• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Daytona

Reaction score
At the back of the pack and out of the dust
I'm working on a '41 Indian 741 for a neighbor and as a gratuity he has offered me a RD400 Daytona. I don't know much about the bike other than it is whole, not running and I've always wanted one. After the Harvest Classic I'll pick it up and bring it to it's new home, putting it in line with too many other projects. As I recall, at one time thirteen of the fastest twenty five lap times on the Isle of Man were set by this series of motorcycle, not a bad pedigree.

Last edited:
DSCN1362.jpg

Picked up a parts bike and a BSA A65 too!

interesting bike. Looking forward to seeing it at a future Pie Run.

Came back 473 and the Devils Backbone. Still fun even though I was pulling a trailer. I made a couple of stops and had someone stop to see the bike both times.

At the Quiznos in Bastrop I ran into a guy in a BSA shirt who asked if the bike was a barn find. When I admitted it was he and his wife laughted. She had told him "that bike just came out of a barn." We talked for some time, nice fellow, definitely knew his stuff. Mentioned that he had worked for Yamaha back in the day. Of course it's hard not to like a guy who raced Triumphs.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Jan/070117afitc.htm

Rman, it spins and feels like it has compression. A good sign.

Last edited:
Congrats on the find, as long as the crankshaft seals are in good condition, these bikes are real easy to work on and not too expensive for parts!! Lot of fun on the road..

Gary

When it comes time to rebuild the engine and set the ignition timing to 1.8mm BTDC call me, I have the Yamaha dial indicators just for this step, I'll lone them to you. I own (3) RD350's and an RD400, as well as the GT550 620cc project I'm building. I love street legal two smokers.

Talk soon Travis

Love this guy's sound..:trust: Listen close at about 0:28 and you'll hear the YPVS do a test cycle when he turns on the key. He also has the cat converter overheat sensor disabled (obviously due to the aftermarket pipes) as it should be audible as a 'beep beep' when the key is turned on. You really had to be on the pipe for that thing to ever 'beep', the cluster even has an idiot light that blinks along with the alarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TiXBAkI4Uo&feature=related

Meriden, it sounded like you have the same problem I do - more projects than time! Have you gotten to this project yet?

Phil

I've started disassembling the bike and collecting the parts I need for the restoration. Not to long ago I was in the barn where I found it getting parts for the Indian and ran across the missing side cover plus a cardboard carton with a disassembled RD400 motor inside. Great luck! As for this bike, the compression is good, everything turns freely so starting it is in order before doing any work on the motor.

The last few months were spent preparing for the LAB2LV ride with Rman and ThrasherG and now I've disassembled the Challenege for some well deserved routine maintenance. My neighbor and I had planned on getting the Indian running and starting the Daytona this month, but the Indian may take another few weeks. Hopefully I'll be blowing smoke by the spring.

We'll need a dedicated thread for two stroke street bikes pretty soon.

m

Hopefully you can post up some photos. I have a Kawi 2 stroke triple I am working on as well as the RZ, so the 2 stroke thread is a good idea in my book!

Hopefully you can post up some photos. I have a Kawi 2 stroke triple I am working on as well as the RZ, so the 2 stroke thread is a good idea in my book!

Which triple is it? Back in the late 70s I used to ride a Mach III that would eat most of the street racers in DFW. Spooky, spooky bike. Love to have another one.

Once reassembly starts I'll shoot some pictures. In the mean time post up a couple of your bikes. Looking forward to getting some riding in. Maybe we can get Rman to get his RZ out of the barn before it starts looking like mine!:eek2:

m

I agree we need a two-stroke tread. Street only or to include dual-sport/full dirt bikes? Hurry Meriden that RD is rare bird. Looking forward to seeing/hearing it in person. Drew

Back