• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is everyone's 2012 riding plans?

R

Red Brown

Hey,

Just checking to see what everyone's riding plans/trips might be for this year?

For me this summer, I hope to feast on both asphalt and dirt in the western states such as Colorado, NM, Utah and Arizona that has many swoops and climbs through the various mountain ranges. Highlights include back-to-back hairpin turns, multiple decreasing-radius turns and smooth pavement that lets you lay it down wherever that might be. However, my specific routes tend to be random or only require last minute planning. I typically look at a topo maps and just go exploring. I find that taking the "path less traveled" often leads to some exciting roads. I hope the drought conditions and fires are much less frequent than last year. I plan to trailer the bike since my days of riding across the windswept furnace of the Texas panhandle are over.

The one ride I as able to map out beforehand is doing as many 12,000+ ft. passes in one day as possible. It comes out to around 100,000 feet of equivalent mountain passes. I have to make sure the passes are clear of snow of course and there is not major blizzard in progress. Attached is the route for the 100,000 foot ride if anyone else wants to try it as well. The ride is around 450 miles.

Happy Trails,

RB

Attachments

• 100000 ft Colorado Peaks Motorcycle rb 2012.gpx
    388.3 KB · Views: 257
I just wanna ride....a lot...all over Texas.
A trip to pearland where my parents live would be cool also.

I have scheduled 2 trips to Barber in Birmingham for races, one for the Rolex cars in April, one for AMA Superbikes in June.

I also intend to rider around Texas more, maybe down to Taylor and over to Kerrville.

But I will get more miles than last year, or I'm getting fired one.

Larry
VFRrider

End of Feb, Big Bend on the Wing.

Spring, NM/AZ on the GS.

Fall, AR for the colors on the GS.

End of the year, back to the desert GS and DR.

Everything in between will be weekend getaways on which ever bike fits the ride plan.

Colorado and the Rockies in general are always a good choice. Good luck with that.

For me, don't know. Would like the see the PCH again, we'll see

I'd like to do a trip to Arkansas, since my trip last year didn't pan out quite the way I'd planned :doh:

I've was thinking about going to Moonshine in April, but I'm really having a hard time letting myself take a week worth of vacation time for a solo trip, when there's lots of places my wife and I could be taking time off together to go ride.

Maybe Colorado? Louisiana sounds nice too.

Oh jeez, what I want to do and what I can take the vacation to do are two *totally* different things.

My reachable goals for this year:
- 10 track days, including 3 different out-of-town tracks
- Become a MSF instructor
- 12k miles
- At least a couple pie runs

My nice-to-have list:
- Most of the pie runs this year (already missed January due to circumstances)
- Out-of-state dual-sporting. CO would be nice, but I'd settle for AR.

I'm learning really quickly this year that getting into more aspects of motorcycling just makes you want to spend *even more* time on the bike.

CDR Colorado with Greeneggs and Co......
Arkansas with sweetwife, I hope.
Commuting as usual; working off the bike.
Billy's at least once or twice...:trust:
Count blessings everytime I can feel the wind; and smell the peace.......
Oh what a tranquil sport we thrive!!
:zen:

More pie runs. January was Brrrrrr.
Southern Utah in September dual sport-2 weeks, Yea
I have 10 track days scheduled and could up that to 12 if I don't use the vacation for something else..

Hoping to organize a TWT event in Franklin, NC the May 19-26th. Street AND DS routes. 5-6 days of riding. Will be working on getting this setup soon.

Also hoping to make the Colorado trip in late August with GHT and everyone else for some spectacular DS riding!!

Not sure if I can go yet, but maybe back to Terlingua and BBRSP with Richard in early March.

No doubt there will be pie runs and other random stuff in there, but that is all the big ones. I hope to get more riding on the trails of the SHNF with the kids in the coming year.

Big bend for 5 days in may. That'll be my Vee's first "out of town" ride.
April I'm planning on going to the beach n bikerfest rally in south padre island and also do my IB SS1000 with other members of TwT. Both of the April trips will probably be on my concours.

Ride as much as possible. I know I'll be riding down to the Texas mile in march, nothing planned any farther than that...

My plan is to ride less this year. After two 20K+ years I'm going to cut back a little.

Tentative plans are for a blitz up to ID, OR, and WA, possibly in May. That would be to just fill in those states on my States Ridden map.
attachment.php

Then a Border To Border from Douglas AZ to Canada ridden entirely on Highway 191 (The Devil's Highway in southern AZ). The goal is to do this in under 50 hours, establishing a new IBA certificate ride. If this happens it will probably be the last week of June. I need to get my passport replaced in order to do this.

I'd like to get back up to Denver in August for the IBA meeting, but I have two inventories scheduled for that week and doubt that I can get the time off.

My plan is to ride less this year. After two 20K+ years I'm going to cut back a little.

Tentative plans are for a blitz up to ID, OR, and WA, possibly in May. That would be to just fill in those states on my States Ridden map.
attachment.php

Then a Border To Border from Douglas AZ to Canada ridden entirely on Highway 191 (The Devil's Highway in southern AZ). The goal is to do this in under 50 hours, establishing a new IBA certificate ride. If this happens it will probably be the last week of June. I need to get my passport replaced in order to do this.

I'd like to get back up to Denver in August for the IBA meeting, but I have two inventories scheduled for that week and doubt that I can get the time off.

:tab I CANNOT believe you lived here as long as you did and never managed to ride in either Arkansas or Louisiana! :brainsnap I guess those were the dead Connie years...?

Tentative plans for a father & son ride to Colorado in early/mid June. He's been there a number of times, but either in an auto or as a pillon. I've got some great routes planned, including the Million Dollar Highway.

Trip to Utah over Memorial Day for WSBC races. :rider: Taking care of my dad has limited my excursions, even on a daily basis. My wife is taking vacation to stay home with him so that I can take this trip. :clap: Hard to beat that.

I just wanna ride. We've got a trailer now to cross waste Texas. This year I wanna ride and not fall down.:eek2:
Tom

Last edited:
Already got 3 trips planned before the middle of the year. Maybe more. Ozark Arkansas and Ruidoso, NM in May. Camp trip in East Texas at the end of the month plus the pie run in Hico. March is a trip to the hill country and either end of March start of April maybe a run down to Big Bend :D

Back