeling, and lofting along for a few miles, finishing with another climb back to the beginning.

After our second one, Severin and I are happy campers.

013-M.jpg

But, the sun is getting low and it's time to point the bikes home. Temp must be in the upper 40s and I've been playing the layer game, trying to stay warm but not to sweat. I can see my breath billowing out of the helmet.

016-M.jpg

I'm not the only happy camper. :)

So we beat feet back to the powerline trail. These guys are super fast to this Texas guy, even the dude on the WR with blown suspension eats my lunch.

Of course I don't have pictures of the good stuff. We were having too much fun and it's too hard for me to handle this little camera quickly. (Not to mention I was off the back most of the time ;-)) On the way back through the lava field I did manage to grab a quick video. The guys slowed down thinking I was having a problem, so no big wheelie shots :)

Getting back to the trail head, I shucked my wet base layer, replaced it with a dry one, put on my rain pants for wind protection and then ran for home before the deer came out :deal: (I've already had one "close enough" deer encounter the last time I rode home from this trail...)

Made it home, cats are fed, warm shower brought up the core temp, beer is drank.

020-M.jpg

KTM is tucked in.

021-M.jpg

That's it for today, time for bed. Darned good riding, I feel lucky to have hooked up with these guys.

Last edited:
You've got a whole summer of excellent riding ahead of you. I bet you're psyched to up your riding skills by following around those other guys.

Keep exploring, I'll try to make it up there one of these days!! :flip:

looks like a great area to ride. meanwhile we do laps in a few acres around bastrop in 100 degree heat...:giveup:

Thats awesome Justin, I'd love to join you for a coupla days but my flux capacitor is on the blink so I'm stuck here in 100* Tejas for now! Rock on dude!

Rocking on. Heading out tomorrow to play in a new area. Assuming I sleep at all tonight... upstairs neighbors are throwing a rager. Ahhh apartment living.

J

Looks like you're having a great time. I hope the Boss was with you since you cut out 15 min. early.;-) Have a great day. Sam

Settled in and having fun? Seems like life's good in the northlands :-) (crummy apartment neighbors excepted)

Yeah... upstairs neighbors threw a rager until about 12:30 AM... and then at 1:00 AM started to make other noises :giveup:

But, I got out again today for 50 miles of quad track (quad-wheeler that is) in the East Fort Rock OHV area. Wow...

Yeah... upstairs neighbors threw a rager until about 12:30 AM... and then at 1:00 AM started to make other noises :giveup:

Time to buy the cheapest, loudest box fan you can find and run it on high!!

That's what my wife did to drown out my snoring!! :lol2:

Hey, is that a new Handlebar clamp? I guess since that 530 is your dailey driver you have not had time to put the cam in. Is there a dealer near by to get the shims.
If you get real cold riding to work, just let me know. I will send you a emtpy box of 100 deg. Texas air. It should still be 95 by the time it gets to you, it only drops to 70 over night here! Sam

Sam -

I got the Fastaways on there just after our Marble Falls trip. So far the DR is mostly the daily driver, I pick up the Katoom on Fridays and ride it all weekend :) Not had the time, tools, or the garage to do the cam :( There is a local KTM dealer here in town but they're pretty poorly regarded.

Ordered a Giant Loop MoJavi today. Yesterday's ride really nuked my neck and back muscles, carrying my heavy pack on the whooped out trails.

J

Very nice! Beautiful country. If you get a little shiver just close your eyes and imagine...supposed to be 102 here today.

Ordered a Giant Loop MoJavi today. Yesterday's ride really nuked my neck and back muscles, carrying my heavy pack on the whooped out trails.

J

i picked up a mojave a few weeks back, awesome for day trips, tools/tubes/snacks no problem, and it doesnt budge even when accidently getting airborne with a fat guy riding it (hard landing). :trust:

i picked up a mojave a few weeks back, awesome for day trips, tools/tubes/snacks no problem, and it doesnt budge even when accidently getting airborne with a fat guy riding it (hard landing). :trust:

Yeah I got a buddy with one here and he loves it. I'm going over to their shop tomorrow to pick mine up :)

Jason have you posted any RRs with your new machine? I'd love to see some pics of it in action.

Yeah I got a buddy with one here and he loves it. I'm going over to their shop tomorrow to pick mine up :)

Jason have you posted any RRs with your new machine? I'd love to see some pics of it in action.

i was planning to take it to colorado on the ride GHT has organised but turns out my sons 2 weeks with the guard is at the same time and i wanted him to come with. So might try and sneak up there beforehand, otherwise havent been doing anything really report worthy. Hidden Falls was fun, might head up to crooked creek next and try and get some photos.

Back