• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spoggy front brakes

Reaction score
Hi, I found that the ABS brakes on my new GSX1250FA is a bit spoggy with not much feel . If I change the brake pump to Brembo 19RCS with aftermarket brake lines, will that make the brake better with more feel ??? Any suggestions ???? Thanks

the ABS might limit the amount of "feel". Also, two out of the three Bandits I've ridden have have had "spongy" brakes (mine doesn't).

I've found most of the Suzuki's I've ridden have brakes that feel a bit spongy compared to, say, a Ducati, or even some of the Honda's I've owned. And the non-ABS Bandit I rode didn't really feel much different. SS lines may help a little, but I think there's just too much flex in both the master cylinder and calipers. I just accept that the Bandit isn't a full-on sport bike, and it's part of the compromise.

Yea, I am on board with the "suck" thing. I have the ss lines and Ferodo pads and it is better. Funny, the artical on the 1250 FA (2011) stated that this is the only Suzuki with the cast Master cycl, since the GSXR and Busa each have the plastic raised MC. I have seen on other boards people using a GSXR MC (~$145 on flea bay with lever) with better results. Mine are acceptable now but do not match what I have felt on the VFR1200, VFR800, Tri GT or 1050 Tiger.

Mark

Ride and old KLR for a bit, you'll just adore your Bandit's brakes. I guess Suzuki could of put all the latest greatest on the Bandit, But then, who would pay the extra monies? It would be quicker and cheaper to buy a sport bike and to do seat, handlebars set ups and footpeg relocations than bring a Bandit to sport bike specs. We have a couple of guys about here that have done that.

My Spoggies work, and they work well.

But the tactile sensation is numb, with little feedback (if ANY), and I've developed a habit of pumping the lever one or two times before applying the front brake. They say it's the nature of all the plumbing between the lever, the master cylinder, the ABS, and then finally to the brake pads.

Bleeding helped, but that was short lived, better pads DID improve the overall stopping power, but SS lines are still only as strong as the wink link.... the ABS. In other words, I doubt SS lines would eliminate the spogginess.

I suppose it's the nature of our "sport"-Touring machine, more comfort by isolating the rider from the 'feel' of the machine beneath him, and less feedback and firm ride from the 'sport' part of the machine. I've complained about my brakes for about for 41,000 miles.... I wonder how much longer the REST of this wonderful motorcycle will keep my interest and overshadow it's failings I can do nothing about.

In short, darn good bike.... brake 'feel', not so much.

Ride and old KLR for a bit, you'll just adore your Bandit's brakes.

I learned on a KLR 250 then went to a S50/VS800 and then the Bandit. I agree with you 100%. I couldn't stop on the KLR to save my life on the open road at higher speeds! :giveup:

While I am not too much of a Triumph fan (save for the 2011 GT), I am impressed with the quality of parts on their bike. Same to be said on the Honda bikes and untill lately you had to pay through the nose for these bikes. The reason I got the 07 B1250 instead of the 07 YZF or K1000 (too ugly, so no chance anyway) was that it won the best bang for your buck. However, one area that I do feel that is lacking on our bkies is the feel of the brakes. Moreover, now that the Bandit is $11999, I feel that it is pricing itself out of its market. The new CBR1K and Kaw 1043 are very nice bikes and are a few thou less then the Bandit. Since I have invested into my bike I am not going anywhere and my total investment is somewhere near 12K to date (oil, tires not withstanding). While the bandit is truly a outstanding bike it is becoming a bit dated for the price and I think that Suzuki should look at a few upgrades, the SV650SF has the raised MC while the GSX650F and GS500F use the cast MC. The SV650SF is not too expensive so why can't the Bandit get the same raised MC?

Mark

I used to think the brakes on the bike were kinda spongy but after reading this thread I have to agree, the Bandit brakes are downright spoggy.

On another note, I've ridden bikes with new Brembos and they friggin scare me. I actually prefer a bit of spogginess in my breaks...just less than the Bandit currently has.

I used to think the brakes on the bike were kinda spongy but after reading this thread I have to agree, the Bandit brakes are downright spoggy.

On another note, I've ridden bikes with new Brembos and they friggin scare me. I actually prefer a bit of spogginess in my breaks...just less than the Bandit currently has.

Agree, I'm a 3 finger front braker now. Up from a 2 finger on my Oil Head BmW's. I'd hate to go to a one finger on the newer sport bikes. Rode one awhile back and one finger will lift the rear. :eek2:

If your brakes are really soft, I bet they need to be bled more. The ABS bikes, especially, have a long, long run of brake line to trap air. Try this test: wrap something around the front lever and grip so that the front brakes are firmly applied. Leave it that way over night.

Ride the next day. If the brakes feel much more solid, that's because leaving the system pressurized overnight has compressed the air and forced it into solution with the brake fluid. It won't stay that way, though.

Back