• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda’s new NC700X

I believe it's built off their platform that also produces scooters. Aprilia's Mana GT (read their website description of the bike, they never tell you it's an adventure bike--because it's not) also has an automatic tranny option, just like their scooter. Some companies are going towards one frame/engine platforms and building different things around them. This is Honda: two wheels for the masses.

I'd rather get a Tiger XC or F650GS at a higher price tag but a genuine adventure bike. This Honda looks good but it's just a commuter/beginner bike just like their NC700V. Disappointing.

Honda missed the target with this one. Giving it a 3.7 gallon under seat tank to make room for the storage compartment smacks of a designer team that has no real world riding experience.

Using one platform for multiple bikes is not new, and not Honda specific. It works when the platform is solid I.E. Connie 14 and Ninja 14, or DL and SV Suzukis. Harley does this, as do BMW and Triumph.

The NC/NT series engine might be solid, and there could be potential for an outstanding series of bikes based on it. Looking over the features the only thing it has that my Versys does not is ABS. Linked brakes would not do for me as I do enough dirt road riding that I want to choose which brake engages and when.

It is interesting, and I'm glad to see Honda moving in this direction inside the US. But I'm with Ed. the gas tank is too small for an adventure bike. People who buy adventure bikes cover some highway miles, and often do so on the road less traveled. I figure this bike would have an absolute range of 175 miles - less with saddlebags and a trashbag full of gear bungeed to the tail. I wouldn't want to be between Santa Fe and Roswell with that limited range.

The name, and the spin on the website, would suggest that this is an adventure version of the NT700V. But I don't know if it's the same frame, or just the motor.

Here's a crazy idea - bring us the TransAlp.

Hmm... that got me looking at the spec sheets a little closer. It seems the two Hondas do not share the same production drive train after all. Bore and stroke are markedly different with the NC being narrow bore/long stroke 73mmX80mm while the NT is larger bore, short stroke 81mmX56mm. different transmissions and a chain for the NC while the NT has a shaft.

I will stick with the Versys I have for now.

The NC700X and the NT700V are not built off the same platform. The three bikes that are built off the platform with the NC700X are it, the NC700S and the Integra. Of the three only the NC700X is currently being imported to the USA. The NC700S is more of a naked bike version and Honda is calling the Integra a hybrid between a scooter and a conventional motorcycle.

All three use the same frame and engine. The Integra only comes with a dual clutch 6 speed auto transmission while the NC700S and NC700X can be had with either the dual clutch auto or a conventional 6 speed and manual clutch.

A little more info can be found in this test done by a UK bike mag. http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0

Interesting, I kinda like it. Looks like a Crossrunner or whatever Honda calls it where they stuffed the frame with the old VRF800 engine. I guess this is it's lil' brother with a smaller engine and the new dual clutch tranny.

Ed is right, the gas tank is way too small. Of course if it is returning 60mi/gal. it would be ok.

I hear a lot of groaning with Honda designs and I was one of them. The 919 was my first Honda and I gotta say, I'm still loving it. :rider:

Several posters have commented that the NC700x and NT700V share the same platform or engine. As Buffalo pointed out, they aren't on the same platform. Given the displacement, I was under the same impression that they shared the same engine, but they don't. The engines are of completely different origins.

The NT700V engine is a v-twin derivative of the NT650 Hawk. The NC700 is a parallel twin, basically a Honda Fit inline four, split in half. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the NT and NC designations are references to the engine family.

NC700:
Engine Type 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin Bore And Stroke 73mm x 80mm
Induction PGM-FI, 36mm throttle body
Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder

NT700:
Engine Type 680cc liquid-cooled 52 degree V-twin Bore And Stroke 81mm x 66mm
Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 40mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder

Apparently, in addition to the crash bars, led foglights and other "adventure" accessories, they showed dealers a setup with the high front fender and dual sport tires which, coupled with 6" of travel front and back, lends some more creditbility to the "adventure" tag. As long as it doesn't carry the DCT transmission, it seems about as "adventure" as the V-Strom series

Ed is right, the gas tank is way too small. Of course if it is returning 60mi/gal. it would be ok.

The test I posted a link to said most riders shouldn't have much problem getting 58 mpg which would give a range of 200+ miles. Honda says that on the European equivalent of the US EPA mileage test it got 65 mpg.

Honda missed the target with this one. Giving it a 3.7 gallon under seat tank to make room for the storage compartment smacks of a designer team that has no real world riding experience.

The under seat tank is because it shares a frame with the Integra which has a a step through of sorts although it is so high it would probably be easier to swing a leg over the seat instead of trying to step through in front of it. On the NC700X that was unused space so they turned it into a storage compartment.

I corrected my mistake about the shared engine when I realized I made it. See post number 6. Honda is not posting MPG figures yet, but in the real world of mid displacement two cylinder bikes in the 500 pound range give or take a few 50 MPG is about what one could expect. V-Strom and Versys riders I know vary about 5 MPG either side of that depending on riding habits.

Whatever the reason for the small tank that feature will limit owners to 150 mile safe range with 25 to 35 miles of reserve gas.

Honda designed this engine with mpg in mind. It has a number of design features that will supposedly allow it to get much better mileage than other bikes of similar size. They have released mileage figures in Europe and the bikes are already in the hands of outside testers over there. Those testers say it does get better mileage.

The question becomes will any changes made to get it through US emissions testing cause the mileage numbers to go down.

Honda is touting a 240+ mile range on that 3.7 gallon tank.

Owning a 2009 Versys now, I'd really be interested in the performance specs on this new bike. It looks like it is not going to be able to run even close to the performance of the Versys according to the review that has been posted here. I think from the market it is aimed at, it will be a good, economical bike but the ride will be a learning curve for most experienced riders. Shifting at 3K? I do like the price point on the new Honda.

The Versys performance and handling in the twisties is hard to beat. In over 50 years of riding, the Versys is absolutely the best "all around" bike I have ever owned.

The new Honda might me a stable mate for my Versys, but not a replacement unless the performance and handling is better than the Versys, which I find hard to believe.

DALLASDON, If you like bikes with low reving motors that produce all there power down low then flatten out when reved up you will love it. If you like to wind a bike out to get that last ounce of power then look somewhere else. It has a red line of 6,500 rpm and produces it's best power between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. However Honda says it is faster 0 to 75 than the CBF600 while getting 56% better gas mileage. You can see a comparison of the dyno charts for the two bikes in the link I posted above.

There are quite a few other test reports in the European press if you want to look for them.

Edited to add: here is another one http://www.fastbikesmag.com/2012/01/04/2012-honda-nc700x-review/1/

Last edited:
Here's a crazy idea - bring us the TransAlp.

ZACKLY! But I couldn't wait for that to happen so I chose another proven Honda platform and took matters into my own hands. :trust: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66262

IMAG0332-L.jpg

Back