• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My project speed triple

dino1

Reaction score
With my vfr taking the lead on commute duty I had thoughts of getting back to my project bmw when I found a 1995 speed triple in orange. Well I just had to have it so I sold the ninja 250 to get most of the $$ and scrimped to get the rest.

With cash in hand I drove to dallas in the m streets to check it out. Bike started and ran well but chain was in bad shape and the tires were crap. Only 13,000 miles. A deal was made and home she came. Bike came with extra tires, new chain and sprockets, corbin seat and spare dented fuel tank.

Up on the lift, wheels off and new pilot powers on and the new chain is on, back is all buttoned up. Now on to the front for fork seals and new brake pads, no wonder the bike didn't stop for ****. Perhaps in a few weeks I'll have her going, my projects run real slow I have my 6 and 12 year old girls every other week.

Pics!!!!

DSCN2530.jpg

DSCN2529.jpg

I started getting into performance bikes right about the time this generation of Speed Triple hit the market. I wanted one sooooo bad, but I was a poor, 20-something, mostly full-time musician at the time with little means, and the Speed Triple was a comparatively expensive bike. There was also no Triumph dealership within 300 miles of Midland-Odessa, same as today.

I ended up with a 1992 ZX600RR and it treated me well, but I really like the Speed Triple to this day. Perhaps someday yet I'll have one in the stable.

A great, proper motorcycle. Congrats. :chug:

I love the mid 90's speed triple. Looks like a fun project.

I don't know if that qualifies as a project since the entire project is routine maintenance items, but I bet it helped in the negotiation of the deal. Looks good, fantastic color. A triple will be in my garage one of these days. After a test ride on the 1050 S3 I was certainly in love. It's an impractical bike for my usage, but I still want one.

I had a 96 Speed Triple - liked it A LOT. Mine was black. Similar to yours, except the 96 had a 6-speed, the 95 a 5, if I recall.

Some interesting tidbits:
- There was a very good - often Triumph marked - Sebring 3:1 stainless exhause which sounded great and saved a ton of weight.
- the front forks are 43mm....and not very adjustable. The Race-Tech gold-valve emulator kit will help you out there. Heavier springs, too.
- A Penske rear shock will nicely mach the emulator'd front.

Enjoy it!

Neil

I was 26 when this bike came out and thought they were cool. Wait long enough and soon your dream bike will be affordable. I'm very patient in waiting for the right deal.

I was 26 when this bike came out and thought they were cool. Wait long enough and soon your dream bike will be affordable. I'm very patient in waiting for the right deal.

Still looking for a couple models on my "I Want One" list

1979 Suzuki GS1000S.

1979_gs1000s_l.jpg

I've had lustful thoughts for one of these since...1979.

Another one on the my list, 1988-93 BMW R100RS.

bmw.jpg

I came across an '88 model (like the one pictured above) last year. 17K, Integral cases, some other nice accessories, excellent cond. The seller dropped the price from $5500 to $4500. But I'd just put some serious $ into my Sprint ST, and couldn't have sold it quick enough to snag the RS :doh:. I about shed tears over that one.

Congrats on the S3!

I still miss my Queen Izzy. She was a '95 black beauty of torquey goodness :trust:

I have a top yoke if you want it that can allow you to convert to risers/standard bar for a higher more "sit up" position like on the newer 3Ts. It's your for shipping. Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll send you a pic.

I loved her like no man should love a machine... :lol2:

621379897_TexbF-M.jpg

I loved her like no man should love a machine... :lol2:

621379897_TexbF-M.jpg

If I remember you sold it to a guy in Denton right? I could be wrong I have a terrible memory.
I drooled over that thing when he put it up for sale.

Well the forks are rebuilt using factory goodies and are ready to be installed. Over the weeks I was graciously offered a sprint top yoke and I scored some sprint clip ons on eBay for $50 but I think for now I'm just going to rest the clip ons on top of the top yoke like they were before.

BTW do not rest the clutch clip on on 16 year old brittle plastic turn signals.
No bueno. : (

I had a 96 Speed Triple - liked it A LOT. Mine was black. Similar to yours, except the 96 had a 6-speed, the 95 a 5, if I recall.

Some interesting tidbits:
- There was a very good - often Triumph marked - Sebring 3:1 stainless exhause which sounded great and saved a ton of weight.
- the front forks are 43mm....and not very adjustable. The Race-Tech gold-valve emulator kit will help you out there. Heavier springs, too.
- A Penske rear shock will nicely mach the emulator'd front.

Enjoy it!

Neil

:clap:

Well she's back together and I've been riding her here and there. Wouldn't mind lowering the foot pegs or putting super bars on it but she's fine for now. She's more of a fun bike, the vfr is nice and comfy for the big stuff.

Pictures might look weird, don't know if it's the camera or my old school desktop, my 11 year old is bogarting the laptop. : (

DSCN2630.jpg

The Trophy/Sprint/Trident footpeg conversion works well and it wasn't too expensive although I'm about 10 years behind on pricing. I did this to my 95 Speed Triple which like a fool I let slip away.
Dwight Yoakum and Lyle Lovitt also had this exact same Triumph.

Do you know where one could get this conversion or would I have to piece it together myself? Do you recall the parts needed to convert? TIA!

I had the list of parts at one time. Let me look tomorrow and see on this. You may want to give me a reminder though with my memory. If I can't find the list I can recreate it with a bit of time. It's all bolt on as all the Triumphs at that time used the same frame.

DSCN2669.jpg

CCRRAAPP! thats what $120 gone looks like. Just noticed it in the garage and thought, perhaps it was all ways missing. Went back to older pics and sure enough it was there at one time. Have no idea of when or where it fell off. Need to retrace my route from my last goofing off on sat ride.

Back