PDA

View Full Version : Bike Comparisons - BMW, Honda, Harley

tsp
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
For those of you interested I did a comparison between a Honda ST1300ABS and a BMW R1200RT and my bother compares a Harley Davidson and a BMW K1200LT in our blog. Hard to find the time to review all of our gear but we started to do a few product reviews.

I switched from Honda to BMW and he went from BMW to Harley but we like most bikes. :)

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

PS: Just added an intro in the Introduction section. Labeled "Intro from South TX Rider".

M38A1
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Welcome to TWT.

Now - go over to the Introductions section and do a proper one. :deal:

Exevious
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Harley... ROFL... :rofl:

YoDoc
02-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Harley... ROFL... :rofl:

Harley... so awful that they own the cruiser market.

Exevious
02-21-2012, 02:35 AM
Harley... so awful that they own the cruiser market.

Meh... I would would say the weekend warrior market.... if Sunday's 8 or 12 times a year count. Good thing the stores are filled with licensed clothing and merchandise.

YoDoc
02-21-2012, 02:38 AM
They sell more cruisers than anyone else.

Exevious
02-21-2012, 02:58 AM
They sell more cruisers than anyone else.

They may... but are they competitive.. is Harley winning races?

Besides... there are many better options. Look at what can happen with Yamaha weekend show bikes.... low maint, comfort, trophy winners, and dependable.

If you wanna bar hop... there are more comfortable, cost effective options.

I'm a little bitter... having spent 15 years showing up and winning show trophies with Yamaha, and having to hear the BS.

The whole "wow man... that is really cool. What model is that??"
ME: "it the Yamaha XXX"
ww "Oh... ya.... umm.. ok... ya... I'm gunna go over there now"

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/garageSept2011033.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/garageSept2011009.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/garageSept2011008.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/Garage/Garage2007002.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/Garage/Garage2007011.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/Garage/Garage2007008.jpg

YoDoc
02-21-2012, 03:05 AM
They may... but are they competitive.. is Harley winning races?

Besides... there are many better options. Look at what can happen with Yamaha weekend show bikes.... low maint, comfort, trophy winners, and dependable.

If you wanna bar hop... there are more comfortable, cost effective options.

I'm a little bitter... having spent 15 years showing up and winning show trophies with Yamaha, and having to hear the BS.

The whole "wow man... that is really cool. What model is that??"
ME: "it the Yamaha XXX"
ww "Oh... ya.... umm.. ok... ya... I'm gunna go over there now"

I mean, everyone has their favorites, but harleys are quality bikes. Fuel injection, Brembo brakes, cartridge forks...

They aren't race bikes, no, but would you ask if Cadillac was winning races?

There are lots of less expensive bikes around, many of nearly as good or even better quality. Apparently, though, HD does the thing so well, that other cruisers look more like Harleys every year.

Exevious
02-21-2012, 03:20 AM
I mean, everyone has their favorites, but harleys are quality bikes. Fuel injection, Brembo brakes, cartridge forks...

They aren't race bikes, no, but would you ask if Cadillac was winning races?

There are lots of less expensive bikes around, many of nearly as good or even better quality. Apparently, though, HD does the thing so well, that other cruisers look more like Harleys every year.

Cadillac is competitive with the CTS-V.

What harley does is fatten thier board of directors wallets, and select shareholders wallets by selling American Patriotism. The company gives nothing back beyond owning stock.

Its almost sickening how our public falls for this. I mean they even got thier start by buying military surplus. So the start was raking a huge profit margin off of govt losses. Nothing has ever gone back to American, not even a significant amount of job creation.

I am a Vet, a public servant, a Patriot Guard. I Honor our Military with every fiber of my being.

But the facts are harley is a crock. its not even that great of a bike... although I will say that the quality has improved in recent years. It still not a great bike. and barely good when judging cost.

Combine that with the crazy propoganda rampant in the motorcycle world... when the only thing that should matter is "being out there on two wheels, and your my brother"

I have to say the I DO NOT SUPPORT OR LIKE HARLEY.

YoDoc
02-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Combine that with the crazy propoganda rampant in the motorcycle world... when the only thing that should matter is "being out there on two wheels, and your my brother"

I am 1) confused about harley getting their start by selling military surplus? I thought HD started up in 1903?

2) dismayed by this ending. It shouldn't matter what you ride, unless it's a harley. **** those guys.

3)also a vet. 2/505 PIR, 82nd ABN.

Exevious
02-21-2012, 03:27 AM
But I digress...

I am getting way off topic. Did not mean to create a huge anti HD debate.

Please let the topic continue!

But feel free to start a new thread or PM me. :mrgreen:

YoDoc
02-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Aye!

Exevious
02-21-2012, 03:43 AM
I am 1) confused about harley getting their start by selling military surplus? I thought HD started up in 1903?

2) dismayed by this ending. It shouldn't matter what you ride, unless it's a harley. **** those guys.

3)also a vet. 2/505 PIR, 82nd ABN.

Ya... harley did not start making money until after the war, selling to the returning Vets. I am surprised that you have not heard any BS for showing up on a 'metric' machine. I am just a lowly Navy supply corps guy. I was Aircrew though!!!

PS: I tried to send this PM... but for some reason mine are not working??

collin228
02-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Cadillac is competitive with the CTS-V.

What harley does is fatten thier board of directors wallets, and select shareholders wallets by selling American Patriotism. The company gives nothing back beyond owning stock.

Its almost sickening how our public falls for this. I mean they even got thier start by buying military surplus. So the start was raking a huge profit margin off of govt losses. Nothing has ever gone back to American, not even a significant amount of job creation.

I am a Vet, a public servant, a Patriot Guard. I Honor our Military with every fiber of my being.

But the facts are harley is a crock. its not even that great of a bike... although I will say that the quality has improved in recent years. It still not a great bike. and barely good when judging cost.

Why post all of this on his thread about bike comparisons? I don't understand the knee jerk reaction when someone has Harley in their post. If you don't like the bikes, fine, but your reaction is worse than when Harley riders scoff at other bikes. Try and practice what you preach. Bikes are all essentially all the same and we all have a bond. No reason to trash other peoples bikes. I LOVE my friends Harley and if he would sell it at an affordable amount, I would ride that baby all day.

Collin

Desert Skies
02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
They are all motorcycles. Just pick the one that suits you then put on the sMiles. :rider:

Exevious
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
My bad... Late night, beers, getting carried away... lol

philipbarrett
02-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Well now we've beaten the poor OP off with a big stick I went over to his blog. Which is very nice. And he rides a BMW. Long distance. Just saying.

M38A1
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Well now we've beaten the poor OP off with a big stick I went over to his blog. Which is very nice. And he rides a BMW. Long distance. Just saying.

+1

There's a lot of really good stuff on his blog. I mean REALLY good stuff.

fortbriscoe
02-21-2012, 02:38 PM
It's a great blog. (Faint praise from a Harley TWTer)

ben1364
03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Aren't you glad that we have choices?
Just out of curiosity. What brand motorcycle(s) do you like, ...and why?Cadillac is competitive with the CTS-V.

ben1364
03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
But I digress...

I am getting way off topic. Did not mean to create a huge anti HD debate.

Please let the topic continue!

But feel free to start a new thread or PM me. :mrgreen:

Did not mean to create a huge anti HD debate. Really? :rofl:

tsp
03-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Philip, Scott, and Dave - thanks for the compliments on our blog. We still have a number of reviews that we want to add to it. Also, I'll have to document my next long ride because I don't write about my bike tours. I just too busy riding and enjoying. :)

I like all bikes. If I could I would have many bikes but at the present time I have only one. When I had 3 my wife kept asking me why I needed so many bikes. One is easier (but not as much fun). I didn't want my post to turn into any bashing session. I respect them all. It's the sport that I promote.

Once again, thanks!
tsp
R1200RT
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

SilverBullet
03-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Aren't you glad that we have choices?
Just out of curiosity. What brand motorcycle(s) do you like, ...and why?

He already answered that with his photos (very nice looking bike BTW). He likes Yamaha cruisers that copy Harley Davidson style and design. Apparantly he wins plenty of races with it also. hahaha

All bikes are equal, personal preference and your wallet will decide which one(s) you buy and ride. Don't be a hater of any brand, we get enough of that from the cagers.

_

rapz
03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Just for the record, my brother rides the BMW (and Honda ST) and I ride the '08 Harley Ultra Classic. I also have a '79 RT, and have had 75/6 RT, '04 RT, '05 LT, and '05 Ultra Classic Harley. Riding is great no matter what two wheels you prefer.

Reaper Pete
09-28-2012, 09:22 PM
dismayed by this ending. It shouldn't matter what you ride, unless it's a harley. **** those guys

Wow, I'm not feeling the love here... Just saying it should be, "BMW, Harley, then Honda... " :eek2: I as well concur it shouldn't matter what you ride... I'm also dismayed that being one of THOSE GUYS, (**** those guys) that people need to point out the fact that I should buy a BMW or Honda... They're kinda good... They do everything fairly well... You know, these types of glowing endorsements surround these fairly decent bikes... They're not fast either... Just a nominally good time... Just saying I've owned both in the past and moved on to Harley Davidson... The best way to convert petrol to noise without the side effect of horsepower...:lol2: