• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Got a road question for Killeen/Copperas Cove folks

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab It has been over thirty years since I was last in Copperas Cove. Is FM 116 between Copperas Cove and Gatesville open to the public? Also, any recommendations on a place to stay? I am putting together a ride for next May and need a good hotel for about 8-10 people. And last but not least, good places to eat? Preferrably in walking distance from the hotel ;-)

Adios,

I'll have to look in my map book to see if I've traveled 116 recently. I'll get back to ya.

Living in Killeen I've never had the need to arrange lodging so close to the homestead but will ask around.

You might also want to consider lodging in Lampasas since its right down the highway and near several good riding routes.

Many new hotels have also been constructed in the Killeen area as this is fast becoming a boom town with the continual expansion of Fort Hood. Rumor is 15 to 20 thousand more troops will converge upon this area in the near future.

If you choose a particular establishment and want it reviewed prior to booking I can take a look before you commit with plastic.

Howdy,

:tab Thanks for the info Hagrid. I was actually leaning towards Copperas Cove because it is smaller, cozier. They have what looks to be a nice Best Western or Holiday Inn Express.

Adios,

Can't say if 116 is open, but 1113 to 580 is probably more rewarding from a riding standpoint - there are some nice curves on that road. I've got some suggestions for other roads around there too, if you're interested.

Wish I could tell you about lodging in Copperas Cove, but I normally don't pay attention to that sort of thing unless I'm looking for a place to sleep right now. :wink:

Scott,

If you havn't been to Copperas Cove in thirty years your goin to be shocked by a not so small cozy community. The Cove has inherited a much larger population as has this entire area.

On the way home from work I passed a Hamptin Inn in Killeen that is bordered by both Bennigans and Applebees within a footballs throw.

Back