• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Garmin Quest pricing!

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Napurano
Just wanted to let you guys know... Amazon now has the Garmin Quest for under $350 w/ free shipping! Here it is.

Is this a top-of-the-line unit? I'm in the market for a good GPS and my eyes ain't so good anymore... I NEED a good visible screen and the ability to make my routes on my computer and upload them to the GPS.

Dave

I decided to pre-order a Garmin 2730 from getfeetwet.com. They have a $20 discount on pre-orders making the price just $889, and they also throw in an extra year of warranty on top of Garmin's. It's a bit more expensive than the Quest, but I'm looking forward to having the integrated XM/MP3 functionality, as well as the weather and traffic reports all on the GPS.

terrebandit said:
Is this a top-of-the-line unit? I'm in the market for a good GPS and my eyes ain't so good anymore... I NEED a good visible screen and the ability to make my routes on my computer and upload them to the GPS.

Dave

I wouldn't say top of the line, since you can spend over $1K on a GPS unit these days. For the money, it is definately the best deal out there though. Comes with plenty of RAM, small unit, comes with full PC software, mounting kit (car), power cable, etc.

If I was taking a trip to Arkansas from NE Texas, would I have to take a laptop along with me to utilize all the features of this machine? In other words, would the memory (115MB) allow me to load Arkansas and TX maps from the CD's?

Dave

You could do that easilly... I have the Garmin 60C with only 56mb and I was able to do North Texas up into Arkansas and Missouri with that much!

Thanks Mike!

Looks like this might be a great Christmas present for me. :-D

I need some suggestions for a handle bar mount that will work well with this unit. I see that Garmin has one but I don't think that will work for me (too short). Can someone point me in a direction here... thanks.

Dave

My only concern would be for a bike application, that it does not appear to be waterproof like your 60c.

Dave ... I've bought several bike mounts from CycleGadgets. They were at last year's motorcycle show, though not this year's. Great bunch of guys, and they are planning to move their operations to Arkansas here in a couple years, complete with a motorcycle only camping area. They are big fans of the sport.

Anyway ... look at the RAM mount options. I use several, and they various arm lengths should result in something that's big enough for you.

BTW ... I used the 54MB in my 60CS for my coast to coast trip earlier this year. I did need to reload maps once I got to Kerrville (my half way stopping point), but other than that it held everything easy enough. You can fit the entire state of Arkansas's maps in a Garmin with only 27.6MB, so don't think you'll have any worries there. I needed something with > 1GB of map storage just for multi-day endurance events where many states are involved, but I'm the oddity and not the norm.

I have the quest and I like it. It is waterproof and I use the mounting hardware from Touratech.

Rocket_Cowboy said:
...but I'm the oddity and not the norm.

You have a severe case of farklitis :nana: I don't think there is a cure, only a treatment of the symptoms by playing with cool gadgets :lol:

I got the Quest about 2 weeks ago. It is waterproof to 1 meter so it should be fine on a bike in the rain. It has 115 megs of ram for maps. I got all of North Central Texas, all of Oklahoma, some of Arkansas, the area covering I20 thru Louisiana and the southern two-thirds of Mississippi and I still have a few megs left over. Plenty of mem. That's more riding area than my rear can handle at one time.

The Quest comes with version 6 of City Select N/A. Since v7 was already released, it's a free upgrade, just order the DVD online. They ship it free. (It's free if you register your copy of v6 AFTER the release of v7.)

The screen is easily readable during the day unless the sun is in exactly the right place to make the screen act like a mirror. It supports WAAS (when WAAS is actually operational.) It also comes with a suction cup mount for the car, which plugs into the cigar lighter and also has an external speaker attached. It is a sealed unit with a lithium-ion rechargeable battery inside. It includes a separate AC charger for the house.

I bought the HB1 mount by RAM from CyberGadgets. It was a direct bolt-on for my Wing. It took me 3 minutes to install using the bike tools.

Needless to say, I am pleased with mine. Thanks go to Mike Napurano for the advice and guidance! Thanks Mike!

Pat Magee

Pat, welcome to the site! Thanks for the feedback!

Scott ... the 2730 doesn't use the $99.99 weather plan ... that's the package that you use to get the full blown NEXRAD images and what not. The weather info that the 2730 uses is part of the NavTraffic plan ... it's only basic weather conditions, not all the radar images overlay like the aviation units.

Thanks Mike!!! I just ordered one for my husband for Christmas. He's been looking at them for a few months now.

I wonder how the antenna and the rest of the unit holds up in dirt riding and holds up to vibration? Anyone use and abuse the quest that can give feedback? 300 bucks is a good deal it seems and it comes with city select. The Quest 2 comes with CS already loaded and the free memory I believe, but it is like 200 more.

Vaughn

Back