• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GoogleEarth/Garmin Mapsource link

Texian

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Saulsbery
Im just getting into this GPS suff and kept reading about the cool GoogleEarth translations from Garmin's Mapsource.
I could never get the software to export the correct files.
I updated the Mapsource software today, and there's a direct link in the menu.

Top pulldown menu "View"
Last selection is "view in GoogleEarth"

Starts GE right up and there's yer routes!

Sorry if yall aready knew about this...I was having a hard time getting it to work.
I'm easily impressed:drool:

Interesting. I've been saving as a gpx file and importing into GE. I notice that when you do the view in GE from Mapsource it shows all the points. Going the .gpx route I get just a line showing the tracks. Also view option seems to pull everything over. I was hoping maybe it would be only the selected track. Still very nice.

I just updated my mapsource software and it is there. That sure does make it easier to use with GE.

Thanks for the heads up.

WoodButcher said:
Interesting. I've been saving as a gpx file and importing into GE.
See...I can't get a gpx to save my life. Are you using the 'save as'...or the 'export' function (that I don't seem to have anymore)..?

Texian said:
See...I can't get a gpx to save my life. Are you using the 'save as'...or the 'export' function (that I don't seem to have anymore)..?

I can still save as a .gpx . Use the save as function and then pull down the file types.

Texian said:

That functionality change slightly after version 6.5. Now you have to do a save once as gdb file, then in the save as menu, under file type there is gpx.

I was fine with that option until somebody else said they were running a new version and had problems. So I upgraded and notice that odd behavior.

Back