• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trails to Pie

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
For several years I have heard about an attempt to convert a portion of the old L & A Railway right-of-way to a public use rail-to-trail. Unfortunately, the plan has not come to fruition as a result of challenges from adjoining landowners and budget woes. The limited promotional pics from http://www.louisianatrails.org/traillocation.html show a groomed abandoned railroad bed:

locationshots.jpg

but a phone call with one of Jena's co-workers and a quick look at google maps show the un-developed trail is more apt to be a muddy mess like this: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=casto...cq3vkSM6Z0HycpmkQ&cbp=12,350.67,,0,-4.05&z=15

Well three of us decided to give it a try: KLRJohn, Bartbuilt and I decided to give it ride, John on his new-old-stock '09 KLX250S, Bart on his '08 F800GS and me on my recently acquired '07 KLX250. But John found an issue with buying an '09 bike in '11 - his battery was dead yesterday with no replacement to be found on Sunday, so John rode along on his '08 KLR650.

The ride proved tougher than expected for us novice dirt riders. Bart -correctly- determined he had too much bike and too little tires for the trail portion of our ride. John & I pressed on and rode about 20 miles from just below Sibley to Castor, with only 2 dropped bikes, 1 each, me trying to tip-toe through the trees to avoid the mud and John in some deep sand, which he rode to avoid an ATV riding on the hard packed portion. :pound:

The old railway is primarily used by ATV's, and I now understand the comments re: riding motorcycles on ATV trails. Here are some other lessons learned today by a novice:
1. Do not let limbs/brush determine you line; ride thru the limbs if necessary.
2. It may well be better to ride thru the mud than tip-toe thru the woods around it.
3. The importance of proper gear, especially supportive/protective boots - maybe even waterproof.
4. I have to learn how to hop-over or hop-up on objects, such as the blunt approaches to the old trestles that you can still ride across. Yes, they're quite "interesting" but I had to ask John for :help: twice to get up on the old crossties.
5. I have a lot to learn about dual-sport riding.

Here is a sampling of a better part of the trail at the first small bridge:
get-photo.asp

We met up at 6am at the Waffle House, and in true TWT fashion John finished his breakfast with pie, and after 20+/- miles of the trail we celebrated with butterfinger pie at the Castor Cafe' -- where the proprietor told us that his father put water in the car for Bonnie & Clyde the day before they were shot just 5 miles from his house. Clyde asked: What's the charge? ... Nothing... But he let a $20 bill fly out the window as they drove off.

We rode in all about 130 miles and returned home about 1pm. A good start to the 4th of July. :patriot:

Attached are pics of pie plus three more form the trail.

Attachments

• LARail.Trail 001.jpg
    LARail.Trail 001.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 138
  • LARail.Trail 006.jpg
    LARail.Trail 006.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 144
  • LARail.Trail 007.jpg
    LARail.Trail 007.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 145
  • LARail.Trail 008.jpg
    LARail.Trail 008.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 141
  • LaRail.Trail 009.jpg
    LaRail.Trail 009.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 141
Yep, just didn't feel safe on my F800GS with my tires and lack of experience :giveup: .Will be looking for a deal on a 250cc dual sport bike with good knobby tires this winter. Would like to do that trip again next spring.

That's a sweet looking trail. I'll be riding a similar atv trail this weekend. I'll keep your tips in mind. :thumb::thumb: on the 250.

Back