• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WR250R Thread

Reaction score
Tourmeister asked me about the setup on my WR250R. So I thought I would start a WR250R thread in case any folks here would like to share info. Guess I will start this off by showing the mods I have done to my WRR.

Nice%20spot.jpg

What I have on the above bike is:

- Seat Concepts seat - lower by 1 inch
- IMS 4.7 gal fuel tank
- Wolf MAn luggage racks.
- 30 liter water proof duffle bags to strap to side racks.
- Wolf Man Explorer Lite tank bag
- Stiffer spring on rear shock - to carry the weight
- Home made tail rack from $10 cutting board
- Old stock tail case from 2008 KLR650 bolted to tail rack.
- Lynx Fairing and wind shield with HID head lights
- Power outlet
- Hard wire power for GPS
- Grip heaters

Most of these mods are covered in great detail in the WR250R forum as well as in the monster thread on ADVrider. But if there are folks here that own a WR250R and want info on some of these mods I will be happy to try and help. Plus, if you have done something cool to your bike I would love to see it.

Here is a shot of the bike with the seat, tail case, white tail rack, IMS 4.7 gal tank and side luggage racks. You get a cleaner look in this pic.

luggage1.jpg

Here is a better view of the Lynx Fairing made by Britania Composites. Not cheap, but the wind protection is well worth it if you have to do much hiway. I got the HID headlights to lower power usage. I have heated grips on the bike now and intend to get a heated vest.

Tink.jpg

I have Acerbis hand guards on there. The wind protection is not too good from those. When cooler weather hit I was looking for better wind protection. I happened to have the addon wind protectors for the D-Flex hand guards on my KLR. So I just used one small bolt and added these to the top of Acerbis hand guards on my WRR.

This gives great wind protection. These cup all the way back over my fingers now. You can get the add on wind protectors seperately for the D Flex hand guards. Less than $20 if I remenber correctly.

wind_protect_3.jpg

Wind_protect_1.jpg

Oh yea, I put a throttle lock on for cruising down the hiway. This thing is great. Really lets you rest your hand.

WR_throttle_lock.jpg

Nice setup!

Mine is similar, but different. I got the Safari since IMS was not yet making tanks when I was setting up the WR.

Tom at AMS and I worked out the details for my tail rack. It was the prototype for the units he offers though his shop and links over on the WR forum.

cuttingrack.jpg

That is rack number one being milled on Tom's CNC machine.

installingrack.jpg

Initial fitting to the bike.

IMG_0587.jpg

Commuter mode with the Givi E-45 mounted.

I have since added Dirtbagz soft side bags but find them lacking in water and dust collection properties. Picked up some Ortlieb roll top dry panniers and am happy that the DB brackets do a great job of keeping them off the exhaust and away from the tire.

I have heated grips as well as a cord for heated gear. Now that I added heated gloves to my jacket liner I may delete the grip heaters and use that circuit for some auxiliary lights.

My bike is stock airbox, exhaust, and computer. The only perf mod I have done is add five teeth to the rear sprocket.

DSC03447.jpg

Works out well and sacrificed nothing on top speed. Yamaha has the stock gearing way too tall on these bikes.

I have played with windshield setups and a front rack. Those are all off the bike for now.

I have the Tusk handguards and they have been crash tested. The spoilers are great in cold weather as you say. I intended to take them off in summer, but just leave them on. Paint thinner will take the printing right off if you want plain spoilers by the way.

Thanks for the tip on using paint thinner. I will do that.

My engine is stock as well. I have a 49 tooth sprocket on the rear. I have a both a 13 and 14 tooth sprocket for the front.

I sure like that aluminum tail rack. But did not want to fork out the money at the time.

The only perf mod I have done is add five teeth to the rear sprocket. Works out well and sacrificed nothing on top speed. Yamaha has the stock gearing way too tall on these bikes.

How could going up 5 teeth on the rear not affect top speed? Or do you mean the top speed you ride at? Regardless it will raise your rpms at any speed. Usually well worth it though for added umph and pull but you'll definitely use more gas and lose some top end in the process.

_

With stock gearing sixth gear was useless below 70MPH actual on the GPS. The bike topped out at 87MPH in my choice of 4rth, 5th, or 6th gear. It simply could not overcome wind resistance beyond that speed.

Geared down 5 teeth 6th gear can now be used from 55MPH on up and the 87 MPH top speed is still there in 6th alone.

Gas mileage has not suffered appreciably by the gearing change. Too tall gearing leads to wider throttle openings, so correcting the tall gearing does not make a huge hit. Riding style impacts my mileage more than anything. Slow cruising the the Colorado mountains netted over 70 MPG, while fast sweepers on twisty roads can knock it down to 50ish plus or minus a few.

Wow didn't realize the WRR had that kind of top speed so wasn't thinking you hit max speed limitation with wind resistance. Now makes sense what you said on gearing. That's some good mpg too. What mpg would you get cruising a relatively flat road at 70mph?

_

Something I got for Christmas but have not added yet to my WRR.
A low cost small module that causes your brake light to flash for a few seconds when you hit the brake.

http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/pw-13001.htm

Will see how this works out.

I have a flashing brake light on my KLR. I have had several people tell me that it really gets their attention. Even when someone is following me on a dirt road in a group ride, it really gets ones attention and lets folks know you are slowing. This can be important in a group ride when so much attention needs to be on the road itself. People can loose focus on what the guy in front of them is doing.

This could probably be added to any type moto.

I notice that many of the WRR and WRX folks replace their rear brake light/tail light with an after market product. I saw one these on a friends WRR and it is not as bright as the stock WRR tail light. Not good in my opinion. The WRR comes with a stock LED brake/tail light that is pretty darn good. I think using the stock brake light with the falsher module may be a safer solution. There is a mod that one can do using the stock tail light and liscense plate assembly to trim it back and clean up the "whale tail" look of the stock assembly. I think I will be going this route.

Flat roads, behaving and keeping 70 or so nets about 60 MPG. With the Safari that is a good 180 miles before pulling off for gas. I have pushed beyond 200 once, but was too close on gas for comfort.

+1 on the stock WR tail/brake light. I nabbed one off the WR forum as an aux brake light on the Versys. Need to scrounge one more to add to the KLR. Anybody that put the aftermarket stuff have one stuffed in a box??? :deal:

+ on what ed29 said on fuel milage. On flat roads doing 65-70 I get right at 60 mpg consistantly. When loaded down with camping gear it is less than that doing hiway speeds. But still seems to get about 60 mpg on dirt raods at slower speeds even when loaded down. With the 4.7 gallons in the IMS tank I am looking for gas at about 200 miles to be safe. I don't have many checks on fuel milage when loaded down. So I can't be real accurate.

Did someone say WR 250 R thread?

I can play.

On the Western TAT

IMG0077-M.jpg

Top view

IMG0132-M.jpg

Don't let me down now!

IMG0179-M.jpg

Scotts Damper , heated grips, spot, garmin 376c on TT mount, Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag and Tank Panniers, Ortlieb large Duffle, and Andy Strapz Panniers on Wolfman Rack.

IMG0233-M.jpg

The engine is stock. Rear shock re valved and heavy spring, 14x 49 gearing, 3.6 gallon Safari Tank, Flatland Skid Plate, MT21 front/D606 rear tire

Awesome Package!

IMG0286-M.jpg

In day ride mode

P5020281-M.jpg

:eat::rider::eat::rider::yawn:

Would you believe that top view picture came from poor parking ?
Tried to park and go help a guy on a 1200 gs. Get off ,turn around and bam!

The seat is a Sargent. It gets the Bigdon Butt Stamp of Approval!:eek2:

Did the 14 - 49 gearing do ok in the high mountain passes?? I like that gearing for around heere in Texas. But been wondering if I need to switch to 13 - 49 in the Rocky Mountains highs.

I like your tire selection.

Did the 14 - 49 gearing do ok in the high mountain passes?? I like that gearing for around heere in Texas. But been wondering if I need to switch to 13 - 49 in the Rocky Mountains highs.

I like your tire selection.

I ran 13x49 on the trail then switched to the 14 on the way home. I had been watching my chain slider real close. It wore through on the way home so I stopped and changed to the 14 front. I was also running the stock shock and spring. With the upgrade spring /shock and the 14 t front I don't thnkl I'll have anymore slider trouble.
When this set of chain and sprockets wear out I'm going to go with 14 x53. I think that will be just right for me.

The Mt21/ D 606 is my favorite combo. I have run them with good results on all my dual sport bikes.

If the IMS Tank was available when I bought my Safari I would have bought the bigger one. I have not had any range issues yet but the only time you can have to much gas, is when you are on fire!:trust:

Like Ed said at trail and gravel road speed the bikes will get close to 70 mpg. Running the Interstate for hours on end with the throttle pinned maybe 45 mpg.

Yeah, I picked up a 3" deck screw in my GS rear tire on the last day of my desert trip last week. :doh: Glad the tire is 90% used up.

The bike topped out at 87MPH in my choice of 4rth, 5th, or 6th gear. It simply could not overcome wind resistance beyond that speed.

I was pretty impressed following you down River Road. That little bike rocks.:thumb:

Thanks for the sprocket info! That is what I had in mind doing. Guess I better keep a close eye on the my chain slider. I had seen that can be an issue.

Great idea on the thread bsheet2. I love my WR250R. It's a 2008 I bought new in May of last year. I've done a few mods. Lowered it with a Yamalink. Turbo City Borrego rack on back. I use a Giant Loop Coyote for longer rides. I just got a IMS 3 gallon tank that will be going on soon. D Flex handgaurds have saved my fingers and levers a couple of times. Best thing I did was add a skid plate. It has saved me a few times.

bigdon55, +1 on the MT21/606 combo. Working great for me on and off road.

EasTex450-030-L.jpg

Back