• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

No of holes in the air box

Reaction score
Hi , newbie here . I am just wondering if I just drill one hole in the airbox or two small sizes holes ?? Any differences ?? Thanks for the advice!! Cheers.

Hi , newbie here . I am just wondering if I just drill one hole in the airbox or two small sizes holes ?? Any differences ?? Thanks for the advice!! Cheers.

After originally cutting out the entire top of the air cleaner cover as well as removing the snorkel, I found that now all of the intake tract noise was not only greatly increased, but now directed right up towards me which is pretty much what I figured would happen, and I found the increase the noise level objectionable.

So I picked up a good used air box cover for free and then set it up on my mill and cut the entire flat area on the back of the lid out, which leaves you a fairly large 2" x around 4 1/2" square opening.

My seat of the pants dyno could not detect any loss of performance over the completely opened up cover, and the intake tract noise is now directed towards the rear of the bike, and I can't hear it at all.

Heck, I had just pulled the snorkel off my old DL1000 and fastly put that back on due to increase in noise. I'm kinda an old motorcyclist that doesn't do noise anymore. ;-)

I read the threads about the large single hole, but decided to make 2 1" holes instead. noise is not objectionable, and it seems to have helped

I've done virtually all of the mods to my bike, short of a new cam......

If I had to do all over again, knowing what I know now, all that I would have done is a 1" hole in the lid of the air box, K&N air filter, and a Holeshot 17" slip-on for the 'street'.

Change out the front springs, stick a fork brace on, upgrade the saddle, and bend the grips of the OEM handlebars forward to take the 'wheelbarrow' feel outa them.

And removing the butterflies from the throttle bodies REALLY improves 'felt' throttle response. But unless on occasion you ride like a Ricky RoadRacer through the twisties, removing the butterflies might not be fully appreciated.

Oh.... and regardless of what you choose to do, riding with ear plugs in yer ears helps to reduce the stress of cumulitive wind noise.

Back