• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #67: Urban Beauty (ENTRY)

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #67 Urban Beauty

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and & Monday, October 24th midnight.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until October 24th midnight.

All forum posting rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fireworks

DSC07738.JPG

First of all, I would like to say thank you for your submissions. It proved really easy for me to get out there and find stuff to photo, but extremely hard to find just the right composition to make it pop. Also I will try my best to offer my critiques, but please take anything I have to say with a grain of salt as I am by no means experienced in this field. Most of my decision was based purely off of the "look" of each photo as well as how it played into the theme of making something ordinary into something extraordinary.

bigboy292000: I think this is a very well executed photo. It paints the urban jungle in a more elegant light(excuse the pun). I also like the framing of the rear view mirror as quite a few people would have overlooked until looking at the photo hours later. I do think that maybe a crop to remove a little of the car dashboard might have helped to draw even more attention to the roadway while still showing that this photo was 100% taken from a moving vehicle.

klb1122: You took the theme and ran with it, and congrats for that. I really, really like how you took a lowly standpipe and all of a sudden it is transformed. To me your exposure is spot on, framing is excellent and the plant hanging out for a little "nature" contrast doesn't distract but somehow just fits. I wonder what it would have looked like from a slightly lower perspective in order to get the ground/crumbly baseboard out of the frame? But then again, there might have been something above in the background that prevented this.

Voni: Very nice color saturation without being overbearing. It brings a very familiar sight to many of us here in the urban jungle and singles it out to showcase it. Not having been there, I don't know if it was possible, but maybe shooting the sign from a different angle to fit a little bit of a story behind it or in front of it. Sort of like a sign's struggle to stand out in a busy world, or something similar?

Fiddyone: I am a sucker for a good B&W photo and this certainly is a good one. I appreciate the challenge is this as well because due to all the horizontal surfaces at varying distances it is quite difficult to get things to look "straight" yet you have done a very good job with it. Maybe, just maybe... getting in a little closer and bringing the focus of the shot to a smaller area could have made more of a pop in the photo. Right now while it is very well composed, and exposure is also good, it just sort of blends together somewhat.

Tracker: I like how you captured a "time long ago" type feel with this photo. It feels like I'm back in the early 80's with my umbrella in my drink, getting ready to go hit the slots. I do think that maybe, just maybe that the sky might have been highlighted with dare I say it a little hdr magic. It is such a big portion of the photo, that I feel it should stand out even more. But having said that your contrast is very well done and that would have been lost with hdr so maybe it is one of those darned if you do, and darned if you don't kind of things.

M38A1: Okay so I must be honest, my boss and I were looking at your photo today at lunch and we were quite impressed at how you managed to capture all the stars so clearly while not overexposing the main subject matter. It was then when we realized that the stars were actually tiny pieces of dust on the monitor.....:-) Onward with the photo. I really like the composition of the shot. Your subjects that needed to show no movement are crystal clear, and your motion blur is very good. I wondering if you just waited for a train as well as some passers by to happen along at just the right moment, or if they were your paid studio models. I could have never gotten that lucky with my timing. The streetlight glow is bright, but still not distracting. Your photo has a certain flow to it. Eyes are drawn to the tower first but then drift down towards the train, the street light, over to the passers by, and then off into the dark in the upper left. Very good.

In the end this was quite a difficult decision that had much deliberation between my boss and I. In the end, the tip of the hat was given to the person that executed the theme most accurately while also having excellent composition, as well as exposure and lighting. So the winner for the Urban Beauty Contest is: klb1122(Kory):clap:

Congrats for taking a very forgettable urban setting and making it something that we will all hopefully remember for quite some time.

:clap: everybody. All great concepts and executions. They all had something special. The standpipe kept drawing me back, but I couldn't figure out at first--the weeds/grass looks like flowing water.

Mine was over processed to try for an extreme effect (and make up for the shortcomings of a camera phone.)

Cool, great choice; I loved the winning shot!

If I was doing it again, I'd make my camera focus on the car interior, which would make it crisp; then I think it would make more sense. The stuff outside was going to be blurry no matter what eh. Glad you noticed the rearview mirror! :)

Excellent entries this time around everyone. :clap: And I like the creative aspects utilized.

When I saw Kory's entry, I knew trouble was ahead. That really captured the essence of the assignment and I think was technically well executed.

Sorry, a neglected, tampered with, FD Standpipe connection is pretty ugly to me. Not a pretty sight. Professionally speaking. ;-)

JUST KIDDING! It's a nice shot.

Sorry, a neglected, tampered with, FD Standpipe connection is pretty ugly to me. Not a pretty sight. Professionally speaking. ;-)

JUST KIDDING! It's a nice shot.

Bruce, can't you just hear the grass screaming "WE SHALL OVERCOME"!!!

And,

The maintenance team lead saying "When's the last time those risers and drainpipes were PM'D!!!"
:trust:

Speaking of riser, what's up with the little spigot at the bottom? A garden hose? :rofl:

Kory -
Check your PM's!

If we don't hear from you by Monday the 31st 9pm, a runner-up will be announced and have the next assignment.

Hello all! I'm back in town. My wife and I were in Jamaica for a week, getting back late last night. I just now was able to fire up the computer to check twtex and what a pleasant surprise! :-D

I'm glad you liked my shot, Bill, and thanks everyone else for the kind comments. I was out on my lunch break trying to come up with something I normally wouldn't look at and turn it into beauty. I was taking pictures of everything from fire hydrants to parking meters... even a porta-potty. :eek2: But, nothing really moved me until I came across this standpipe. The grass/weed was hanging out of it and it almost looked like art. I had alot of fun with this assignment.

I'll try and come up with a theme asap to give everyone to enough time to shoot. Sorry for the late notice on the topic.

Back