• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moon Shots

Mrs. C

Reaction score
First Name
Shirley
Last Name
Crabtree
I am very new at digital photography, and have so much to learn. Here are a couple of moon shots I took last year. Looking for advice on improvement. The first one is just a picture of the moon, showing details. On the second shot, a few clouds were rolling in.

Full_Moon_TWT_001.jpg

Halloween_Moon_TWT.jpg

Halloween Moon
I liked the effect; but the moon's a little blurry on bottom. I haven't done any changes other than to crop the photos.

They were taken with a Nikon P100 that I had just purchased last summer.

I like how sharp the first one is for a cross-over camera. That seems to have done a really nice job at both sharp focus and exposure. Have you also thought the moon looks like a giant tangerine too? :mrgreen:

EXIF from #1:
Camera Maker: NIKON
Camera Model: COOLPIX P100
Image Date: 2010-08-24 20:34:07 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 480.0mm (35mm equivalent: 2712mm)
Digital Zoom: 4.000x
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 181
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

I think #2 is interesting, but not quite as interesting as #1.

I hope you shot like 40 or more to get these. That would make me feel better since it takes about that many for me to pull one off like #1.

That's very nice. So you got that size out of the digital zoom on your camera? Rather nice resolution for a P/S. I especially like the silhouetted cloud on the second picture. "The moon was a ghostly galleon" and all that.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I was surprised to get that size and detail from the digital zoom, too; this little Nikon has a 26x zoom, but I certainly didn't expect what I got. All I've done is crop a little. That's just about all I do once the photo is downloaded to the computer - crop, crop, crop. The detail's a little muted on the second photo, but I still like the effect with the cloud. I would have liked the bottom of the moon to be a little less blurry. And I was using a tripod!

Now, I'd like to say these were the only two I shot that night :trust: but, no, I did take a few more - beginner's luck, I guess.

OKAY, M38A1, how'd you copy the camera info into this post? I know how to find it on the photo, but that's as far as I get. :ponder:

OKAY, M38A1, how'd you copy the camera info into this post? I know how to find it on the photo, but that's as far as I get. :ponder:

I'm using Firefox as my browser with the EXIF Reader plug-in download. Right click on the image and it displays the information. Hit the "Copy" button, then paste it in the thread I'm responding to.

Back