• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Union-Jack-S.jpg

Triumph.jpg

Weather is murkey, so this is a photo of my new bike from the internet. I picked this up from Robert at Lone Star couple of days ago. To say I'm in love (with the bike, not Robert, although he has potential), is an understatement.

My wife is über understanding, but I can't add a bike to the 1200GSA, the Fatboy, and the KLR. The Harley had to go.

And none to soon. I don't miss it.

This is not a cut on the Harley culture out there, but I am so glad to be divorced of it I want to throw a party.

It was never me. I thought it would be. I was wrong. Like when I ride to Mexico, I don't like "fit in", large group, uniformed cults. And the Fatboy really never was a "great bike". It didn't have anything going for it other than it's connection to the "Marque", and the ticket it punched into the "club".

So WhiskeySmith comes over to Casa Tricepilot one day, on HIS Triumph Rocket III. He says, "take it out for a ride". One block. I peed my pants. Torque to sell to other countries and comfort out the ying-yang.

The G-Force alone when twisting the throttle is nothing like I've ever experienced, at least since flying the T-38 when lighting afterburner.

So I give Robert K my Harley (we do have a moment, the Harley and I) An aligator tear is shed, and then I say to the bike, "we'll keep in touch, ok?"

Then I take the girl home I should have married all along, a Brit.

Here are come interesting videos on the bike:

This is the second bike I've purchased from Lone Star. What a great dealership. My garage is now pan-European/Asian, with the German GSA, the British Triumph, and the Japanese KLR.

More fun:

The bike is pure madness. I get up every night after midnight to meet with her in the garage.

We may even make a tape for the internet. :lol2:

Last edited:
It's a monster of a bike, and I think it's gorgeous, too. A guy at church has one (not the Roadster), and I drool at it a lot.

It's a monster of a bike, and I think it's gorgeous, too. A guy at church has one (not the Roadster), and I drool at it a lot.

Before this bike, a lot a weight was applied to looks and reputation.

This is about power. I hope nobody discovers the Rocket III. :sun:

I can light up every home in Connecticut with this motor. :lol2:

TIOC-S.jpg

I hope this thread dies an early death.

I don't want scores of T-Roadsters spawning the highways. :lol2:

Color me jealous. That's the only cruiser I've ridden that I really wanted after I got off. To say the thing is scary is an understatement. And I applaud you for swapping the HD for a fantastic piece of machinery.

To say the thing is scary is an understatement.

And I applaud you for swapping the HD for a fantastic piece of machinery.

I think a couple years ago I was at Six Flags San Antonio on some "magnetic accelerition" ride. Until the Triumph Rocket, that was as close to a G push as I've ever known apart from afterburning jets.

Mr Freeze...great ride!

It doesn't help that your version has no windscreen. Between the bike trying to launch out from under me, with me hanging on for dear life and the wind trying to knock me off, as I slide backwards, what does my hand do to the throttle?

Finally get that beast under control and I look and low and behold I'm doing triple digits on a big heavy cruiser. Seriously underrated bike. I can't wait to see pics of what yours will look like and what you'll do with it and where you'll ride it. Again, color me jealous.

For safety's sake, the wife says she won't get on it until there is at least a small sissy bar on the pillion to keep her from being ejected.

Carl has a "flyscreen" on his, a small v shaped accessory that he says deflects the wind but doesn't have the full footprint of a normal sized windscreen.

That will be pretty much it. I don't have to worry about any engine upgrades. :lol2:

For safety's sake, the wife says she won't get on it until there is at least a small sissy bar on the pillion to keep her from being ejected.
Smart lady. She should at the very least let you ride it for a week so you can get adjusted to the throttle. :rofl:

Carl has a "flyscreen" on his, a small v shaped accessory that he says deflects the wind but doesn't have the full footprint of a normal sized windscreen.
That will be a very nice addition.

That will be pretty much it. I don't have to worry about any engine upgrades. :lol2:
Which makes me wonder....what exactly is available out there for this motor. :rider:

Don't bring a checkbook to Lone Star if you plan on a test ride on this startling machine. Get home with your bank account secure.

Free lunch at Chuy's next door on me to anyone who opens the throttle on this bike and isn't shocked. :trust:

......perhaps a restrictor plate or a governor? :
Well played sir. :rofl:

Don't bring a checkbook to Lone Star if you plan on a test ride on this startling machine. Get home with your bank account secure.
The advantage of test riding bikes while completely broke.

Free lunch at Chuy's next door on me to anyone who opens the throttle on this bike and isn't shocked. :trust:
So, does this deal exist if you've previously test ridden one? Knowing what I'm in for, I won't be shocked. :trust: Mmmmm, lunch. :eat:

So, does this deal exist if you've previously test ridden one? Knowing what I'm in for, I won't be shocked. :trust: Mmmmm, lunch. :eat:

Special clause kicks in here - you must state you weren't shocked on your first test ride on the Rocket, if you can state that, you get a free lunch :eat:

Yes! But you get a free lunch anyway for taking the ride!

Actually, that should be Robert's marketing strategy. With Chuy's right nest door, he could sell a lot of bikes for a few enchilada plates :lol2:

This bike is a prime example in that HP does not really matter nearly as much as TORQUE. This bike weights around 810 pounds, and generate 122 peak horsepower. My modded FZ1 did about 143 HP, however, the Rocket puts out 147 ft/lbs of rear wheel torque (vs. 73 pounds of torque on the FZ1) and based on some dudes dyno testing the Rocket has 130 ft/lbs of torque just off idle at a mere 1500 rpm. A bike with this instant torque deserves the title Rocket....it is also the LARGEST displacement bike in commercial production out there. :eek2:

Have fun!

RB

It's kind of funny, because the bike will warn you about what you are getting into. You sit at a stop and just blip the throttle and your leg will quickly get tired from keeping the bike from trying to roll over on its side. That's your warning...and the only one you get.

Let me comment about the loudness of these pipes! NOT! After thinking I needed 2 into 1 Vance & Hines on the Fatboy and living in the land of throttle blips at stoplights, the absence of rumbles is music to my ear! The quieter the better - like a giant sewing machine. Bliss!

It's kind of funny, because the bike will warn you about what you are getting into. You sit at a stop and just blip the throttle and your leg will quickly get tired from keeping the bike from trying to roll over on its side. That's your warning...and the only one you get.

This is so true, the first thing I noticed when the bike was running and I sat on it for the first time. I twisted the throttle to hear the pipes, and what I got was the bike kicked to the right due to the torque :eek2:

Congratulations! Sweet looking ride. I hope you find a sissy bar soon so that your wife can enjoy it too. I am interested in her description of the bike after her first ride.

Back