• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reflective decals

Lawman

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Hearnsberger
I ride a BMW R1200RT and I'd like to put some reflective material on the entire back of my side cases. I've found this http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity4.htm that will work but I'm wondering if there is something I might get that would do just as well for less than $50.00. Any suggestions?

Thanks but I think I want something that will show during daylight...

BTW...I should not have said the entire back of my cases..I just want to cover the non painted suface..:doh:

Last edited:
I like the kits specifically designed for the bike, but I have only seen them available as 'invisible' with day light and reflecting at night.

You might check out Larry Buck's Tail Brights, http://bucksporttouring.com/tailbrights.html. The material looks black in daylight but lights up like a neon sign when hit with direct light (headlights).

Examples:
cmenow1.jpg

cmenow2.jpg

A while back, I was working next to this sign shop and would go over there every now and then to see what kind of scraps they had. They hooked me up on the free with some of that reflective yellow that they put on a school bus.

Worked pretty good and best of all, it was free. Never underestimate someone's generosity with the bosses money ;)...

Walmart sells a pack of 4 or so strips about 2" x 30" long in red and white (like you see on trailers) for around $8. You could be cheap and creative!

I've had that kit from Larry Buck on my Concours for 4-5 years. I noticed a difference in the people flying up behind me right off. Can't remember what I paid for it.

I'm happy with it. Don't know about the others though.

I had a set of the TailBrights on my ST1300. the slight change of angle on the bag of the bag did a good job of catching sunlight, though it was nothing compared to night.
If you want daytime visibility, you'll need something other than black.

it comes in rolls & is called:

CONSPICUITY TAPE

colors include red, white & school bus yellow

it can be found(as previously mentioned) @ Wally World, in red & white strips

or you can check out the local truck stop for variations

i have been replacing the yellow reflectors on my front forks w/ the school bus yellow and BOY IS IT BRIGHT

next time you're driving/riding, after dark, check out how far you can see your lights reflecting off the back of school busses & big trucks

shiny side up

Search for "Reflexite REF-DB Retroreflective Daybright Tape" It's what you see on the back of Highway Dept. truck tailgates and it shows well during the day.

You don't want decals, you want Solas Tape on the edges of your cans. Subtle during the day, but in any amount of dim light, darkness, fog etc. you light up like a Roman candle.

There are various widths x lengths available. It's become very popular and there are a lot of websites selling it. Take your time and shop around.

Buy a roll of it, it'll last you forever.

222470629_rJQDP-M.jpg

222470457_HyPou-M.jpg

Back