• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #68: Relaxation (ENTRY)

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #68 Relaxation

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and & Monday, November 14th midnight.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until November 14th midnight.

All forum posting rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC_0128.jpg

Image withdrawn by user request (date parameters)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone who contributed on this assignment. I have made comments below on each of the submisisons. I am by no means an expert. Actually, I'm the complete opposite, just getting into photography. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I haven't done much as far as critiquing.

Jbay: This looks to be a very playful photo. I appreciate how hard it is to capture a good picture of a furry family member, especially while they are moving around. Trying to frame the picture how you want is practically impossible. The focus on the face looks good. When I put myself in the scene, all I can see is the dog playing around, not necessarily relaxing. Maybe it's because they are out on the ground, instead of on the couch or somewhere cozy. There's even some dried grass stuck to his/her mouth. Although, this could be how you yourself unwind, by playing with your best friend.

Tracker: This is a very nice picture, displaying some beautiful fall colors. To me, the bike almost blends into the rest of the scene. I'm not sure if you intended for this to happen, but I would have liked to have seen it pop some more, and maybe just a little more in the frame. Riding a bicycle certainly isn't my way of relaxing, but different strokes for different folks. The overall scene does have a relaxed tone to it, probably because of the muted tones.

Brotha J: It's not fair when it's impossible to take a bad picture of a beautiful young lady. As far as critique on this assignment, I can't get a feel for the scene. I would have like to have seen a little bit wider of a shot, and more of that red hair. It also feels a little bit tilted to me.

Voni: What a beautiful scene! One could definitely do some relaxing there. What would have been great to me is if the gentleman on the right was completely silhouetted, and we were not able to see the details of the white shirt. If I were to crop this picture, I would take some off the left and a little off the top, letting the entry way frame the scene.

dixonduke: I like the composition of this photo. This picture is simple, yet effective. The overall exposure seems a little on the dark side, but to me that adds to the relaxation part. It would have been really cool if the water would have been running at the time. I'm not even sure it would be possible.

M38A1: I like what you were going for here. Maybe this is the only way you can relax... setting up your camera and waiting for the sun to go down. My eye keeps being drawn to the sun reflecting off the building in the middle. It would have been interesting to see if you could have pulled this photo off an hour or two later, but then again, you were probably working at that time.

Fiddyone: It looks like you may be taking a break next to your bike here. I wonder if it was actually that realxing, seeing as you were next to a potentially noisy freeway. The angle of the picture is throwing me off. It could have been that this was the angle at which you were laying down, not sure. I would have like to have seen the whole bike in the picture, without it taking up too much of the frame. Not sure if that was possible though.

This was a tough decision. I ended up choosing the picture that I kept being drawn back to and could almost relax by looking at it. The winner is dixonduke! It's a massage shower head for goodness sakes! :lol2: I do really like the composition and feel of the photo though. Thanks to those who participated. Job well done by everyone. :clap:

congrats, dd.

in photography, perception IS reality, so what I was trying to achieve obviously missed the mark in some ways.
It was my intent to take the emphasis off the bike as the scene is what I think, made it relaxing. I'm usually a rule of thirds kinda guy, but I think there's times to break that rule. I guess it didn't work for me this time. :lol2:
The warm, subdued muted tones were also intentional, but again, didn't quite hit the mark. :shrug: :lol2:
That's what I appreciate about these contests is I get honest feedback and critique. I can think I'm achieving some "effect" on a viewer of my images, but unless it comes to them naturally, I haven't hit that goal. The minute I have to start 'splainin' things, I've "lost". IMHO, great art explains itself on a subliminal, innate level. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :mrgreen:

Congrats Duke.... :clap:

Thx for the critique. Yes, the middle building was really bright. Actually, the entire skyline was blown out as the little iPhone just had a hard time with the split lighting of dark and bright. But the best camera is the one you have, right? :mrgreen: I tried to bring the skyline back down to reality, but it just wasn't meant to be to mimic the shot in the camera display.

wow I am flattered! Thank you very much. I PP'd the image a bit on the dark/contrasty side to try and bring out the shadow.

This was a fun one. That shower head is courtesy of Clearfield, PAs Hampton Inn!

I will get the next assignment thread started shortly. I am currently in my second airport of the day trying to get to my third one to call it quits for the day.

Back