• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Tin Top Bridge Mystery

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
One of my agenda items yesterday was to go looking for this alleged suspension bridge in Parker County. Now, I had heard of a bridge before and had wanted to look for it - I had heard that it was supposedly still around.

Here is what is says in National Register of Historic Places
Tin Top Suspension Bridge ** (added 1983 - Structure - #77001464)
2 mi. S of Tin Top on SR 1884, Tin Top
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Parker County
Area of Significance: Commerce, Engineering, Transportation
Period of Significance: 1900-1924
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Transportation
Historic Sub-function: Road-Related
Current Function: Transportation
Current Sub-function: Road-Related

But another listing at Bridgemeister says this:
1906 Tin Top (Hightower Valley)

Tin Top, Texas, USA (Brazos River)
Mitchell & Pigg

References
HAERTX98 Use: Vehicular
Main cables: Wire (steel)
Main span: 400f

Notes
Similar to 1906 Brannon's Crossing - Parker County, Texas, USA

USGS entry: Hightower Bridge
Feature Name: Hightower Bridge
Feature Type: bridge
Elevation (feet): 718
State: Texas
County: Parker
USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Tin Top
323435N
0974919W

USGS also has an entry for Tin Top

TxDOT has this entry: Suspension Bridges
including this note at the bottom:
None of the Mitchell and Pigg bridges are still standing today although the Hightower Bridge at Tin Top survived almost 77 years until it collapsed in February 1982.

(the next page in that article mentions the Regency bridge)

Another Hightower Bridge reference...

And a Handbook of Texas entry:
The Tin Top Suspension Bridge, which spans the Brazos River, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

From a 1981 map, you can see Tin Top and FM2580. If you zoom in one level you get a 1979 map and can see the Hightower bridge but no 2580... :-?

A list of Brazos River Bridges

I got some help from Kelly (FWRex) yesterday after leaving Stephenville. Now, Kelly really knows the roads southwest of Ft. Worth. We looked at a standard Texas map (which leaves out a lot of FMs) and figured out how to head that direction. We did 1188 and 1189 thru Lipan, took a bit of 4, and then crossed the Brazos on 1189 again. At a stop, He said "I think I know a shortcut to get there"... :roll: Ho boy, here we go, through Dennis and some other places, but dang if we don't end up southbound on FM1884 - exactly where we should be.
righton.gif

However, I expected to come to a dead end or see a bridge. Instead, we ended up intersecting FM2580 right at Mary's Brazos Cafe, just north of where 2580 crosses the Brazos. We went across the highway and stopped at a gas station. Another rider also was stopping (riding a Suzuki Intruder 1400) and we talked to him a bit. He was from Granbury but considered himself a local & said that the bridge was long gone. Anyway, we talked with him a bit before heading up to I20 and home.

So what is the deal with this bridge? There is conflicting information & it sure seemed longer than 2 miles down FM1884 to any kind of bridge. You would think that Handbook of Texas Online would know whether a bridge was in use or not... :roll: (I had a reference that said "In Use" but could not find it again)

Otherwise, it was a good day of riding with Kelly. The wind was really a problem for me with my tall bike, top case, and non-aerodynamic profile. Kelly faired better on his ZRX.

-------

One last note - while looking for the Tin Top bridge, I found a reference to TenMile bridge in Tarrant County. Looks like something to look for (this may be the one I was originally thinking about)...

-------

Oh yeah - a pox on you guys that have posted bridge finding trips and pictures recently! GRRR - you got me into this... You know who you are! :angryfire

Last edited:
That was a good ride, yesterday. Sorry we were a little bit late getting to see the bridge, Chuck. About thirteen years too late...:-) The next time you're considering a "find-the-bridge" foray, give me a shout. I think I'm catching the bug, too.

Kelly

I'm not but I might after finding two small old bridges on county roads in Collin County last weekend. One was nearly all gone and the other under repair, if I could have gotten around the gates, I would have gone over it.

GoogleEarth shows the Hightower and Tin Top bridges in the same location. Just go to Weatherford, TX and head south on FM 2580 until you cross the Brazos River (32 34 33.57N 97 49 17.85W). FM 1884 intersects 2580 just north of the bridge. 1884 crosses 2580 several times north of the river.

Maybe the Parker County hall of records might have more info...

Cheers! M2

Geez, do I need a bridge subforum? :-P

From Killeen, head South on FM 440, and go right on FM 2670 towards Maxdale. Just past a cemetery on the right, there is a little turn off on the left. It is the old Maxdale Rd and there is a cool bridge that goes over the Lampasas River.

DSC01350.JPG

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01349.JPG

DSC01348.JPG

Closed to traffic. Given the amount of rotten wood on the decking, that is probably a good thing ;-)

I need a picture of the old "Airport Road" bridge in Georgetown just outside of Berry Creek Subdivision. I don't know why I'm always attracted to it, but it does look cool for an abandoned old bridge.

FWRex said:
Sorry we were a little bit late getting to see the bridge, Chuck. About thirteen years too late...:-)
I think you mean 23 years too late. :-D

Would this be the bridge in question on the Old Maxwell Road??

th_MaxwellRdBridgeLampasasRiver.jpg

(Click on picture for full image)

Cheers! M2

M2 said:
Would this be the bridge in question on the Old Maxwell Road??
If the lat/lon on the photo is correct, that bridge would be about 100 miles or so south of the brazos river. Looks promising, though...

You must mean the one on the left, on what is now CR 190...

th_AirportRoadCR190BridgeGeorgetown.jpg

(Again, click on picture for full image)

Sorry, the best I can do is aerial imagery...

Cheers! M2

Chuck

Here is a wider area shot, does this help??

th_MaxwellRdBridgeLampasasRiver2.jpg

Cheers! M2

Still think that this is the wrong area - both photos have a latitude of 30N, the Hightower Bridge is at 32N - about 120 miles difference.

Oh, it just occured to me - is this the location of the bridge near Killeen? I thought that these might be old photos of the Hightower bridge...

Gilk51 said:
Still think that this is the wrong area - both photos have a latitude of 30N, the Hightower Bridge is at 32N - about 120 miles difference.

Oh, it just occured to me - is this the location of the bridge near Killeen? I thought that these might be old photos of the Hightower bridge...

Chuck

Sorry, yes, this is the bridge south of Killeen that Scott is talking about. GoogleEarth did not show anything other than the concrete bridge at Tin Top/Hightower...

The second image is for the Old Airport Road (CR 190) bridge txmedic was referring to. Sorry, I guess I got a little wrapped up in the bridge thing, simply as when we (USAF intel) do targeting, they are just a lot of fun to work...

Cheers! M2

Gilk51 said:
I think you mean 23 years too late. :-D

Er, uh, yeah. Sorry, my math skills are a bit off, today. Must have been something that was burning upwind of us, yesterday.
smoke1ds.gif

M2 said:
You must mean the one on the left, on what is now CR 190...

th_AirportRoadCR190BridgeGeorgetown.jpg

Sorry, the best I can do is aerial imagery...

Cheers! M2

That's it!

Kurt

From a different angle...

th_AirportRoadCR190BridgeGeorgetown2.jpg

(As usual, click on picture for full image)

According to GoogleEarth, it is 121 miles from where I live in San Antonio, most of it IH-35 to Exit 266, then not too far from the Interstate. If I am ever in that area, I will check it out and take some pics for ya!

Cheers! M2

M2 said:
Kurt

From a different angle...

th_AirportRoadCR190BridgeGeorgetown2.jpg

(As usual, click on picture for full image)

According to GoogleEarth, it is 121 miles from where I live in San Antonio, most of it IH-35 to Exit 266, then not too far from the Interstate. If I am ever in that area, I will check it out and take some pics for ya!

Cheers! M2

I live across I-35 from the bridge. I'll probably get a couple of pictures of it tomorrow.

Kurt

Cool, I wouldn't have guessed so much of the structure was left from the Google imagery...you are a brave man to walk out on that rotting deck!

Cheers! M2

More on Carpenter's Bluff bridge here.

Oh great, Chuck, now you've got me out bridge hunting! And not for the same reasons as I used to hunt bridges!

Cheers! M2

Back