• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Engine oil level

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone know how much engine oil to fill up our Bandit just nice at the full line mark . Owner manual say 3500ml with oil and filter change and 3000ml with engine oil change only .cheers !!

Just fill to the top of the site glass......with the bike level of course.

You don't fill it to the top of the sight glass as that would be over filling it, but to the upper line in the clutch cover with the F next to it, or 3 qts 22.5 ozs will get the same results with a filter change. ;-)

If it's 1 to 2 ounces over it's just fine...Say you drain your oil and change the filter and you put in 3.7 quarts of oil in, start it up warming the oil then you level the bike and check the site glass and the oil is over the F line but there's just a small bubble at the top there's no reason to worry about it....But if you completely cover the site glass when the bike is level there's no way to tell just how much over you went...But it's unlikely going to do that if you drain it well and put in 3.7 quarts.

I used to measure everything to the T and drain the oil for a long time trying to empty every drop, bike on the center stand, side stand, moving the bike side side ect ect...Then filling it up I would measure the oil to the ounce, warm it up, level the bike and there would be just a tiny bubble at the top...Preferably I'd want it right at the F line but if there's just a bubble there's no reason to sweat it...

Now, what I'll do is drain it well, torque the drain bolt up, slap a bit of oil in the filter and put it on, put in about 3.5 quarts of oil (which includes the bit I put in the filter), start it up and go for a short slow ride (perhaps half a mile) to warm the oil up well...Check site glass and usually it's a little under "F" then just fill till it reaches the line..done and it's accurate...

As I've been doing for 100s of thousand of miles. I always change the filter also. Fill it up to the top mark, run it for about 10 mins on the bench, shut it down, take a break and come back and see where it's at, fill to the top mark. Forget about it till the next oil change with a preflight check on the level before leaving next time riding it. Have not had to add a drop of oil to the bandit since buying it about 50,000 miles ago with 4 to 5 thousand miles between change outs.
Everyone it going to have their own theory. My KLR, I change it about every 3000 due to very much gravel road riding. Been doing that since I bought it in '99. ;-). So far, have never had to add oil between changes.
Take all this advice, read your manual, do what turns you on. ;-)

As I've been doing for 100s of thousand of miles. I always change the filter also. Fill it up to the top mark, run it for about 10 mins on the bench, shut it down, take a break and come back and see where it's at, fill to the top mark. Forget about it till the next oil change with a preflight check on the level before leaving next time riding it. Have not had to add a drop of oil to the bandit since buying it about 50,000 miles ago with 4 to 5 thousand miles between change outs.
Everyone it going to have their own theory. My KLR, I change it about every 3000 due to very much gravel road riding. Been doing that since I bought it in '99. ;-). So far, have never had to add oil between changes.
Take all this advice, read your manual, do what turns you on. ;-)

I also have never had to add any oil to my Bandit between oil changes, and I can't really even see any lowering of the oil level in the sight glass from when I do an oil change and when I change it. :rider:

Same here...When it's time for an oil change the oil is right at the same level that it was when I first filled it...Solid engine!

Thinking about it, my BMW R oilheads used a bit of oil especially in the mountains using the engine for braking. Oil just seeped pasted the unloaded rings for some reason. Not a lot mind you, perhaps a cup in 6000 miles but you could see the lever drop in the sight glass. Only bikes I ever had that did that in modern times.

Same here...When it's time for an oil change the oil is right at the same level that it was when I first filled it...Solid engine!

My thoughts exactly , never used a drop between changes on mine either. I get
to rub this fact in a buddy of mines nose ; he is quite the Honda snob. His 1000rr goes through a quart every 700 to 1000 miles !! Honda claims that is normal and acceptable consumption :lol2: Like not !

I put what the manual says and run it for a few minutes then shut down and check after 3 minutes also per the book. Then add if need be, etc. till I hit F! ;)

Back