• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brake pads EBCs HH or!?

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting new pads before I go on vacation in June seeing I'm already at 12.5k miles and will be probably 15k by then soooooo lol. Anybody happen to have any new ones laying around that can measure the thickness? The manual only states the "A" max wear mark and thats it. Also EBC HHs I assume or will that lock the rear too fast? Thanks! :)

I've never found that I could lock up the bandit's rear unless applying heavy pressure. I like the HH also. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm , I may need to study them a bit more.

HH brake pads have better bite and feel as compare to organic or kelvar pads but at the expense of higher wear on the disc. I got a pair of Brembo sinter front pads waiting to be fix onto my bike .

Ach, my worry is locking up the rear with the HHs since they are a good bit better bite then the stockers. Guess we'll see what others think that actually have them! :) Super, how much wear we talking!? Did you find the Brembos somewhere special? Don't recall running across Brembos during my search.

I've been running HH's on the front and rear for about the last 30+ thousand miles. Never had a problem yet with locking anything up. But, that's me. Someone else may be more heavy footed than I.

Oh okay didn't know you already had them on! Just curious how long did your stockers last? And I assume the HHs are better in general then the stockers?

If I remember right, it was in the neighborhood of 25,000 miles when I changed out the Fronts to EBC HHs and 34,000 before changing the rears.
I just put da Bandit on the lift and took the exhaust off to check the rear pads and saw the outter one was not seating straight. So Took the whole capilar off and found a wear notch in the pin was not letting the pad slide properly for even contact with the disk. I had just changed the pads about 2 thousand miles ago and didn't like the way the rear was feeling. So, just ordered a new pin and pads. Checked the fronts while at it and they were changed about 5000 or so miles ago. I'd have to go dig in my records to find out exactily when.

Actually most of the OEM brake pads fitted to new bikes are also HH type pads. Different brands of pads have different materials added so u need to try which one suit your riding styles. I got my Brembo sinter pads from www.Redracingparts.com with free shipping . Cheaper than EBC HH pads .

Never had a problem locking up the rear with HH pads. I will confess though that I don't use the rear brake much.

Ach no worries I don't need exact mileage was just curious. I looked at mine at about now 12.5k miles and using the thickness of the wear warning bump I have about 5 times the thickness up front and about 4 times in the rear. I'm assuming I have about 60-70% life left EASY. I do downshift a lot and drag the rear alittle in turns at times but not heavy either so it looks like EBC HHs or the Brembo's after superspeed gets back to us with a quick review! :)

I found it. I changed my front pads at 10,250 and 40200. The rear pads at 37355 and 53744. The rears were wearing crooked due to hanging up on wear notches on the guide pin. I though I had smoothed it out enough to correct it but on inspecting it yesterday after just 1000 miles on them. I found them still not seating right. So, ordered a new set of EBC HH pads , guide pin and rubber protector for it. Should of changed them out when changing the rear pads the first time, but, you know how that goes. ;-)

10,250 huh!? Hmmm. Sounds like the guide pin is a bad design? Is it suppose to be changed when changing the rear pads?

Well, I was at over 30 thousand miles on the rear and that's the ones that gave me a problem. I would say, if they have any kind of wear problems , get a new one. "but that's over 25 bucks for that little pin. " The total order for the pads, pin and rubber protection plus shipping was just a touch over 100 bucks from Bike Bandit.

Andy,
I'll be replacing my brake lines (with Galfer SS braided) and pads (EBC HH's) sometime this spring. What should I look for when evaluating the pins?

Just make sure there aren't any nicks or grooves on them. Also check the front where they seat really close also. I'm going to use Lubriplate assembly grease on the pins this time. Not as thick as regular grease. Kinda hard to play with the rear capilar assy with the exhaust can in place so I just take it off now. That's the only thing I can see that was letting them engauge crooked. I'll pay way more attention to them when I put them together this time to make sure all engauges correctly while I have it on the lift. This is the first time I every had a problem like this on my bikes.

I use the below stuff was told its great and no complaints yet on the car(s) so will try it on the bike!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Brake-Lubricant-tube-BK-4/dp/B000CIHTPE"]http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Brake-Lubricant-tube-BK-4/dp/B000CIHTPE[/ame]

The stock pads are HH+ but not sintered. I have replaced mine with the Ferodo Sintered HH+ front and the EBC HH+ sintered rear. They seem to wear a bit faster then the stock but bite much better. I also upgraded to the SS lines front and rear. I am now looking for a GSXR front master cycl to complete the package. They are now much better but I feel that the cast M/C is a weak link as well.

Mark

Yea! Just received and email from Bike Bandit that my parts were shipped yesterday. I just ordered them Monday, not bad. I did call the dealer in Scott, La. that is 35 miles from me and they had nothing I needed in stock. Sigh! Not even the Iridium sparking plugs. ;-(
Last time I had a dealer order something for me ( DR650 gasket ) it was a month before getting the gasket. Plus a 70 mile round trip from Jennings to Lake Charles to get it. What was sad was, when I got home from ordering the gasket, I ordered the same one on Bike Bandit and it was at my mailbox in 4 days.

So I'm thinking about getting new pads before I go on vacation in June seeing I'm already at 12.5k miles and will be probably 15k by then soooooo lol. Anybody happen to have any new ones laying around that can measure the thickness? The manual only states the "A" max wear mark and thats it. Also EBC HHs I assume or will that lock the rear too fast? Thanks! :)

I use them but I have ABS - I've never locked the rear up :zen:

I use them but I have ABS - I've never locked the rear up :zen:

I absolutely hated the ABS on my '95 and '02 BMW's. It was just too slow of a system. Locking up the rear was really funny. Screech, no brakes, Screech, no brakes, Screech , no brakes. About a half second with each cycle. The fronts didn't screech due to operator not letting it happen but would turn loose for a good second of no brakes if the tire slid just a little. Like over a bump or a few pot holes.
Never had an ABS system since , even though I'm sure they are very much better now. But, I ride both my bikes on gravel/dirt roads a bit (Bandit a little bit and KLR a lot ) and want the rear to slide at times.

Its known fact that the brakes suck on the bandit 1250 and make it worse,,, mine is 1250 abs... All the magazine review, riders here and my experience is brakes suck..

It seems it doesn't matter much, ss lines, new better pads...I got carbone lorraine and it still sucks... bleeding doesn't help... I bled mine and got firmer lever but it got spongy week later... Even with good bleeding and perfect condition... Brakes still don't have the bite and stopping power that are needed.

I don't think its the rotor, pads, ss lines, bleeding.....only option I haven;t tried is the master cyclinder...but at this point its gambling.... suzuki brakes on bandit sucks...

I have old 97 gsxr 6pot brakes on a hawk gt, and it works perfect, almost better then cbr 1000rr monoblocks which I have tried... I also tested ducati monster brembo also..and my gsxr 6pot rivals that and it could be because lighter weight bike...

I don't know why dale holeshot company hasn't address this problem or developed any modification to improve brakes... At this point, I am thinking about selling the bandit and going with FZ1 which has better suspension and brakes but bandit motor is more fun and better IMO,

I learned on a older KLR 250. Yeah the brakes were complete junk! lol

I absolutely hated the ABS on my '95 and '02 BMW's. It was just too slow of a system. Locking up the rear was really funny. Screech, no brakes, Screech, no brakes, Screech , no brakes. About a half second with each cycle. The fronts didn't screech due to operator not letting it happen but would turn loose for a good second of no brakes if the tire slid just a little. Like over a bump or a few pot holes.
Never had an ABS system since , even though I'm sure they are very much better now. But, I ride both my bikes on gravel/dirt roads a bit (Bandit a little bit and KLR a lot ) and want the rear to slide at times.

I'M BUSTED! I shouldn't have said never - they never (funny huh?) have locked up on road - off road they will. It's nothing compared to some and I've only put about 1000 miles on dirt and gravel on Abby but I'll take my ABS any day of the week (I think I got some secret brake testing setup because mine are GREAT)

But I rather throttle the rear around than slide her around. When in doubt - gas it.

and lately I'm lost, dazed, and confused most of the time:lol2:

Its known fact that the brakes suck on the bandit 1250 and make it worse,,, mine is 1250 abs... All the magazine review, riders here and my experience is brakes suck..

It seems it doesn't matter much, ss lines, new better pads...I got carbone lorraine and it still sucks... bleeding doesn't help... I bled mine and got firmer lever but it got spongy week later... Even with good bleeding and perfect condition... Brakes still don't have the bite and stopping power that are needed.

I don't think its the rotor, pads, ss lines, bleeding.....only option I haven;t tried is the master cyclinder...but at this point its gambling.... suzuki brakes on bandit sucks...

I have old 97 gsxr 6pot brakes on a hawk gt, and it works perfect, almost better then cbr 1000rr monoblocks which I have tried... I also tested ducati monster brembo also..and my gsxr 6pot rivals that and it could be because lighter weight bike...

I don't know why dale holeshot company hasn't address this problem or developed any modification to improve brakes... At this point, I am thinking about selling the bandit and going with FZ1 which has better suspension and brakes but bandit motor is more fun and better IMO,

I sold off my 15 months 2009 Yamaha FZ1 to get my new GSX1250FA. It is true that FZ1 has better suspension and brakes but the engine is weak and useless under 6000rpm. U need to constantly rev the engine to get that kick on your face. Engine also has more vibration in any gears than the GSX1250FA.

I also feel the GSX1250FA brakes are spongy as compare to my ex FZ1. I was thinking of changing the brake master cyclinder to Brembo 19RCS to improve the braking but the cost of near $500SGD put me off. My workshop guy told me that even if u changes to SS lines and brembo 19RCS brake cyclinder , it might not make a differences due to the long ABS brake plumbing on GSX1250FA. so i will just ride more and worry less. Cheers!!! :sun::sun:

Back