• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another Colorado Dual Sport Trip

Johnf3

Reaction score
I know Colorado has been covered many times on trip reports, but I have not seen any with a KTM 950 Adventure, so here is one from a "big dirt bike" perspective.

My son wanted to do some downhill mountain biking this summer, so off we went at the end of July to Keystone, Colorado. We pulled my enclosed up there with all the bikes, and most importantly, my KTM 950 Adventure inside.

We were there three days. The first day I did the downhill mountain bike thing. Rented a high end downhill bike and had a blast. Some of the expert trails were nuts—huge drops, banked mini bridges, etc. It’s just like riding single track on a motorcycle, and at the end, the ski lift takes you and your bike back up to the top. I highly recommend the Keystone Mountain bike trails if you like downhill mountain biking.

The second day, my son and his buddy went back out to hit the hills again, so I had a free day. If serious 4WD trails above the tree line is your thing, then being based out of Keystone is near ideal. Within 15 miles as the crow flies are some of the best and most difficult trails in the state (Red Cone, Webster, Radical Hill, etc). The snow pack is still incredible up there; many of the trails won’t be fully passable this year.

Anyway, took off towards Montezuma, and took Peru Creek Rd in search of the old Pennsylvania mine ruins. Got to the top, and was all by myself, as I was for most of the trip. The scope of the mountains, steepness of the climbs, etc is impossible to convey by picture.

DSC00727.jpg

Gratuitous pic of the best big dual sport ever made (for me anyways).

DSC00724.jpg

I met up with a couple of other local dirt bike guys, and ended up tagging along with them for a bit. I wanted to go up Chihuahua Gulch but was worried about the water crossings swollen by the snow melt. We partnered up and hit the trail. It’s a fun, steep rocky climb with a big boulder section that had me grinning from ear to ear. We got to the first water crossing, about 20 feet across and too deep in sections to even see the bottom. The other two guys were like, “no way we are trying that”, which was probably a good thing, because I would have tried it. I did not take any pictures.

We turned around and I told them my plan was to ride Deer Creek south out of Montezuma, then loop up on St Johns trail back north back to Montezuma. Deer creek/St John’s makes a nice loop around the area to the south of Montezuma. They said they would go part of the way with me. At the junction of Radical Hill and the trails to the Swan River Forks, they turned around. They were not real strong dirt riders and they said it was too steep to keep going.

Here are some scenery shots of the area:

DSC00747.jpg

Parked on the Continental Divide, top of Radical Hill

DSC00743.jpg

The Radical Hill Welcoming Committee

DSC00737.jpg

Another mountain goat

DSC00739.jpg

Red Cone Mountain and trail as seen from Radical Hill. Probably the most terrifying descent in Colorado as far as jeep trails go. If you think it looks easy, reserve judgement until you see it in person. For an idea of scale, the tiny dot on the final drop is a jeep!

DSC00741.jpg

Pretty high up for a flatlander like me

DSC00750.jpg

The scenery was breathtaking, but clouds were gathering and I had to go. Headed north up St. Johns trail back towards Montezuma. The trail climbs straight up a series of mountain ridges, no switchbacks, and the trail was steep, rutted, and littered with huge rocks that were turned over by jeeps. I made it up without issues. Again scale and steepness is impossible to convey.

DSC00755.jpg

View from the top of the ridge

DSC00756.jpg

At this point I had a bit of “a moment”. I took a wrong turn on a trail that was blocked eventually with snow drifts. I got through the first one, but the second one was taller than me, and I had to get my bike turned around on a narrow, off camber shelf trail. If the bike had gone off the side, it would still be there today. By the time I got turned back around, I was pretty tired. The last bit of trail went up the steepest part of a ridge yet. I was seeing stars and little white spots from wrestling my bike at 12K feet, so I decided to back track the way I came and ended back up in Montezuma via Deer Creek. From there I rode the rest of St. Johns from Montezuma all the way to the top of the ridge where I turned around. I didn’t want to miss anything!

Made my way back to Keystone and explored Keystone Gulch all the way to the top. The first part is suitable for a passenger car, but the turn off to the top and the old Erickson Mine is low range 4WD only—steep, rocky, and narrow switchbacks above the tree line at the top. I got as far as the road went, and was rewarded with amazing views.

The old mine
DSC00760.jpg

The view from the top looking down on Lake Dillon with camera zoom

DSC00763.jpg

I also got out Saturday and went over Boreas Pass (all dirt but very easy, I could have driven my motor home over it), and tried Georgia Pass (Mt. Guyot) from Jefferson as a way to loop back to Breckenridge on an all dirt route. Right at Mt. Guyot, on the Continental Divide, the trail was closed due to a wash out. The locals said they had a four inch rain just a few weeks ago. I could tell. Many parts of the trail I rode during the trip were recently eroded, which made things even trickier.

Overall, it was a great trip to one of the best areas in Colorado. I put in about 160 miles, including the road miles to the trails. Highly recommended!

Thanks for posting this, I moved to Texas 5 years ago (From Europe, France) and have only ridden DS in Texas since arriving in the USA, My wife and I are starting to plan some DS rides and Colorado is a MUST!!! Even the wife is getting excited about it (She rides a CRF230F and I have a CRF450X) both bikes are a lot lighter than yours, but it should be a lot of fun. The more pictures we see, the more it motivates us to go..

Gary

Last edited:
Great report John, cooled me off a little just lookin' at the images!

MiddleAgedMissle did a RR awhile back in CO on a 950 ADV. But hey, I'll look at tons of CO pics before I get bored. Bring it on!!!

Right now I could dive head first into that snow bank!

Do you have a GPS trail for the geeks on the forum per chance?

Oh how I wish, wish, wish... I open my eyes and it's still 103. 40+ how many days, oh don't tell me. I must be there next year, Plan, Plan, Plan... Sam

Thanks for posting this, I moved to Texas 5 years ago (From Europe, France) and have only ridden DS in Texas since arriving in the USA, My wife and I are starting to plan some DS rides and Colorado is a MUST!!! Even the wife is getting excited about it (She rides a CRF230F and I have a CRF450X) both bikes are a lot lighter than yours, but it should be a lot of fun. The more pictures we see, the more it motivates us to go..

Gary

Your bikes would be ideal for this area. Also, the area south of Montezuma where all of these pictures were taken are legal for real dirt bikes too--no license plate necessary. You would need a Colorado off road sticker though. There are several parking areas right near the trails where ATV's, dirt bikes, etc can unload and be ready to go.

Thanks John, Both bikes are plated, but we enjoy riding them in state parks, so we also have Texas off-road stickers, will have to find out where to get the Colorado sticker.. Thanks for suggesting the places, I am writing them down and hope to plan a trip there for next year.

Gary

Right now I could dive head first into that snow bank!

Do you have a GPS trail for the geeks on the forum per chance?

I had my GPS on the whole time, so I have a mess of unedited tracks. The easiest way to find your way around is to buy the Charles Wells book "Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails". Every trail south of I-70 is listed with GPS coordinates, mileage to turns, complete maps, pictures of obstacles etc. If the trail is historically significant for the sites along the trail, that is explained as well. Make sure and get the third edition. It is spiral bound and fits in a tank or tail bag easily. This book was indispensable for my trip. Much better than GPS tracks.

Thanks for sharing! :clap:
I have driven a few 4 x 4 trails near Durango and Ouray, but not in the Keystone area........with any luck Sam and I can make the CDT soon!!
:sun:

The Texas sticker is good in Colorado, New Mexico, etc.

I believe that is a rumor that has been circulating around for a long time. From the Texas web site.

"At this time, there are no reciprocity agreements between Texas and other States which have State OHV decal programs. If a resident of another state wants to trail ride with their OHV on public lands, where OHV recreation is legal in Texas, they will be required to purchase a Texas OHV decal."

Texas Parks web site: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/

When I asked in Colorado, I was told that the Texas sticker was not good in Colorado. Also, I couldn't find any mention of reciprocity on the Colorado Parks web site.

The Texas site does say that there is an informal agreement to recognize other states stickers.

Last edited:
Thanks Johnf3 for the wonderful ride report. I have no problem if I have too pay to play. :rider: Heck I'd pay double if I COULD GET THERE TODAY. :rofl: No I am not interested in Southwest Airline fare pricing... :-P
Again, great ride report, excuse me I have to go wipe the drool from my chin.

The Texas sticker is good in Colorado, New Mexico, etc.

That is not correct at this time. I know Colorado for sure does not have reciprocity with Texas. I do not think that New Mexico does either, and humanrace's quote from the Texas website seems to confirm this.

Thanks Johnf3 for the wonderful ride report. I have no problem if I have too pay to play. :rider: Heck I'd pay double if I COULD GET THERE TODAY. :rofl: No I am not interested in Southwest Airline fare pricing... :-P
Again, great ride report, excuse me I have to go wipe the drool from my chin.

You are welcome. This is the first ride I have done a report on, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I will do another one soon.

Colorado - Out-of-state OHVs
Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit.
My dirt bike is licensed and street legal in my home state. Do I need an OHV permit to ride on Forest Service and BLM roads and trails in Colorado?
Technically, no you do not. However, we do encourage riders with valid out-of-state license plates to still purchase an OHV permit through Colorado State Parks as a way of helping to fund the stewardship that makes those riding opportunities available including trail maintenance, education, and other projects.

New Mexico-Out of State or Visitor Permitting Requirements
With the passage of SB 379, the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle (OHV) law changed the requirements of non-residents who need to purchase a non-resident permit. The new law now recognizes a non-resident operating an OHV is in compliance with New Mexico if that person:is currently in compliance with another state's off-highway vehicle registration, user fee or similar law or rule demonstrated by certificate of registration, permit or similar evidence…(66-3-1004.C NMSA 1978).
Vehicles not required to be registered for off-highway motor vehicle use:
Motorcycles registered for use on public streets
Vehicles used strictly for agricultural use
Vehicles used strictly on private land

I do not think that New Mexico does either, and humanrace's quote from the Texas website seems to confirm this.

Colorado has endless trails. I don't think there can be too many reports from there ;-) Besides, I have never ridden any of the places in your report, so it is all new to me!

So guys,

If Colorado trails require the state Park sticker, I assume this means you are not riding on Public roads? Meaning that if we went, the kids could come and ride the trails with us (They are 11 & 13, so no driving license) as long as we are careful to avoid normal roads? Is that correct?

Gary

So guys,

If Colorado trails require the state Park sticker, I assume this means you are not riding on Public roads? Meaning that if we went, the kids could come and ride the trails with us (They are 11 & 13, so no driving license) as long as we are careful to avoid normal roads? Is that correct?

Gary

Just speaking of where I rode in Colorado--Yes the roads, trails, whatever you want to call them are public access. They are all clearly marked with what is allowed--jeeps, horses, hikers, dirt bikes, etc. If you have a licensed vehicle, the OHV sticker is not needed, at this time anyway (I have heard the rules may be changing on this as well). If you are on a non-licensed dirt bike, atv, etc. then yes you need the OHV sticker to be completely legal. You would need to trailer your non-licensed dirt bikes to the unloading areas.

The two days I rode in the area, I did not see any law enforcement agencies checking for anything. However, talking to the locals, they told me that LE would sometimes set up at the unloading areas and check for the OHV stickers.

Also, I did double check on the Colorado OHV web site, and it clearly states that OHV stickers from other states are not recognized in Colorado.

I am not an expert in what is exactly required to ride in Colorado, and I think there are a lot of gray areas even if you talk to Colorado residents. My humble advice would be, if I was taking a non-licensed vehicle, to buy the Colorado OHV sticker. It supports the cause, plus is cheap insurance against a ticket.

The other nice feature of the Wells book I mentioned in an earlier post is that he lists all the legal vehicles allowed for each trail. Makes it easy to plan a trip if you are riding unlicensed dirt bikes or ATVs.

Thanks John,

I have every intention of getting the Colorado OHV stickers for all 4 motorbikes, but wanted to make sure it would be legal for my kids to ride..

Gary

Thanks John,

I have every intention of getting the Colorado OHV stickers for all 4 motorbikes, but wanted to make sure it would be legal for my kids to ride..

Gary

Here is a picture of the the approved use sign--there is a jeep ,a horse, a snowmobile, an ATV, a dirt bike, a hiker, etc. Same signs as used in all the National Forest areas in other states as well. If something is prohibited, it would have a red slash through it.

DSC00752.jpg

I lived in Breck for a while. Did those trails about twice a week on a Jeep. Cant wait to get back there on a bike.

Did you go down Radical hill ? The Hummer tours wont do it. I have ,but it was a very skinny road.

Vinny

Still legal/accepted to ride from Crested Butte, Ouray, Lake City, etc. on public roads to the trails with the CO OHV sticker. Riding in a sane, quiet mode of course. I need CURRENT info if anyone has been lately. Thanks.

I remember several signs around Silverton and Ouray that said no OHVs beyond this point. They do provide parking areas for unloading once you get to the riding areas. Several years ago, 4 of us rode through Mount Crested Butte on XR110s in plain sight of a LEO parked beside the road. He watched us ride by but did not stop us.

Back