• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brake caliper ....

Tasi

Reaction score
I've replaced most external bolts with stainless allen or button heads.
The fork bolts have beem replaced with n\plated high tensole hex- heads .
On each caliper there are 4 posi -drive button heads .There purpose seems
to be stopping the caliper from splitting in half . I guess they would be
high tensole so replacing them with stainless is out , which is what i would
like to do .Also do the bolts go though the fluid ?

Any ideas ?

I've replaced most external bolts with stainless allen or button heads.
The fork bolts have beem replaced with n\plated high tensole hex- heads .
On each caliper there are 4 posi -drive button heads .There purpose seems
to be stopping the caliper from splitting in half . I guess they would be
high tensole so replacing them with stainless is out , which is what i would
like to do .Also do the bolts go though the fluid ?

Any ideas ?

I've had polished S/S allen heads on my front calipers for over 2 1/2 years now, and have never had a problem with the calipers or the bolts. :trust:

Good enough for me .Bolt shop here i come .If anyone inerested "no" the
bolts dont go though the fluid .(good ).

Thanks .

I always thought the caliper was one piece .Its 2 .If you take all 4 bolts out at once it comes apart .:doh:::-P
Oh well ,fluid change coming up
Exchanging one bolt at a time would avoid this .

I always thought the caliper was one piece .Its 2 .If you take all 4 bolts out at once it comes apart .:doh:::-P
Oh well ,fluid change coming up
Exchanging one bolt at a time would avoid this .

If it were one piece, there would be no need for the 4 bolts, and the factory would have a **** of a time getting the pistons installed. :doh: :lol2:

If it were one piece, there would be no need for the 4 bolts, and the factory would have a **** of a time getting the pistons installed. :doh: :lol2:

So, what about the "mono block" Brembo's? I thought that they were one piece. Is that why they cost so much because it is so hard to get the pistons into them?

Mark

So, what about the "mono block" Brembo's? I thought that they were one piece. Is that why they cost so much because it is so hard to get the pistons into them?

Mark

If you look at the mono block calipers like the Brembo's, they have a wide enough opening in the caliper body that allows the pistons to be dropped down into the middle of the caliper body, and then pushed into the bores.

Mono block calipers also cost a lot more to manufacture due to the very specialized equipment that is needed to reach in to machine and finish the bores for the pistons, as you can't come straight down into the bore like you can on a 2 piece caliper like those on the Bandit.

I'm sure you've also seen mono block calipers that have a large screw in caps on the outside face of the calipers, with square cross pattern grooves in the heads them for screwing them into the caliper bodies, as this design still allows for a mono block design, but make machining the calipers bore much less expensive, as the bore can be machined and finished using normal boring and finishing equipment, and then piston are inserted from the outside and the caps with o-ring seals are screwed into the body of the caliper, and this type of design does not look as nice as like the ones Brembo makes. ;-)

Mono block calipers also cost a lot more to manufacture due to the very specialized equipment that is needed to reach in to machine and finish the bores for the pistons, as you can't come straight down into the bore like you can on a 2 piece caliper like those on the Bandit.

I'd hate to think of the cost of that machine and the stuff to run it. WoW. :eek2:

I'd hate to think of the cost of that machine and the stuff to run it. WoW. :eek2:

I saw a show on TV that talked about the types of machines used to perform machining and finishing jobs on parts like the monoblock calipers, but they did not not for obvious reasons actually show the machines in use, and I'm sure that the calipers are cast in one piece, with the bores needing very little material removal in order to finish them, as due to the smallness of what can be fitted in between the opening on the calipers, you wold not want to have to remove any more material than neccesary to finish the bores.

If you look at the gap on the Bandits calipers, it's not much wider then the width of the two disc and the two pads, and is much, much narrower then the opening on a mono block caliper, which is as wide as possibly to fit in the specialized bore finishing equipment.

Back