• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Critique - Starting shot - bike and building

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Okay, so I think I need to start working a bit more at photos. So here is a photo from two pie runs ago, one of a whole mess of photos at an abandoned gas station. I just pulled it from my memory card and uploaded it to Picasa. At my beck and call I have GIMP, but little experience. But as far as composition, I *think* this has good potential. I've got a couple more that I also like where the bike is up on the walkway between the pillars and the building, but they aren't as good.

100_4613.jpg

Exposure Time: 1/200 sec
Aperture Value: 3.90 EV (f/3.9)
ISO Speed Rating 64
No Flash
Focal Length: 6.3 mm

Shields are up, so load and lock, then fire away!

Kodak EasyShare V610, most likely set on all auto.

I've both linked the Picasa version as well as uploaded the original file, which is a better option?

Attachments

• 100_4613.jpg
    100_4613.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 147
The first thing that comes to mind for me is I think the shot is a bit overexposed. The bike's reds and side profile aren't too bad being a bit OE, but the rest seems blown out. A simple correction in something like Lightroom would help that aspect considerably. Maybe bump the contrast a bit to bring out a bit more of all the details?

But I have to ask what's the picture telling me? What's the story? I think it's a beautiful - yet thirsty - bike and no place to quench that thirst. Or is it the new sleek Ducati and all it's technical glory vs the old, dilapidated station of days gone by?

I'm surprised the DOF has all that detail for f/3.9. And it's really sharp too. Probably getting to be fairly wide open, with an ISO of 64 and shutter speed of 1/200, I would have thought the day to be a bit bright for those numbers.

Little things like telephone poles and power lines are also a bit of a distraction. But in some respects, you've recorded history as it sat at that moment in time. There's two sides to that debate.....

Overall, I think if you have fond memories of that specific location, ride or event, then it's a keeper you might want to tweak a few things with. I do sort of like it though.....

That's the thing, when I was taking the picture, I was taking the long way home, and found an old fire truck, an auto repair shop, and took the oportunity to take random photos of whatever struck my fancy.

Things like power lines and poles aren't things I've ever thought about, unless I'm shooting large scale scenery.

In general, though, regardless of what vehicle I'm using, cage, old bike, new bike, I like shots that incorporate a mirror, the front end, a big of a rear bumper, etc. Personal motorized transportation is something I very much enjoy, so usually end up taking pics of it.

^^^ pretty much what he said

I do like the bike/broken down pump concept. If you were low on gas, a shot of be broken pump and your fuel indicator on the bike in one shot would be cool, if that was the situation.

Hard to tell, but positioning yourself about 15 feet to the right might have allowed you to get a bike/pump pic without the gas station in the background, which might/might not been a more pleasing pic. The other possibility would have been to shot it from the other side of the pump, if you could keep the bike in the shade. Might have had more of the light behind you and a little less likely to get the blown out sky. Lot's of guesses since we can't see the rest of the surroundings.

Back