• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to Buy 5/8" Vacuum Caps?

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
I've searched the internet, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, O'Reilly, and a local auto parts store. I'm removing the air pump and need a cap. 3/8" is the largest I've found so far. In the mean time, I might try to grow my own.

IMG_0227.jpg

I had to make a vacuum plug once. I used about 3/4" of the tube that I removed and stopped up one end with JBWeld.

JBWeld, is there anything you can't do?

I'm working hard not to pay $35 for four screws, a tap, and two vacuum plugs in a pre-packaged format.

aisivanskittn.jpg

I may have found an alternative solution. An expanding drain plug like used in boats or stripped out oil pans. :-P One trip to the hardware store, another to the auto parts store and so far , less than $10 in parts.

Jet kits with four mains, a couple of washers and hex-head socket screws for $100 really set me off.

Kurt,
I have tapered rubber plugs I use for masking parts that we anodize.You are welcome to what I have.

You might contact an air conditioning/heating company or supplier, they use these for keeping moisture and dirt out of lines in new units prior to installation. If you get a bag with a part number on it, keep it in a safe place for future reference, in case you need another one.

I forgot what mods your FZ has, but the AIS removal kit from Holeshot is the no-tap solution. $35 is worth it when it ships to your door with instructions.
The carb by-pass plugs can be had at any ap store, but I have felt the hot radiator coolant on my right leg once already. That plug under pressure at the rad cap needs to be copper or brass with a nascar clamp or something.
In rubber form, that thing lasts 6 months in Texas heat.

I know you have seen Pat's site.
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

Let me know what you find, a marine or aviation source might be the ticket.
If you need 5/8" caps for a non FZ project...never mind.

leeroy said:
Kurt,
I have tapered rubber plugs I use for masking parts that we anodize.You are welcome to what I have.

That might work.

I forgot what mods your FZ has, but the AIS removal kit from Holeshot is the no-tap solution. $35 is worth it when it ships to your door with instructions.
The carb by-pass plugs can be had at any ap store, but I have felt the hot radiator coolant on my right leg once already. That plug under pressure at the rad cap needs to be copper or brass with a nascar clamp or something.
In rubber form, that thing lasts 6 months in Texas heat.

I know you have seen Pat's site.
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

Mine had no mods outside of a rear hugger. I just found the AIS to be a pain when cleaning and unsightly to boot. I have already tapped and plugged the ports, capped the carb vacuum fitting, and removed the pump. As a short term fix to plug the airbox fitting, I've covered it in duct tape and secured it with a tie wrap.

I haven't disconnected the carb heating circuit from the radiator. Is that what you did? I may someday, but really have no plans to jet the carbs on this bike unless a slip-on really throws it out of adjustment.

A slip on won't dictate the need for re-jetting. Sure is noticable though.
I did the carb bypass and AIS to clean up the area for a plug change and to shed a few pounds.

Years back chevy trucks had a 5/8 rubber cap on a hose boss on the water pump , I can promise you it wont be in O'Riley's computer, if you have a professional parts house near you they may still be available. Another source would be a hydraulicks repair shop, they use plastic caps to keep dirt out of lines and pumps when disconected in lots of different sizes. When used in a permenant application A little dab of ultra silicone will help keep it in place. SEYA

Back