• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gatsby Grouper

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Drew
I go to Honduras and Scuba Dive at least once a year. I took a one on one class with Tim Blanton the resident Photo Pro, where he will take your camera and teach you how to use it. As you know, the color spectrum is absorbed starting with reds so with a point and shoot (Canon G10) and you have basically two options. Program Mode with Manual White Balance reset every 5 to 10 feet of depth change or Manual with external strobes. I carry a WB card and have gotten to where I prefer Program and Natural Light. Here is a picture I took of a Gatsby Grouper - called Coral Trout in other parts of the world. If you have ever tried to photograph fish you understand that the fish tails are the most common shot. I tried to get this one as he moved into my frame.

Canon G-10 ISO 100 30.5 MM -.7EV f/4.5 1/80 - NO FLASH, Manual WB

898968580_5fH4n-L.jpg

For no flash that's a GREAT shot. That color spectrum really disappears quickly starting almost immediately. I can't count the number of tail shots I have. (Actually, so many I just quit taking the camera)

I suppose I might try to play with a point or two of contrast, and use a spot removal tool to eliminate the little floating artifacts in the dark area above/left of his head. And brighten the purple eye a bit? Little things that might bring him out a tad bit more....

I'd also be interested to see some of your others. I highly doubt this is the only one you took. ;-)

Thanks
Still trying to learn the PhotoShop stuff. Tim Blanton says to take more time and less pictures so you can spend less time with the computer.
Will try those ideas. It has taken me almost 500 dives to finally get a good (relatively) broadside of a 4 Eyed Angel Fish. I will post it later.

I am making another post now of my "favorite" subjects...sponges...I can keep up with them. :lol2:

Your instructor is absolutely correct - get it right taking the shot and there's no post processing required, ie: none to little computer time required.

I'm betting you are a Coco View customer.

Yep, this will be my 8th trip coming up next May.

Never tried any of the other resorts. After this one and one more I get a free trip and then the boss (a non diver) wants to me to try a "real" resort. She doesn't like the amenities for non divers at CocoView.

Yep, this will be my 8th trip coming up next May.

Never tried any of the other resorts. After this one and one more I get a free trip and then the boss (a non diver) wants to me to try a "real" resort. She doesn't like the amenities for non divers at CocoView.

I cheated a bit since I knew Tim Blanton was photog-in-residence at CoCo View :giveup: :lol2:

I will offer that many non-diving companions of divers at Anthony's Key enjoy the Roatan Institute for Marilne Sciences and its dolphin programs. There, you can be "trainer for a day" and spend the whole day assigned to a dolphin, feeding, training, swimming, etc. The program isn't limited to divers at the Key, anyone from around the island, including from other resorts, can come over and participate.

This year I did a two-in-one trip, Utila and Roatan. If you've never been to funky Utila before, don't wait. You tie the two together with a cheap Cessna flight between the two islands. And, you'll love the jungle runway on Utila :eek2:

Back