• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spark plug installs are fun!

Reaction score
So I made myself use my new found free time aka winter to do all kinds of maintenance at a no rush less mistakes pace. Finished the plugs finally yesterday and boy was that fun! "Popping" the spark plug boots loose was FUN! Eventually I did something not recommended but nothing broke but helped a lot. Used a closed 18mm wrench and put it on the plug ends and yanked up. Took some time but I couldn't figure out any other way with my weak fingers! :giveup: Also oddly the original plugs (12.5k miles) were at .026 when stock calls for .028-.030. I thought gaps open up over time!? All of them looked fine but the 1st cylinder was a bit darker almost moist like maybe it started fouling? Who knows. Onward and downward! :zen:

I agree on the FUN part. Have changed them twice so far. I'm thinking they were not gapped in the first place. I had to increase the gap on both sets I put in. But, never thought of checking the out going plug gaps. Will next time.

Since I wasn't rushing I was curious and yeah seems like they went in ungapped!

So I made myself use my new found free time aka winter to do all kinds of maintenance at a no rush less mistakes pace. Finished the plugs finally yesterday and boy was that fun! "Popping" the spark plug boots loose was FUN! Eventually I did something not recommended but nothing broke but helped a lot. Used a closed 18mm wrench and put it on the plug ends and yanked up. Took some time but I couldn't figure out any other way with my weak fingers! :giveup: Also oddly the original plugs (12.5k miles) were at .026 when stock calls for .028-.030. I thought gaps open up over time!? All of them looked fine but the 1st cylinder was a bit darker almost moist like maybe it started fouling? Who knows. Onward and downward! :zen:

Those things that you think are spark plug boots are the ignition coils, and the easiest way I found to remove them without cracking them is to use a piece 3/16" x 1" x 8" piece of aluminum between the electrical connector on the coil and the top of the valve cover, and carefully use it to pop the coils off of the plugs.

Another way to pop the coils off of the spark plugs is to loop a piece of good strong cord, like parachute cord up under electrical connector on the coils, and pull up on each end of the cord.

You should always coat the inside of the rubber seals on the coils with a thin coating of dielectric grease, as this will make them much easier to pop off the next time. Its also good to apply some dielectric grease to the electrical connectors on the coils also, and a some anti sieze compound on the the spark plug threads.

I knew about the coils on the plug boots not that slow! :p And yeah I tried a flat socket against the valve cover and no luck without being a bit worried about breaking it but some other good ideas for next time thanks! :)

My favorite tool for removal of spark plug caps buried down in the Voyagers heads. The caps have an indention in them that allows this to slot in and pull up, just like the factory tool, sorta, kinda.
100_2315.jpg

Made from a weeding tool from the garden center, about a buck fifty or so.

But the tool must be at least 3/4 of an inch across to work.
100_2316.jpg

When I did mine the first time, I just used my fingers to pull the coils off. 3 of them came off without too much trouble, but one was pretty tight, and I had my hands is a weird position. So I strained a bit more and so on until I felt a tendon pop in my hand! Aside from PAIN!!! the only way I can describe it is its like someone plucked a guitar string, except the string was in my forearm!
My hand hurt for weeks after that. Next time I'll use a tool! :giveup:

Sad, but I can't remember how I took the coil/caps off. Don't remember it being to hard though or I would of remembered. Been a couple years since my last plug change. I do have a set coming in though, along with the new rear brake pads and parts. May even change the coolent also, 'spose to do that every 2 years but has not happen yet. Kinda like checking valve clearance, that ain't happen yet either. ;-(

Sad, but I can't remember how I took the coil/caps off. Don't remember it being to hard though or I would of remembered. Been a couple years since my last plug change. I do have a set coming in though, along with the new rear brake pads and parts. May even change the coolent also, 'spose to do that every 2 years but has not happen yet. Kinda like checking valve clearance, that ain't happen yet either. ;-(

Andrus,

I can't believe that you haven't ever checked your valve clearance at least once, or changed your coolant or replaced your spark plugs for two years. :eek2:

Nada! I do change the oil and filter every 3000 miles are at the end of a trip if it exceeds that. But was reading though the manual again checking for fuel strainer maintenance and saw Suzuki's recommendation for changing the Oil Filter is ever 11,000 miles. Keyaww
!!!!!!!!!!! \
I used to be a maintenance freak but that has went down over the years. ;-(. So far, I have not read , or talked to anyone at a dealership where the valves needed adjusting on that motor or even most Suzuki 4 cylinder engines. In the years I've had this bike, I bet it has not seen redline more than a dozen times in 1st gear. Mostly in the 2500 to 4500 rpm range even when I'm in a hurry.
I did get some antifreeze yesterday and will probably change that next time my tank is near empty and I have it on the lift for something or other. ;-)
On the Idirum plugs, I've not seen that much wear when I changed them last time. But, I do have a set coming in for when the urge and conditions hit me. Probably along with the anitfreeze.

Pulled the plugs on my 1250 last weekend. Took a bit of head scratching :eek2: Coming from a 2003 Bandit 1200 with HT leads. The 1250 plug leads was interesting to say the least.

I could swap the plugs out on my old 1200 in around 15 minutes. Took me around 45 minutes on my 1250. Hopefully I can get it under 30 minutes next time :trust:

To all above: thanks for sharing! My plugs and valves will be gone over before late spring.

I was looking in my records for my last plug change. I just know I've changed them again since 14 Jun 2009 at 13,880 miles. Just forgot to write it down. No matter, have a set of new ones waiting on next time I take the gas tank off. Heck, I did 46 mpg this last fill up so it can't be that bad. ;-) This was running between 45 to 65 mph for the afternoon ride.

I did the valve check at 17K in September, all well in spec. Also changed the oil/filter, plugs, and coolant. To add some excitement I did it right before an annual group ride to Arkansas :eek2: :lol2: The plugs can be a bear to do, but it was easier this 2nd time around.

I used a valve check write-up I found on Max-Suzuki, I followed it step by step, helped a bunch. The next major check will go quicker

PAIR removal gives a lot more room. Metrick Metal does a kit that tidies up the top of the motor and gives my fat little fingers a lot more room

Sad is I've been having his block off plates for near 2 years now. They are still on the shelf. One day, I will get to it. Hopefully before I get the Bandit to 100K miles. But, the mileage will come a touch slower now that I have my KLR 650 back and doing most intown and gravel road riding on it.

Back