• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best for crash/tip over/slide protection and required mods...?

Reaction score
Hi there newbie here to the site, I did a search but could not find what I was looking for so I'm posting a thread.

I just bought a new to me '08 CND Bandit (with the fairing) and with a nick name like "Fall Guy" I want to do what I can (within reason) to protect my bike from a fall/crash.

I've protected my KLR, DR350/650 and Vulcan but I've never owned a ST/sport bike before so I'm looking for advice on how to protect my new ride. Do I just mount up some Twisted throttle engine guards and call it good (like my dual sport/enduro bikes) or are frame sliders enough and if yes do I buy four of them (one set for the front and one for the rear) or?

Are those $15/pair from fleaebay worthy or does one have to spend $50+ for a set?

Also what other mods are a must for the 1250 Bandit (ie; is there a web page I can go to and find out the whats and the hows)? For example are mirror extenders a must, how about the seat mod to raise the front?, are risers needed (I put risers on all my other bikes to improve riding comfort), hwy bars/pegs? I"m 5' 9" 32 inseam and ~195lbs.

I will be using the bike for long distance touring (ie: 600-800 miles/day), not so much around town.

So far the bike has the following modes:

- Zuk gel seat

- hand warmers

- going to install DL650/1000 hand guards

- Vstream 19" wind screen

- Dale Walker Stage 1

- ATRE

Thanks!

I bought a set off of ebay and they were a not for me. I ended up buying a set of engine guards from Motech with foot pegs so I can stretch my legs out. I also have the Handguards and they help a little - but don't offer that much protection except for misty rain with barely any cold wind protection - I use them for mirror and rock protection. I use heated gloves not grips - I also have heated vest and chaps (wished I got heated jacket and heated pants). I also went with a Sargent seat and wished I did it the day I bought the bike. I am quite comfy riding 6 hours straight (except for gas stops) in anything to about 10-degrees.

Ask away if there's anything that's not covered.

Hi there Kewwig I just had a chance to look at your blog, nicely done and wow do you know how to shine your bike up!

So based on your first hand experience with the crash (sorry about that), what would you suggest a newb like me should get for crash protection (it looked like you were not happy with your front frame slider set up)? Do either Dale or Twisted Throttles nerf bars fit with the lower fairing installed? I'd rather be safe than sorry and put something that will work on before it goes flop flop down road.

Also I have a question about the DL650 hand guard instal. I did the research (or so I thought) and purchased the DL650 hand guard kit and the left hand DL1000 knuckle guard. But then I read your blog post that says I also need a right hand DL1000 pivot spacer as the DL650 left hand one does not work for the left DL1000 knuckle guard. Is that something I can jury rig or do I have to order that little piece as well?

Just to confirm, I need the right hand DL1000 pivot bolt not the left DL1000 one (they have the same part number on the micro fiche and they look the same)?

My bike is stored ~ 8 hours south of me and I won't be getting to it till ~April so I'm doing as much heads up research as possible.

Thanks!

Ask away if there's anything that's not covered.

Hi there Kewwig I just had a chance to look at your blog, nicely done and wow do you know how to shine your bike up!

So based on your first hand experience with the crash (sorry about that), what would you suggest a newb like me should get for crash protection (it looked like you were not happy with your front frame slider set up)? Do either Dale or Twisted Throttles nerf bars fit with the lower fairing installed? I'd rather be safe than sorry and put something that will work on before it goes flop flop down road.

Also I have a question about the DL650 hand guard instal. I did the research (or so I thought) and purchased the DL650 hand guard kit and the left hand DL1000 knuckle guard. But then I read your blog post that says I also need a right hand DL1000 pivot spacer as the DL650 left hand one does not work for the left DL1000 knuckle guard. Is that something I can jury rig or do I have to order that little piece as well?

Just to confirm, I need the right hand DL1000 pivot bolt not the left DL1000 one (they have the same part number on the micro fiche and they look the same)?

My bike is stored ~ 8 hours south of me and I won't be getting to it till ~April so I'm doing as much heads up research as possible.

Thanks!
Thanks. If you have the factory lower fairing, short of cutting holes, only GSG Moto and recently R&G do sliders that fit out the gaps in the top. They will help with a driveway drop, but the risk on the road is that the bike slides further (as mine did), and can potentially hit other things (as mine did).

The DL1000s have different pivots. The part I used was 57431-06G00

Parts that looked like they should fit didn't. You can jury rig the 650s with washers and a screw, but it's not ideal

Hi Kewwig thanks again for the follow up.

Hmmm interesting, seems I gain and lose something by having that lower fairing on. I don't like the sliding farther and bumping into things part, I'm looking for something I can sacrafice to save the more expensive bits but I'm not sure that will be possible with the Bandit set up.

I'm going to email the OEM parts stores and try and get the DL1000 right hand versus left hand pivot bolt thing figured out given the part numbers are the same and they look identical on the parts fiche.

Muchly appreciated!

Hi Kewwig thanks again for the follow up.

Hmmm interesting, seems I gain and lose something by having that lower fairing on. I don't like the sliding farther and bumping into things part, I'm looking for something I can sacrafice to save the more expensive bits but I'm not sure that will be possible with the Bandit set up.

I'm going to email the OEM parts stores and try and get the DL1000 right hand versus left hand pivot bolt thing figured out given the part numbers are the same and they look identical on the parts fiche.

Muchly appreciated!

The parts nos aren't the same on the 02-15 V Stroms that I have looked up, and being in New Zealand we may have some model differences, but usually there's nothing majorly different

Just heard back from Ron Aryes (sp?) and they have the following part numbers for left and right from a DL1000

Left Pivot bolt part number 57431-06g10

Right Pivot bolt part number 57431-06g00

I'll go order the 06g00.

Thanks for all your help through this odysee (sp?)

Just heard back from Ron Aryes (sp?) and they have the following part numbers for left and right from a DL1000

Left Pivot bolt part number 57431-06g10

Right Pivot bolt part number 57431-06g00

I'll go order the 06g00.

Thanks for all your help through this odysee (sp?)

May your odyssey be fruitful and don't forget the pics. You will need to order the screw to go in the top of the pivot too (the 650 has a cap nut)

May your odyssey be fruitful and don't forget the pics. You will need to order the screw to go in the top of the pivot too (the 650 has a cap nut)

Ah, good to know I missed that as well. For the right knuckle cover that would be part number 02142-06107

AND

It looks like I also need to order the bottom "U" nut as well part # 08319-21068

How on that logic...?

I also noticed that there are two different prices and part numbers for the right and left DL1000 knuckle covers. One is $25.70 and the other one is $12.03 (part numbers 57341-06G00-019 versus 57341-27G00-291 for the right one), what is the differece besides a ~50% savings...?

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...00_V-STROM/GroupID/267129/Group/KNUCKLE_COVER

Ah, good to know I missed that as well. For the right knuckle cover that would be part number 02142-06107

AND

It looks like I also need to order the bottom "U" nut as well part # 08319-21068

How on that logic...?

I also noticed that there are two different prices and part numbers for the right and left DL1000 knuckle covers. One is $25.70 and the other one is $12.03 (part numbers 57341-06G00-019 versus 57341-27G00-291 for the right one), what is the differece besides a ~50% savings...?

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...00_V-STROM/GroupID/267129/Group/KNUCKLE_COVER

Nothing special about the nut and I had plenty that would fit. I prefer nyloc on pivots. The guards are really mirror images of each other so who only knows why the price difference. I get most of my lighter stuff Stateside as Suzuki prices here in New Zealand are awful. Through Suzuki NZ, I was quoted USD$908 for a factory gel seat (I got one through EBay for $187)

Back