• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Waterproof Point N Shoot

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
JDawg and I are going on a cruise in February to the Caribbean. We will be taking the D90 for most of our shots. But we want to have a waterproof alternative for Dunn's River Falls and other adventures where the D90 can't and will not go.

So far I've checked out the dpreviews site and other review sites like CNet etc. It appears that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 gets the highest ratings. And it seems to have a lot of good features.

Anyone on here have one of these or have any experience with waterproof pns cameras? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Darrell

I have an Olympus that I bought just for that purpose. Water and shock proof. Great camera with good battery life. Picture quality isn't too bad but not great.

You might run a search on Dive Equipment to get an idea. That's where we would get our cameras years ago when I was doing Dive/Rescue.

My wife and I bought a Fuji XP camera a few years ago after we met a lady floating the Frio river with it around her neck. We did a little research, seemed like a pretty good camera, so we bought it. We have enjoyed it, taking underwater pictures with the kids at Schlitterbahn and taking underwater pictures in Cozumel. If you want I could send you a couple of pictures that were taken underwater just so you could see what the quality looks like.

How about one of these? :lol2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

Attachments

• glock.jpeg
    glock.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 184
Please forgive my young friend...I'm sure he really meant this
niILWUO0Yxz0YpBbvncJRGINCl3W9TLXtMWhCve7wrTi7cLrRGIm-jEmMZFgQqXtSEmiR_Uq0tecaVO-HqcDUWQkAHZpCXBWMKFF-WfiSCXzC3zVGaoZdqESHTJ2zkuV8PAowLT8sgZ18kfpxaifxK0uFhSexMjMIbwP7gRNStHP

I use the Olympus Stylus Tough. They say you have to tweak the settings before it'll take great pictures. Obviously, I haven't done that yet. They're good but nothing anywhere near the quality that Coolhand and a number of others come up with. I just got my wife a Kodak Easyshare Sport. This one comes off the rack at Wallyworld for $66. I've read good things about it. She needed something for kayak trips.

These cameras are kinda like my sunglasses...if I lose them I'll cuss and move on...no great loss.

I also have the Olympus, it lives in my riding jacket pocket with a lanyard around my neck. Have got some great riding in the rain pictures with it.
I have also droped it enough that a lesser camera would not have survived.
It's a great rugged use camera but it is not a art camera, if your willing to stick with snapshot quality it will surve you fine.

Swann makes a action sports camera that is waterproof and records in 1080p HD with still photos able to be taken in 8, 5, and 3mp.

My wife has the original Olympus tough model (Stylus 700?) and it is very durable. I've never been happy with it's image quality though. Does okay in daylight, but anything less and it gets iffy.
Also don't like that it uses a XD card instead of the more readily available SD cards.

Nikon recently announced the AW100 to answer the Olympus line.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818679-REG/Nikon_26290_Coolpix_AW100_Waterproof_Digital.html
Waterproof to 33ft vs the 3ft on my wife's Olympus. No clue what the newer Olympuses (olympi?) are rated at.

There's always a nice waterproof housing for the D90 if you really want quality images.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547694-REG/DiCAPac_WPS10_WP_S10_Waterproof_Case.html

Last edited:
Back