• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin DS Rides

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Rider
This is my second attempt to post this,as the first one disappeared.

Here are a few of my local routes. The were made with Garmin City Select and are a .gpx format. Let me know if you have trouble viewing them and I'll re-post in another format.

Most start at the Exxon on Hamilton Pool Rd and Hwy 71.

Enjow!

Attachments

• routes.gpx
    117.4 KB · Views: 528
fastmonstr,

I don't own a GPS. Do you know if there a free reader I can download for .gpx files?

Richard_ said:
fastmonstr,

I don't own a GPS. Do you know if there a free reader I can download for .gpx files?

Yes, ExpertGPS is one. It has a topo map and aerial map (b&w) view. However, the best is using Google Earth. Just use the open option and select .gpx as the file type. http://earth.google.com/

Both need an internet link to pull data.

fastmonstr said:
Here are a few of my local routes. The were made with Garmin City Select and are a .gpx format. Let me know if you have trouble viewing them and I'll re-post Enjow!

I loaded it onto Google Earth and it showed about 11 waypoints. How do I get it to show me the routes?

This is pretty cool, though, I wonder why I never loaded google earth until now??

hey, this is scott's wife and we are trying to open the route you sent him, do you know what form it is sent in or program it is opened under, i tried it thru his mapsource and microsoft word but it isnt working- any help is appreciated.

GREASEMONKEY said:
hey, this is scott's wife and we are trying to open the route you sent him, do you know what form it is sent in or program it is opened under, i tried it thru his mapsource and microsoft word but it isnt working- any help is appreciated.

It's a .gpx format. Which is a generic mapping data format. If you update your version of Mapsource, it should open it fine. Garmin has the updates for free on their website.

Worked great,thankyou.Logged the routes but my austin trip has been cancelled.Bummer,the breakfast loop looks cool.Used to run the roads around there years back.You guys have some neat ridesclose to home.

Thanks for the routes, I have them saved for future reference.

I opened them with Google Earth as well and some of the routes do not even follow any kind of trail. One leg actually crosses a landing strip. Should we just use the waypoints?

I opened them with Google Earth as well and some of the routes do not even follow any kind of trail. One leg actually crosses a landing strip. Should we just use the waypoints?

I suggest MapSource from Garmin.

Right, a route is a series of waypoints. Google Earth just connects them with straight lines. With Mapsource and a routing mapset loaded (City Navigator fore example), it will build you a route using the roads to connect those points.

There may be a way in Google earth to get it to make what it calls driving directions to route between waypoints on the road, but I don't know how.

Without a routable mapset (note, magellan's mapsend is similar), you will have to figure out which roads connect the dots yourself.

In fact, if Fastmonstr and I have different routing preferences set we could each end up with a different route to connect the dots. For example, I could have avoid highways on, and he could have his set to avoid dirt. Also, if we used different versions of the mapsets that can affect it. Some roads might be on a newer version that aren't on an older on.

The joys of technology. Something to think about if you are riding with a group and everybody has a different make, model and mapset of gps.

Back