• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carpenters Bluff Bridge

Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Last Name
Romero
What: This is a route (65 miles one way, 100 miles back) to Carpenter's Bluff Bridge over the Red River, roundtrip from Allen. Roads are two-lane roads mostly, decent surface with a few very narrow roads. The Carpenter's Bluff Bridge is a 1-lane old bridge that was built in 1910. The return to Dallas has some nice roads, and it's a bit longer.

Where: North Dallas, from Dalllas area to Red River in Oklahoma

Designation: Route, mostly Farm-to-Market roads.

cbb2.jpg
cbbr.jpg

DSC_1925.jpg
Many thinks to Paul (Jing) for posting enough information here to allow me to create this route. I have pasted here some of Paul's comments for completeness:

We turned left (north) on 69 and passed through Bells (this is the last place to get gas if you need it). Just past Bells, on the north side, we took FM1897, which splits off to the right. This road eventually drops off some bluffs which gives a great view of the river valley ahead. Just before Ambrose we turned left (northwest) on FM1753. From this intesection we went 3/4 mile to an unmarked blacktop road where we turned right (north). This is a fun road with several sharp 90 degree turns and areas where the trees have overgrown to almost create a tunnel effect.

Eventually, the road parallels the river and you can see it through the trees to the right. Coming to a wide place in the road, where there are a few houses are grouped together and the backside of a cafe on the right, is the bridge also on the right. The trees and foliage on either side fo the bridge almost obscure it. Friendly folks leaving the cafe said that it was a good place to eat breakfast. (We didn't try it, and I haven't tried it the other times I rode through.)

According to the historical marker, the bridge is an old steel trestel railroad bridge built in 1910. Sometime later, after the railroad closed, the bridge was converted into a one lane car/motorcycle bridge. Users have to stop and check to see if anyone is coming from the other direction. Once it's clear it's your turn to cross. Halfway across you can get a good view of the river, which is fairly wide. Water was actually flowing.

After a picture taking session, we continued on the road which curves to the north. Just before Hendrix, Ok we turned right (east), sorry didn't see a road number or name. Coming to a stop sign at a similar sized road headed north-south, we turned left (north) sorry didn't see a number or name here, either. This road ended at Hwy 78, the same as Hwy 78 in Texas. We turned right (east). This stretch of road is very long and straight. The temptation is to visit triple digit land to make things more interesting. I haven't seen any law enforcement in this area but I would expect police/sheriff not to be too friendly to high speed foreigners from Texas. Also I've found folks in these out-of-the-way rural areas don't think twice about pulling out in front of you at 30mph. So, Be Careful.

Eventually, 78 makes a 90 degree turn to the south and soon we were at the Red River, again crossing on another steel girder trestle bridge. Just past the bridge, on the left we saw a dirtbike park which appeared to be making great
use of the sandy areas alongside the river. There's even a freestyle ramp...

I have attached the GPS file and the routing sheets disguised as GPS files too so that I can upload them. Remove the .gdb at then end and save them as pdf files. Hope that's ok with Scott! They are fairly small files.

Attachments

• CarpentersBluffBridge.gdb
    64.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 000_AllenToCarpBluffBridge.pdf.gdb
    20.7 KB · Views: 296
  • 001_CarpBluffBridgeToAllen.pdf.gdb
    26.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Rode there last year. It was pretty neat.

Apparently there is a suspension bridge Southwest of Dallas. I want to go there some time and check it out.

That's a neat looking old bridge. I'd love to visit it sometime, on 2 wheels preferrably. My wife's relatives live up in Denison so we're up there about 1 to 2 times a year. Maybe one of these days I'll load the bike into my Avalanche and haul it up there. :)

Thanks for the writeup!

wabbit said:
Apparently there is a suspension bridge Southwest of Dallas. I want to go there some time and check it out.
I thought the Old Tin Top Bridge was still there but not so sure anymore.

Anyway, this site is a good bridge reference:
Texas suspension bridges

That data indicated that the bridge was removed but the National Register of Historical Places has this:
Tin Top Bridge

Last edited:
Well, it looks as though I will be following in your footsteps again. I now have another destination to go to!

I did your other loop up to Sheman from Plano with some friends on Saturday. I was much easier this time as I knew where I was going!

Could you send me the exact directions like you did for the last?? Thanks

Last edited:
"Apparently there is a suspension bridge Southwest of Dallas. I want to go there some time and check it out."

The Regency suspension bridge? I was there last week. (have pic's but no way to post them).
It's southwest of Goldthwaite off FM500. From Goldthwaite go south on 16. Just before San Saba turn right on FM500. Continue about 14 - 15 miles and you'll see a sign directing you to the Regency Bridge on the right down a rock road, with some tight turns an one fairly steep downhill into a sharp right. Unless you're on a DS bike, keep your speed down, use engine braking and go easy on steering, brakes and throttle. It's about 1/2 mile to the bridge
which is single lane with a wooden plank deck, built in 1939 and restored in 1999. The Colorado River is about 75 feet below. You can continue northward on rock roads (3mi or 6mi) to 574. I went back to 500 and turned right (west) to right on 45 then right on 574 back to Goldthwaite. This loop is a fun ride. It's a long day's ride down there and back.

Paul b.

jrwam1 said:
Could you send me the exact directions like you did for the last?? Thanks

:suicide: I did not catch the part at the end with you links to save the pdf files.. I have the directions now, so no need to send ... Thanks

Last edited:
jrwam1 said:
:suicide: I did not catch the part at the end with you links to save the pdf files.. I have the directions now, so no need to send ... Thanks
You're welcome and have fun! Others before me described the route, and the credit goes to them - I just posted the GPS file. The ride back is fun too, and tricky without GPS... Even with a route sheet it's challenging.

Jing said:
... The Regency suspension bridge ...

A beautiful bridge, but I would call it WAY southwest of DFW. To locate it look due south of Brownwood on the map. If you have a copy of The Roads of Texas, go to Eb on page 104 and you will find it almost on the line between E and F. It is well worth the trip. The last time I was photographing the bridge a fellow crossed it on a motorcycle. After getting a few whots of him he stopped as asked me what magazine I was working for. :rofl: Yea right !!! All the CRs around there are well worth the time if you have a DS bike or don't mind a little dirt.

Back