PDA

View Full Version : Towing 1 bike On a 2 Bike Trailer Safe ??

TX_F2
11-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I have a 2 place trailer (sorry about the blurry pic) :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/regalado96/BikeTrailer.jpg

It's a fairly good sized trailer, has 14 " inch tires not the 12" or smaller ones, ect. I bought it because my wife and I both have bikes and needed something to haul them on.

I have a CBR 600 and my wife has a Ninja 500. Her bike is approx. 415 lbs with a full tank of gas and my CBR 600 is approx. 431 lbs with a full tank of gas.

I was wondering if it is safe to haul just one bike ? As you can see from the picture, both rails are to the outside of the trailer. (The rail toward the middle with the blue bungee cord is the "ramp").

My worry is that with only one bike on the rails, that puts around 400+ lbs. of weight to one side of the trailer.

What effect on handling (towing vehicle & trailer) will having just one bike on the trailer cause ?

Is there a danger of the trailer tipping over around turns / corners, bumps in the road, ect. because all the weight is to one side ?

TIA,

Phil

CycleCat
11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I've done it with no problems before. I always put the solo bike on the right so I can more easily keep an eye on it in the rearview mirror. And it reminds me to take it easier on left hand turns which would be the ones most likely to try to destabilize the trailer. However the hitch won't let it twist too much if it tried.

However, considering your trailer has that screen covering the whole deck, who says you can't just put the bike in the middle? The bike doesn't really need to be in one of the tracks. Just roll it up as near center as possible and strap it down. People put bikes in truck beds and on flat trailers all the time without any wheel tracks to hold it in one spot. If you attach your tie downs properly, they wil do all the work to keep the bike straight.

lobo10s
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
My trailer was built for that, I would think that it would be okay.
http://files.blog-city.com/files/aa/1321/p/f/eureka_19.jpg

RogerAtx
11-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I'll second the good mr. cyclecat.
The little ridges on yours arent' much of a rail anyway (too wide and low to provide much locating) and the rest of the surface is homogenous, so just put a single bike in the middle. Many of us have hauled many a bike without any kind of real front wheel hoop. If you're still uncomfy, buy a cheap front hoop and attach with Ubolts in the center. Very cheap and easy and eliminates your concern completely.

good luck

scratch
11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
You could take a couple of 4x4's and make your own center channel by drilling a couple of holes through each and using some long bolts and fender washers to locate them on the trailer flooring. Probably overkill though.

kurt
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Why take a chance? Have someone weld on another piece of angle iron and use the third channel when solo. Or just get a front chock and bolt it down.

CycleCat
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
$50 at Cycle Gear will get you one of these:

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/Wheelchock_410x395.jpg

Considering the mesh design of your trailer deck, you should be able to bolt it on and be good to go in 5 minutes.

Cycle Gear also has a cheaper bent tubing one for about $20. That and a few u-bolts would give you peace of mind for very little $$.

Not knowing how strong that storage box is secured to the trailer, it might not be a bad idea to have something stronger to cinch the bike up against.

SRADkneedragger
11-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Add the extra rail in the center or a wheel chock! The cost is NOTHING compared to a minor tip over on the trailer, not to mention if it fell off! I have the same size trailer and have used it to pull a FJ1100 and a GSXR at the same time no problems. I put an extra rail in the center for when its 1 bike. AND get a spare tire and a lug wrench to fit the TRAILER lug nuts! Alot of people miss this obvious addition!

Cagiva 549
11-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Thats one of the things I liked about dirt bikes , When mister cool would only use 2 straps on his bike , then seeing it bounce loose and drag behind the trailer for a while. 20 Dollers worth of angle iron and 30 minutes with a welding machine
would make that a single bike trailer and possibly a 3 bike trailer. SEYA

TX_F2
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and advice. 8-)