• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sunflower

Mrs. C

Reaction score
First Name
Shirley
Last Name
Crabtree
Another one for review. Captured this on a bright, sunny day - not a cloud in sight. :sun:

Sunflower_TWT_001.jpg

This was taken with a Nikon CoolPix P100. I'm not sure how to copy the settings from the camera to this post. This is as it came from the camera, with the exception of cropping, but I couldn't crop out that bud in the lower right corner. (Also, I might add I'm not familiar with editing software (PhotoShop, etc.) The bottom right petals are over exposed. Any cure?

That could be on a greeting card with some cute little caption. Seriously, with a little bit of post, that's an awesome shot. Great exposure for most of it bringing out the blue sky and yellow in spite of the harsh sunlight. Nice angle to present it too.

Just about any post program can handle the over exposure you reference. And a clone tool can take out that leaf in 10 seconds.

Hope you don't mind, but here's a couple minutes of post-processing playtime. I could work the yellow a bit more, but you get the idea on the exposure changes and cloning with this down and dirty version.

i-hQPN3X8-L.jpg

Over exposure is often in the "eye of the beholder". I like the original shot. Sharp and clear colors. Doesn't look washed out to me.

I certainly don't mind any editing at all - it's great to see what can be done.

Thanks, Tourmeister, for your input as well.

My goal is to really capture what I want with the camera - but sometimes, a little help can go a long way in making a photo a "keeper" - I especially like how you got rid of that bud in the lower right corner.

I also prefer the original. Trying to shove the shadows up a bit might give better definition but I'm not convinced it'd make a better photo.

The difficult thing to remember in photography (well, one of many I suppose) is that you hunt for things you perceive as imperfections. Anyone else viewing your photo will line up on your subject. A good photo (good composition) causes others to study the subject, and you certainly pulled that off here.

Make sure when you crop, that it is to a standard print size. I've found that I've lost photos because I didn't leave enough external crop area in my composition. That makes for a constant post-photo step, but it also ensures you can do more with it than display it on your computer. ;)

Back