• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin GPS V - good?

Yes. I have the GPS III+ which is just a slightly older version of that model and I really like it. When I get ready to upgrade I'll probably just move up to the V since it will have more memory available to hold more maps. It does everything rather well, but without the wiz-bang features (and cost) of some of the new models. If this will be your first GPS unit, that's a good one to start with. As for the use in the car-It'll work fine. I put mine on the dash of the truck on long trips.

I have the GPS V as well and have really enjoyed it. I ride a V-Strom and it's nice to know how far off my speedometer really is! (80 indicated is 72 by gps) Fun to watch the elevation changes in the mountains too. Many of the FM roads aren't in the included database but can be added with Garmins software. I haven't because I'm " geek challenged":-?

I think the GPSV is like in the top ten of GPS's for bikes. Especialy if it's dirt cheap.

Make sure you get all the software with it though.

Just a suggestion...

http://www.cycoactive.com/ offers a "hardening" process for the III+ and similar models (like the V). I don't remember the details but it's something they do to prevent vibration damage, especially on off-road bikes. They did my III+ back in 2000 and it has all but been thrown off a cliff on my XR400 and still works like a champ. Don't remember the cost, but it was minimal.

About 3 months ago I rang them to see if they could do my Quest2. They can't, but did say they still it to the III/V models.

Back