• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FREE - America's Byways Map from National Geographic

Looked legit, so I signed up, too. Please tell me I didn't just switch my cell phone service.

Funny you should say that. Now when I dial the operator in Bangladesh always comes on to request my SS#!:eek2:

I rec'd my copy today. It goes into the trash, same day. Typical waste of taxpayer money by our government.

Wow, you guys are quick to trash it - at least consider wrapping a gift with it so it wasn't a complete waste of a tree :shrug:

We will hang it in the guest room - the walls in there are bare and we get an occasional traveller so it's just something to create ideas. Cheaper than buying a wall map!

Wow, you guys are quick to trash it - at least consider wrapping a gift with it so it wasn't a complete waste of a tree :shrug:

We will hang it in the guest room - the walls in there are bare and we get an occasional traveller so it's just something to create ideas. Cheaper than buying a wall map!

+1

It was a little less detailed than I expected, but it does a decent job at highlighting state parks in a large poster format....good for promoting tourism at least for the guy in Europe eyeing the US roads and parks.

RB

It isn't intended to be a highway map. It's more a visual representation of where the scenic byways, an interesting little perk for people who just love maps for the sake of maps. I have hundreds of maps and, like this one, I wouldn't take most of them on a road trip.

Didn't say it was a book, just that I could write a book with all they left out.

Didn't say it was a book, just that I could write a book with all they left out.

Same difference. ;-)

This book ain't too bad....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Motorcycle-Tours/dp/1566914485"]Great American Motorcycle Tours[/ame] (Great American Motorcycle Tours)

RB

I received my copy in the mail this week as well... I not too impressed but its not what I was expecting...

Here it is...

DSC0815-L.jpg

DSC0817-2-L.jpg

DSC0818-L.jpg

Notice not a single highlighted route in Texas... Good our secret is safe, right?

DSC0818-2-XL.jpg

For promoting tourism it achieves it's objectives. I was too surprised there wasn't any Texas highlights or hot-spots. Politically motivated? Then again, most American's don't really know about Big Bend and those that do consider it too far away from other more desired locations. With the exception of the springtime, BB is really to be avoided during the summer driving season, especially with the cool temperatures the mountains of the western United Stated bring to the traveling soul.

Caricature-American-tourists.jpg

...I don't think these folks tour on a motorcycle. :rofl:

RB

After I received my copy of this government map, I did what I should have done earlier and bought the Butler Texas Hill Country Map. Should be here any day now.

After I received my copy of this government map, I did what I should have done earlier and bought the Butler Texas Hill Country Map. Should be here any day now.

Chief Manfred....you have have to $pay$ to play for that level of detail. :lol2:

RB

Chief Manfred....you have have to $pay$ to play for that level of detail. :lol2:

RB

Well, there may not be any thing as free lunch, Google Maps provides a lot of detail for free :-) But they don't test the roads with motorcycles like Butler does. :rider:

RB

I didn't spend much money at the International Motorcycle Show this year, but the last booth I ended up at was Butler's.
I will admit that as soon as he opened up the Texas Hill Country Map, I was sold.
I mean... Sold to the point that I had to ask him to stop doing the sells pitch so he could take my money sold!

California map looked good too... but I can never seem to get as far as the Rocky Mountains. :doh:
East Coast... Yes!
West Coast.... Still a Sigh!

Google Maps.... After you know where you want to go I guess... unless you know something I don't.
Someone else posted here before but MotorcycleRoads.com looks good too.
I did order a America's Byways Map due to this thread (Thanks Red). Still waiting for it to come in.

Back