PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for Autocom Bike to Bike transceiver?

Boxercup Dave
11-21-2005, 05:57 AM
I bought two Autocom systems for wifes bike and mine for bike to bike communication. Autocom recommends Kenwood however they also have interface cables for Motorola.

Looking for recommendations for ease of use and small transceivers? Range is not as critical. I have an 04 BMW 1100S and she has a 97 F650ST.

Dave

Gilk51
11-21-2005, 06:15 AM
The wife & I just bought two Autocomm units when they had their sale. I looked around and got two of the Kenwood 1/2 watt FRS radios from Amazon.com for $70 each. Search for Kenwood Freetalk LH (UBZ-LH14). It requires a $30 Autocomm cable but is supposed to be the best radio for their unit. Autocomm wants $85 for the Kenwood.

Got the radios last week but the Autocomm units are still on order...

macktruckturner
11-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Would either of these integrate into the GL1800's system? My Dad has a GL1800, I have an SV650S, and it'd be nice to have an in-helmet system to communicate between bikes.

Gilk51
11-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Here is Autocoms US site: AutocomUSA (http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/home.cfm)

There are several GL-specific options - connection to the onboard stereo and the onboard CB radio (requires special cables). If he used the CB, you would just have to get a CB transceiver for your side.

If you went with FRS/GMRS, you both would need a transceiver...

macktruckturner
11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
thanks - he didn't actually get the CB option, just the intercom - so we'd both need trancievers anyway. I found the site and browsed around, but websense was being :( at work, so yeah.. I'll do some more digging to see exactly what I want

rbickle
12-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Hey, glad you posted this. I was just about to order myself one of the Audio Boss units from Dennis Kirk. Model AB-1M. This unit comes with 2 complete headsets, FM radio, and cables for everything from cell phones, FRS radios to MP3 players and radar detectors. It's $169, but it has more stuff.

Anyone have one of these? Opinions?

Rick

rbickle
12-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Here's the link to it on Dennis Kirk...

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p406913&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Rick

bowillyard
12-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I have been using Motorola FRS/GRMS radios with my Starcom1 they seem to work well, I have also used them hiking, fishing and camping they have been durable and work very well. I use them from car to car and bike to bike no problem. Motorola claims a 10 mile range but about 2 mi on the road and 7 mi hiking in the mountains is about all I have been able to get. You are supposed to get a license if you use the GMRS channels. It costs about $80 from the FCC site. :)

Does anyone know if the Chatterbox FRS or GMRS radios use the same channel as the Motorola radios?

kocook
12-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Bo,

How do you like your Starcom1? What do you have hooked up to it? Where did you get it?

Looks like best bang for the buck and has good reviews in Europe.

Gilk51
12-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if the Chatterbox FRS or GMRS radios use the same channel as the Motorola radios?
The Chatterbox supposedly uses the standard FRS/GMRS channels - the first seven are the same for both, that is, a FRS radio can talk to a GMRS radio in that band.

I have a Chatterbox X2 FRS and a Kenwood Freetalk - I guess I'll do a test...
:-D

Gilk51
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a Chatterbox X2 FRS and a Kenwood Freetalk - I guess I'll do a test...
:-D

Setting up the following units:
Kenwood Freetalk FRS, ch7sub7
Bellsouth 1050 FRS (son's radio - thought it was GMRS), ch7sub7
Motorola Fr50 (other son's older cheapo unit), ch7
Chatterbox X2 FRS, ch7sub7

I thought one of these was a GMRS but it wasn't...

Channels 1-7 overlap on FRS and GMRS. Supposedly, channels 8-14 are not compatible. I was able to transmit on all the radios except for the Fr50 which does not support sub channels (not sure if the transmit works since no other radios). However, the Fr50 would pick up the other's transmissions.

Looking at several FRS/GMRS radio forums, it appears that these radios are pretty well made and quite compatible. However, the cheaper (2 for $19.95) radios you see in sale ads will not have a remote connection ability and probably not the sub channel feature - you just get the 14 basic channels.

I paid $70 for the Kenwood from amazon.com and another $30 for an Autocom cable. But it connects up pretty slick.

Maybe that will help someone.