• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

This thing I have done...

Reaction score
Started out something along the lines of...

newgs750.JPG

1981 GS750E. Traded my cafe'd CX500D and a **** ton of spares for this bike. I miss my CX dearly, but I'd always wanted a GS750. Didn't know that I was in for crappy suspension options and engine troubles.

Found some old-school Showa forks that would swap straight in. Good valving and worked okay. Dropped some 17" GS500E wheels in with dual 310mm rotors and 4-piston Tokicos on custom hangers. Also found some nice Showa adjustable rear shocks. Different bike.

gs750new1.JPG

The forks just weren't up to the task, though. So I dug up an FZR600 front end and went with that.

fzron2.JPG

Got tired of 130mm rear tires. We don't have a lot of turns out here and the skinny profile just didn't last very long. If I was going to have to spend $400 a year on rear tires, they may as well be a bit beefier. So I widened the swingarm 2" and ran a Yamaha YZF600R rear wheel.

daylight2.JPG

The rolling part was golden by that point. But the bike kept burning stators. I'd get 3000 miles out of a stator. I'm sure the issue could have been fixed better, but I wanted a different route. I sourced a 1993 Katana 750 parts bike and dug the engine out of it and crammed that in. BAM! 115whp...ish...do need to get back on a dyno.

newblack.JPG

I hated my tail, though. So I whipped out some plywood, foam, and vinyl and got to this...

newseatandtail01.jpg

newseatandtail02.jpg

newseatandtail03.jpg

I'm now looking at getting rid of the raised clip-ons and doing a bar mount with clubmans. I also want bigger brakes up front. A few touches here and there but I just don't think she's got many major changes left in her.

Small world Huh.... I live around the corner from you. I have the V-strom and the Red dirt covered KTM!

I wonderd what happened to the CX... and noticed the different engine. My name is Danny BTW.

It's Frankenbike!

Looks like a fun project, though. Why do I suspect you'll never be finished with it?

Small world Huh....

Sure is. I think I've spoken to you some time ago...can't remember for sure. Me and the neighbor across the street (Landon) often comment on your little KTM.

I LOVED that CX500...but always wanted a GS750E. Jumped when I had the opportunity to trade. I've tried to get it back a few times, too. Didn't know what I was getting into with the model I got, though, which is why I often get the comment "so much for wanting a GS750" haha. You should pop by sometime this weekend and see the new YM1S lol.

I noticed a few "new" things this morning!

The 450 is mine.... Its a bit tired though. :giveup: I will be getting a new top end between the racing season this year (should funds hold out). Still hardly notices my fat **** is on the back of it though, just a bit hard to start.

The little KTM125exc is my wifes bike. A clean 99 model. Looked showroom fresh with the original back tire on it. She does much better on it than she did on her TTR. Light and fun a **** to ride! Goes like stink even with a flywheel weight on it. Definately a smoker though! :rider:

People in general underestimate 125's. The things are powerful and light as spit. 40hp on the ground is a **** of a lot of power when it's only moving 200lbs.

For the sake of invitation a bunch of the Lubbock Classic Riders group, as well as a number of others, are getting together for a little ride tomorrow afternoon. We'll be meeting up at East 50th and Olive Ave about 1:45 and embark on our little journey at about 2. Goes down to Slaton and back up 84. You're welcome to come with!

Landon (neighbor across the street from me) and I will be leaving the neighborhood at about 1:30 or so.

I was out of town last weekend I might have! I usually go play in that area off FM400 and the county roads down by the lake.

Chores, Prep, and practice for the next race this weekend. I see 50 cool miles of trail in my future this weekend. I need to add some fuel stablizer to the V-strom this week as by the time I get around to riding it after this cold snap will be a while. :giveup: My good winter gear is all a bit to big.

I was out of town last weekend I might have! I usually go play in that area off FM400 and the county roads down by the lake.

Chores, Prep, and practice for the next race this weekend. I see 50 cool miles of trail in my future this weekend. I need to add some fuel stablizer to the V-strom this week as by the time I get around to riding it after this cold snap will be a while. :giveup: My good winter gear is all a bit to big.

You missed a great ride! I wrecked lol. That was the only really exciting thing. Went into a turn a little too hot. These are the first curves I have hit in a couple years. I just couldn't convince myself to let off the rear brake, pitch the bike over, and give a little more gas. Ended up fighting myself into some gravel and washed. Busted up my Vapor and one rear set...a bruised my leg, a rib, and my pride. One of the guys following up the group was even Art Locke...who is an MSF instructor here...

The neighbor wants to try and get one more ride in...if we have another nice weekend (which we might...maybe) we'll go out again.

That bike is so awesome......thx for sharing.

Thanks!

She's about to see some changes, though...have to build new rearsets and probably going to get two analog clocks now that my Vapor is toast.

Art Locke...who is an MSF instructor here...

Glad it was mostly just a bruised ego. When I took the MSF for my street license he was one of the instructors. Him and another Lady. I already knew how to ride I just didn't have a street bike at time to take my test. I let my class M expire.

I've put on a lot of street miles since that course. I have way more dirt miles under my belt though.

Back