• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Minolta X-700

Reaction score
First Name
Lilia
So we have this camera, couple decent lenses, bunch of filters, etc. Dug it out of the attic and took a quick inventory. Now, what do we do with it?

I'm not familiar enough with the settings to use it and I tend to want to set the environment selection and just push the button. Checked on fleabay and it's going for under $100. :doh: J bought the whole kit and kaboodle when it was brand new.

Suggestions? I haven't yet taken it to Houston Camera Exchange for their opinion, thought I'd ask the collective first. :trust:

Sort of depends on what YOU want to do with it....

Do you still have an interest in shooting film? If not now, later? If not later, then either 1) move it or 2) keep it for nostalgia.

A lot would depend on condition and the lens set Jay has to go with it. But generally, a good condition film body with a decent lens or two in excellent condition will bring in the $100-$150 range. There's just not a market for film bodies except for those interested in shooting film. And of those, you'll be looking for someone interested in shooting the Minolta line or that specific camera probably because "...they had one back when".

ANY camera exchange place would also have to turn a profit on it as well. They'd probably do some tests to see if the meter works throughout the range and then put a price tag of $100-$150 on it and see what happens. I know pristine Nikon FE body's are in the $100 ballpark locally and with a 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8 lens in the $125-150 RETAIL asking price. So don't expect anything much going that route.

The attic part might be interesting as this was a cloth shutter and who knows what the heat has done to the fabric.

KR has a review of this specific model here...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/minolta/700.htm

Edit:
There's an X700 'kit' for $75 on CL in Austin

And a few others on Austin's CL

x700_5052.jpg

Last edited:
I would have it looked at. Might be a good camera for Harley to learn about shooting photos. Costco has the best price on film and film developing in town.

But I agree, the cloth shutter is going to be the big test.

The X-700 was my first SLR and it served me well. The metering was very accurate and with a motor-drive it made for an excellent camera. I wore out the pressure plate from all the rolls I ran through it. KEH lists them for $40-$50 in excellent condition. The shutter might be ok. Hopefully it wasn't put away cocked. You may want to check the battery compartment to make sure the batteries haven't leaked. The other big issue is the foam light seal around the mirror and back which typically degrades and causes light leaks.

Still have mine - probably my favorite film camera. Bought in 1984 when my second son was born. That son wanted to use it for a photography class at UTA a few years ago but it locked up on him. We had it and a SRT-101 repaired by a local guy who specializes in that - I think he replaced a capacitor and cleaned it up a bit.

To get thru the course, ed29 loaned my son his Olympus OM-1 which my son loved. Ed later gave it to him when he sold his house (that Ed is a good guy :thumb: )

I remember that Minolta.

I still have a '59 Ricoflex double lens reflex, a '72 Petri SLR, an 80ish Yashica and a '92 Nikon - all with extra lenses. Can't sell them for chicken feed, can't bear to give or throw them away. So, they make nice conversation pieces.

Wish I still had my '68 Agfa 35mm rangefinder camera.

... Dug it out of the attic...
ouch. good luck

That's what I was afraid of. Harley really has no interest in film. He's pretty "instant gratification" about now.

I guess I might take it somewhere and have it checked out. I don't know the first thing about SLRs but it might be fun to play with one day when I've got nothing better to do. :rofl:

Back