• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1972 Yamaha DT125

Pedro

Reaction score
Check out what wandered into my garage today. A friend picked it up cheap and wants to turn it into a good runner for him and his boy to learn on. I'm going to help him get it put together.

The good news is that with a little fresh fuel in the tank, it fired up on the second kick. Won't idle, and definitely needs lots of love, but seems to be mostly complete. Should be a lot of fun, and I'll document the progress here.

Of course, I know nothing about this particular model, so if anyone has any tips for me, I could use them. ;)

2u5arso.jpg

23w319h.jpg

rbjddx.jpg

2vtpes4.jpg

That was my first bike turned MXer with a down pipe. I told a friend about having two plugs in the head and he did not believe me. Have fun. Brings back some memory s. :flip:

I thought the AT-2 had an electric start, didn't it? This one appears to be kick-start only, although I could be missing something. I don't really know much about this thing, so I'm just going off what I was told, especially since the VIN sticker on the headstock is so sun-faded as to be illegible.

What should I look for to know for sure what it is? I'm planning to start cleanup on it this week.

I will be on the lookout for some parts (like an air cleaner housing) really soon.

Looks as if your air box is there. A AT-2 is a electric start but it dont have a normal starter It starts off a generator. It dont matter that much its a bad design and dont work very well anyway. I always kick mine it starts better. Its a shame you live so far I think I got everything you need to make it complete minus blinkers,tail light and headlight bulb. If it looks like this under the stator cover its a AT-3
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-at2-19721973_model8415/partslist/B-06.html

There's definitely no airbox- the carb is completely open to the atmosphere. I'll take more detailed pics of it this week when I start attacking it. Just have to finish this deck up first...

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain from time to time, since it seems that you are something of a subject mattter expert. ;)

Under the gas tank that trapazoid cover with the single screw in the middle is the air box. Your missing the boot

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I just checked it out, and you're absolutely right. I just need the rubber boot (and a new filter, I'm sure) to set that up.

Do you have any pics of what the switchgear is supposed to look like on this and how it's supposed to be wired? The thing has no kill switch or ignition of any kind. It's kick-start only, and it dies because it won't idle yet, but I should definitely have some sort of a kill switch before I get the carb sorted out. I'd hate to get it idling and then not be able to turn it off. :rofl:

I had that bike new in 72, the 175 jug will bolt right up on it, we used the second plug hole for a compression release like the flat trackers of the day used.

Back