• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stagecoach Inn - Salado, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
This is a wonderful, historic place. The first thing I noticed were the 1XX year old trees at either side of the resteraunt. You enter the front door and step back in time. You are seated and one of the wait staff comes over and reads the menu selection to you. No crusty food cover paper menus here. All the menu items consist of 4 course meal.
I had the Chicken Fried Steak and Amanda had the Grilled Chicken, both were served with greanbeans, squash cassarol, a twice baked potato served in the skin.
In looking arround at what everyone was eating, all looking to be traditional southern cooking like mom or grandmom use to make.
Recipes are said to be from the original restaurant from the 1860's.

Too much to tell read on here:
http://www.touringtexas.com/stage/
and here:
http://www.staystagecoach.com/golf/proto/stagecoach/index.htm

Where:
"150 Year Old Recipes Prepared Fresh Daily"
Stagecoach Inn in historic Salado, Texas
401 S Stagecoach Rd - Salado, Texas 76571 Fax (254) 947-0671

From Austin
Travel north on I-35 to Exit 283.
Exit onto feeder/ access road.
Travel 1/2 mile and entrance is on right.
Turn right into main entrance.

From Dallas
Travel South on I-35 to exit 284.
Turn left at first stop sign.
Turn right at next stop sign
Go through next stop sign and accross Salado Creek.
Turn left into main entrance

From Houston
Travel West on Hwy. 290
Exit to hwy. 36 at Brenham
Follow 36 to Hwy 190 at Cameron
Left onto Hwy 93 at Heidenheimer
Hwy. 93 to I-35 South to exit 284. Left at stop sign, right at next stop sign across Salado Creek to entrance.

More:
The Stagecoach Inn was founded in 1861 as the Shady Villa. The Van Bibber's purchased it in 1941 beginning the heritage of the Stagecoach Inn and famous dining room. Our menu is still given verbally and the hush puppies and strawberry kiss' are world renowned and prepared fresh daily. Within minutes of recreation, golf and historic Salado sites, you'll find activities to satisfy everyone's interest. Shopping is nearby too. Check out a few of our packages, including a Stay and Play packages that includes golf at the 27 hole Mill Creek Golf Club & Inn, designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr.

Sign:
home_photo1.jpg

Restaurant Front:
010503Dining%20-%20Long%20viewforwebsite.jpg

Sam Houston Room:
misc_image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write-up.

Assuming you've been to both places, how does it compare to the Salado Mansion? The Stagecoach appears to be a little more up-scale.

scratch said:
Nice write-up.

Assuming you've been to both places, how does it compare to the Salado Mansion? The Stagecoach appears to be a little more up-scale.

I wasn't exactly blown away by the Mansion the other weekend. My burger tasted like it was cooked over charcoal that hadn't burned off all the lighter fluid. The mexican food looked better than my burger though. I don't mean to hijack the thread so lets leave it at that.

Probably a safe bet that the Stagecoach serves superior food, but it's probably also a case of your getting what you pay for. ;-)

In any case, it looks like a nice weekend get-away.

I've been to the Stagecoach once or twice. At the time it was interesting to note that the 'newest' waitress had been there something like 7-8 years! Check out the name tags when you go, you'll see they've been there quite a while...

'Tis a nice old place.

I am from Killeen, and have eaten many times at both places. No comparison. The Stagecoach is the way to go.

Cherioer said:
I had the Chicken Fried Steak and Amanda had the Grilled Chicken, both were served with greanbeans, squash cassarol, a twice baked potato served in the skin.

I cannot believe you didn't mention the Tomato Aspic salad! :eat:

A word of warning ... I have stayed there a number of times and reservations are recommended on EVERY summer weekend. You might get lucky, but I would not bet on it. We always booked our summer fling a year ahead of time.

Back