• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inexpensive on-bike video camera suggestions

Reaction score
Hoping to make the trip of a lifetime next summer so I'm starting to get a list of needed supplies now.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for a small video camera to either attach (eg. RAM mount) to the bike or a small helmet camera.

The main one that keeps popping up in the searches is the GoPRO camera, but I'm looking for suggestions from folks who have used cameras before. Also, since the suspension can be rather firm I need something that won't fall apart and will be able to handle rough roads (not off-roading but not always smooth asphalt/hard packed dirt).

I'm leaning towards a helmet mount camera since that will give me more control of what I want to shoot, but right now, nothing is hard and fast as to what I will get.

Thanks to all in advance.

Bruce

Read through the 'Talk me out of a GoPro' thread: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54259

Lots of good info to get you started. There may be a better camera out there, but it'll be hard to beat the bang/buck of the GoPro.

trey

+1 on that thread. There are a LOT of suggestions and input.

That being said, I just purchased a Veho Muvi for ~$54. The mounting options are limited (almost non-existent) so I bought a sports pack mounting system for another $20. I haven't received that yet but it has a few more straps, velcro, etc that should make it easier.

The quality ain't stellar and you won't be winning any Emmy's for shooting a short video with the Muvi but it's adequate for what I want. Low light shooting is pretty crummy but not unacceptable. Once I get the mounting equipment and can get some better video, I'll have a better grasp on whether I like it or not.

One other point about either the Muvi or the GoPro......there is no screen to see what you're recording or how it's going to look. The GoPro does have the option of adding an LCD screen though. Without it, you're pretty much shooting blind until you get to the computer to download the video. Then you have to tweak the mouting positions, etc. :shrug: I guess it's all about how much you want to spend and what you want it to do. :thumb:

GoPro. You can get the 960 model and save a lot over the full motorsports one. Not as many mounts and reduced functionality of slo-mo, etc. but still a very good camera.

i don't like the gopro because if the form factor. i have a Contour HD that i have used for a few years and i love it.

so... the gopro is a box. its not aerodynamic in any way.
HelmetHD3.jpg

i like the bullet cam style of the contour. it fits on my helmet nicely and just seems to have the proper aesthetic for me. same great video, just better style. it has WAY more mounting options because the lens can rotate.
vholdr_contour_hd_helmet_cam.jpg

just my opinion

I have both the GoPro and the Contour. I recommend the Contour. Much easier to control with your gloves on and without having to look at the tiny screen to see if it's on, what mode is it in, etc.

i have a gopro 760 that has newer been used (i have 2....ask and i will tell). ill let you have it for $100 with mouts arms etc.

Venom Snake Eye camera. First one to meet your critieria which is "inexpensive". I got mine for $35 on sale last year. Here is a link with pics, video and specs but search around for the best deal. I'm happy with mine but honestly don't use it much. Same as my digital camera, don't like to carry electronics as it spoils the ride somewhat for me stopping and messing around with it.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4933919&CatId=4450

_

I really appreciate the responses.

For some reason, I'm not receiving a notice when a response is updated - more correctly, I'm receiving a notice but only sometimes.

Bruce

Hoping to make the trip of a lifetime next summer so I'm starting to get a list of needed supplies now.
Thanks to all in advance.

Bruce

I used to have a blue-tooth "pinhole spy" camera and recorded onto a mp3 that I kept in my tank bag. Lighter camera but everything else took up some room - not bad for the length of filming time you get but still, space is at a premium. I now have a non-gps Go-Pro but heard good things about the contour (?) GPS.

I suggest a GPS model if you can go that route. A nice way to relive that ride and know where you were at thew time. Depending on the model the map will overlay on top or off to the side.

Also, if you have a smart phone try "TracKmaster" for $10 or "My Tracks" for free.

Amazon has the Drift for $159.00. Got another one to put in my girlfriends new car after a tire fell from a truck struck another vehicle then dropped onto the front of her car.Total Loss. Heres a video with her following me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb3V2NopUhc"]I'm Being Followed - YouTube[/ame]

I picked up a current Car & Driver for the flight back to Austin yesterday and there is a short comparison article of four different models on the market.

Back